• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fears and phobias.

Oh god I hate hate hate needles. Hate hate hate. I went to the doctor to get four shots and a blood test all in the same day (the blood test was unrelated to the shots), and I came home sobbing.

I'm also afraid of all of the following:
Heights
People I know dying (not me dying, although I'm scared of people being near me when I die because I don't want them to see...)
Being unsafe (even though I'm not scared of dying!)
Thunder (Not lightning. Even though lightning is what I really should be afraid of.)
Bugs
Sudden loud noises
The dark (except when I'm in my bedroom.)
Being abandoned by people I love because I'm not good enough (to the point where practically every second I spend with other people is spent on making sure I'm like absolutely perfect.)
Talking to people I don't know
Talking on the telephone
Listening to Linkin Park songs (because either they're being screechy and scary, or I'm scared they could start at any moment.)
Balls. Get yer mind outta the gutter.

Oh, I have another.

Ants crawling on the ground near my feet. More of an extreme hate than fear, but I'm afraid they will crawl up my legs and stuff.

And loud, sudden noises, especially high-pitched ones. gaaaaaaaaaah

Anything that pierces skin and is meant to. Needles are the big ones (I'm a huge pussy when it comes to needles), as well as stinging insects, though I've mostly gotten over my fear of those.

Deep water. I can't swim worth crap. I can stay in swimming pools, but good luck getting me into the deepest pool.

Also

Dinru said:
Listening to Linkin Park songs (because either they're being screechy and scary, or I'm scared they could start at any moment.)

I suggest not stealing my iPod.

-Knowing that I'm in danger or I could be in danger. I get all nervous when I'm walking somewhere on my own and there are creepy-looking people around me or I can hear footsteps or whatever.
-Large crowds
-Sorta Fire. I had a bad experience when I was a kid where I accidentally knocked over some incense and I thought I burnt the house down. I'm alright now, but sometimes I get nervous around candles and stuff.
-Jellyfish. Oh god these things have scared me since I saw Finding Nemo when I was 7.
-Leeches.
-Death.
-Touching slimy stuff while swimming. I freak out whenever seaweed wraps around my legs when I'm at the beach.
-Very large dogs. I've had multiple bad experiences when I was a kid involving large dogs jumping on my back and pushing me to the ground.
-Those stupid noises the house makes in the middle of the night. I panic easily, so when I hear those noises I think "ohmygodsomeonesinthehouse" or "ohmygodthehouseisonfire".

I think that's all my fears XD

Spiders, being in crowds aaaaaaand due to having social anxiety, a crapload of stuff most people can do without thinking. Such as using the phone, being out alone, asking people you don't know well for something...

^ That is me exactly.

I guess loneliness, too, although I've gotten used to it by now. Oh, and clowns. Fucking clowns...*shutter*

EDIT: 300th post ^^

I'm only really petrified of being in deep water. Your head goes under, you get all turned around, and you can't wipe the water out of your eyes to see which way to swim because you'll just go under again...

I need some more swim lessons.

Generally do not like cockroaches or two many people talking to me at once, but those aren't really fears, so...

Acrophobia - fear of heights. My brother nearly pushed me into the Grand Canyon when I was small, and there are no rails along the edges. I swear that experience shaved twenty years off my lifespan, and I still can't look down a height of two storeys or so without squeaking.

Weird mechanical noises in the middle of the night, specifically phone alert sounds when they're running out of batteries. I don't know why, they just freak the hell outta me.

Oh yes, and house alarms. There was this one time I was still sleeping, but my dad thought there was no-one else in the house, so he set the alarm as he went out. So I wake up, walk out into the hallway to go to the washroom and brush my teeth, still sleepy and everything... And suddenly there's this huge WEEEEOOOWEEEEEOOO sound that scares me outta my skin.

Finally, peeling oranges. People look at me funny when I say that. But every single time I peel an orange, they squirt some juice in my eye, and it hurts like high heaven. Every. Time. I swear, those little orange spheres have incredible aim. I now have my mom or grandpa peel oranges for me.

Everyone (as in girls, obviously :P) gets forced to have them

Anyone else think it's kinda silly that they only make girls get these? I mean, guys can carry HPV and spread it just as well as girls can, so it'd make more sense to vaccinate guys too, even though they don't have to worry about cervical cancer (for obvious reasons.)

And slightly more on-topic: I'm actually not really afraid of death, or whatever might happen after death, at all. It's the process of actually dying that's scary (especially if it's a slow, painful, or violent death) that scares me, not what it would be like being dead, or death itself. I guess I'd rather die in my sleep, or die in some way that happens just about instantly, than any other way.

Also, my little sister is really afraid of needles... but I don't have too much problem with them as long as I don't see them coming before they're actually in there.

Weird mechanical noises in the middle of the night, specifically phone alert sounds when they're running out of batteries. I don't know why, they just freak the hell outta me.

Oh yes, and house alarms.

Those two apply to me. Even the fire alarm at school scares me.

In addition, jellyfish -- bad dreams about them when I was 8 or so -- and also seaweed. That's why I don't like going to a majority of nearby beaches. More often because of seaweed than jellyfish, though. XD

My fears are:

1)BEEEEES! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!(Im allergic you genius!)
Hieghts, PLENTY much. Since the day I broke my leg when I was 4.
2)cookies needle injections, they are horrible and I already shout in pain BEFORE the injection if the one injecting it isnt a certain person.
3)Then comes my claw phobia- whenever an animal with fangs or claws or both comes to me and puts a paw on me, I start shaking. Well, acctualy, that only counts for my cat.
4) That TV shows like hannah montanna and zack&cody will survive. Lol, joking.
5) I really fear blood and wounds, and therefor almost panic when i bleed bad. Okay, but if my cat scratches me that doesnt count. -.-
6) Cockroach phobia- my bed has the form of a box and im on top of it and cockroaches can climb up and IM AFRAID OF THESE DARN PESTS!
Anyway they're creeeeeepy....

Edit:
Finally, peeling oranges. People look at me funny when I say that. But every single time I peel an orange, they squirt some juice in my eye, and it hurts like high heaven. Every. Time. I swear, those little orange spheres have incredible aim. I now have my mom or grandpa peel oranges for me.

I can understand you. when I peel them, the squirt always flies directly trough the window(yea the kitchen is near a window) and lands on the cats! And i love them so bad.

Well, I hate opening tuna doses because the oil always squirts around and the whole ground becomes slippery as hell. And the tuna is then robbed by my cat.

Edit2: And, by the way, loneliness is my SMALLEST fear. In fact, im addicted to loneliness.
...well thats no wonder when you have been tortured in school for 4 years with stones and knives...

Last edited:
Here goes again I suppose~

- Needles. Common one I guess, but dear gods they break me into a quivering mess. Seriously. The last time I had a jab I passed out in the doctor's office. It was actually from the stress I built up in myself nuking my blood sugar levels - which were on the brim from not eating that day. Still shouldn't be happening at all. <_<

- Death. Also a common one, but I have actually had panic attacks about a year back that lasted for at least a week and led to my ending up on Zoloft. At one point I simply couldn't function and was taken to the emergency room, other days at Uni I had to leave the class to break down into a sobbing mess. It hasn't kicked up like that, but I have relapses occasionally. Just bursts of over-thought existentialism.

- Drowning and Suffocation. A subset of death I suppose, but just the act of drowning seems... terrible. Worse than anything else I could imagine. Note that this isn't a fear of water, in fact I love water. I'm also wary of it. <_<
'Course knowing my luck I'll probably die from drowning in a swimming pool... -in space- just cause.

- Sleeping in the dark/silence. Okay, this one is a bit paradoxical. I love the dark, I love taking walks at midnight, being in dark spaces or at least awake during dark times, and with artificial light. BUT when I try to sleep all bets are off. It has something to do with the aforementioned existentialism - I get waaay too much in my head at night. It's also why I tend to hate sleeping, everyone wants me to do so overnight and all. <_< Going to bed at dawn is a common occurrence. I sleep with a VERY bright (Shade removed, LED bulb) night-light and my radio on timer.

I also have amusing anti-phobias. I rather like spiders for example, and when a room panics I'm usually the one to have to release them. I sometimes go out of my way to be in small spaces - I used to play my DS in a closet. And with hopes of being a pilot I think that nulls fear of heights. I also enjoy fire a good deal and it's surprising I haven't burnt myself rather badly

Anyone else think it's kinda silly that they only make girls get these? I mean, guys can carry HPV and spread it just as well as girls can, so it'd make more sense to vaccinate guys too, even though they don't have to worry about cervical cancer (for obvious reasons.)

Yeah, it'd make sense.
It's worse that the injections for HPV isn't just one, it's three. I'd be far more likely to hang around if it was just one... not that I'd ever hang around for a jab, ever, anyway.
And everyone who's had them has said that they're stupidly painful for at least a few days if not longer.

You get to worry about penis cancer, instead!!

Lucky for you it's extremely rare. Cervical cancer is, quite obviously, not.

In order of extremity.

Spiders
Ship Propellers
Ships Overall
Bridges
Insects
Beaches
Heights
Water

Oh, them HPV shots. I'm normally not afraid of shots, but those things hurt. My shoulder always felt very sore for two or so days after.

To be on-topic, I forgot to mention I'm afraid of using an elevator. When I was little (Why do all my fears stem from experience?) I got my arm caught in an elevator. It didn't actually hurt, not much anyway, but when you're a kid you tend to cry from the slightest things. At any rate, it didn't help that my mom panicked and kept pressing the 'emergency' button instead of pressing the 'open doors' button -.- My arm must've been stuck there for a good two minutes at least. Nowadays, I prefer to use the escalator.

I used to absolutely loathe needles. Then I went to a routine medical exam that involved a vaccine against something or other with my class, and everyone else was getting so worked up over it that I abruptly got over it.

Actually this is a trend in general. Usually I am pretty shy over the phone (for example) but if everyone else around me is even more shy I will roll my eyes and do it.

Nothin' to do but to pull through'em, Neo. In my experience, they actually don't hurt when the juice is being injected. It's sort of a delayed-reaction thing. ...My classmates say otherwise, but what can you do.

Last edited:
It's more the knowing it's coming and the feeling of it going through your skin. It's just awful.

Edit: Not that I remember what it feels like, just terrible past experience I only remember the bad things about.

Back
Top Bottom