• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favorite 10+ Minute Songs

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
What are your favorite songs that are ten minutes long or longer?

As for mine,

Tool's "Third Eye" is a fantastic acid trip of musical greatness. Also, "Rosetta Stoned" is noteworthy.

"Ghost Love Score" by Nightwish is one of my all time favorite Nightwish songs. Just plain epic.

And last of all, "Stream of Consciousness" by Dream Theater~ Over eleven minutes of mind-numbing awesomeness.

I'm interested in what you guys have to say.

"Ghost Love Score" by Nightwish is one of my all time favorite Nightwish songs. Just plain epic.

And last of all, "Stream of Consciousness" by Dream Theater~ Over eleven minutes of mind-numbing awesomeness.
You are an amazing person in my mind now. :3

Now prepare to have your minds blown.

Rush - The Camera Eye
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Epiphany
Dream Theater - Octavarium (Dream Theater is the very essence of this thread)

Most of my favorite songs are at least ten minutes long (some over twenty). I think it's worth noting these two are my absolute favorite bands. I like to listen to long music when I'm working or when I want to relax, as it lets me just immerse myself.

"Close to the Edge" by Yes (part 1, part 2)
"And You And I" by Yes
"Heart of the Sunrise" by Yes
"Machine Messiah" by Yes
"The Gates of Delirium" by Yes (part 1, part 2)
All of Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes (four songs, each roughly twenty minutes in length)
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd (the full version is over 26 minutes long, this one is a cut version)
"Echoes" by Pink Floyd
"Atom Heart Mother" by Pink Floyd
"Sheep", "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HxHwuiDPgk&feature=fvst]Dogs", and "Pigs" all by Pink Floyd

All songs from the Head Hunters album by Herbie Hancock that are over 10 minutes :D

also I'm not sure if Cantaloupe Island (also by Hancock) is over ten minutes but if it is than count that in :x

Songs over 10 minutes? Sure!

Magnetic Fields Part 1 by Jean Michel Jarre
something I very, very dearly love (full song on the album is ~17 mins, it's split in two parts in the video I linked)

Chronologie Part 1 by JMJ (again)
Note: the album as a whole is just wonderful but this is the only track over 10 mins P: Same goes for most of the other ones I'm linking here.

Oxygene Part 7 by JMJ
The Youtube video I linked to isn't the full song because I couldn't find the full one, on the album it's 11:41 (and the best part is at the end ;_;)

Second Rendez-vous by JMJ (you might've noticed already, but I'll just say it anyway: I'm a huge fan of his).
This one is just so magnificent and fills up those 10 mins pretty fucking well (again, the youtube version is shorter than the one I have, the full version is 10:55 :C)

Looks like most of the over-10-minutes on my music library come from Jarre :U
There's only something like that AA orchestra thing with all the courtroom suites and some random whale sounds recordings that are over 10 mins, but not 'proper' long songs.

QUICKEDIT: I have this strong urge to write a long paragraph on why everyone should listen to these, but I'll just settle for this little something: Jarre's music goes straight into the feeling center of my brain and takes it to a fucking crazy-ass trip through the galaxy. Every time.

Last edited:
Tubular Bells! :D

Also, I think some of Meat Loaf's songs are over ten mintues. They're long, anyway.
Oh, and some of Oceansize's. Can't think of individual songs.

most songs of Godspeed You! Black Emperor (some of them are even way over 20 minutes long, the longest one being 29)

Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (60 mins long)

Opeth - Black Rose Immortal (20), Blackwater Park, The Grand Conjuration, Ghost Of Perdition, The Drapery Falls, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, To Bid You Farewell, The Moor, White Cluster, The Leper Affinity

Iron Maiden - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Russia On Ice, Time Flies, Anesthetize, Radioactive Toy, Burning Sky

maudlin of the Well - Birth Pains Of Astral Projection

Marillion - This Is The 21th Century

Pain Of Salvation - Enter Rain, The Perfect Element

Explosions In The Sky - It's Natural To Be Afraid

the aforementioned Pink Floyd songs

and tons more, but I got bored of listing them

4 years ago I would've also said all 10+ minutes long songs of Dream Theater, but now I have to say they're just terrible, boring, needlessly long prog wankery (really things like The Glass Prison, The Ministry Of Lost Souls, The Count Of Tuscany, etc. would be 10/10 if they were 3 times shorter, aka if the middle part was taken out. also don't understand why the fuck were 3 minutes of wankery necessary at the end of This Dying Soul when it could've just been ended right before then).

ironically A Change Of Seasons is alright though, despite it being over 20 minutes long (the same can't be said about Octavarium though, which is probably the worst song of the album it's the title song of). I guess Finally Free, Stream Of Consciousness, Learning To Live, Honor Thy Father and Trial Of Tears are also alright, but I don't really have the patience these days to sit through them.

Last edited:
Metal Machine Music Pt. 4 is the fourth-greatest metal song ever written, behind Metal Machine Music Pt. 1, Metal Machine Music Pt. 2, and Metal Machine Music Pt. 3.

Agreeing with Dannichu here, Tubular Bells is pretty awesome.

"Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd (10 min.)
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd (26 min.)
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda" by Iron Butterfly (17 min.)
"I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" by Meat Loaf (12 min.) (Underrated song btw.)

Back
Top Bottom