• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Give me words

Autumn

bye
Pronoun
she
so for my english class i'm supposed to come up with two words a day that i find somewhere in everyday life (in reading or in conversation) that i don't already know.

when i was nine it was found that i had the vocabulary of a 21-year-old.

there is no way i can find two words a day i don't already know.

but luckily the vocab lists are due every couple weeks so i can always just cram (just finished the first vocab list of 36 words pulled from the internet and also me texting a friend going "Give me big words that my teacher will be impressed that I know!") so here is my request

tcod knows big words, if people will come into this topic and post the biggest/most unfamiliar words they know and i'll work them into my vocab list! YOU'D MAKE A SENIOR SUFFERING FROM SENIORITIS VERY HAPPY :D

EDIT: Posting my name doesn't count.

Lycaonphobia: fear of werewolves.

Also triskaidekaphobia, but everyone already knows that one.

There's tetraphobia, fear of the number 4, but...

Mirth?

Exilerating?

Mortifying?

Din?

You probably already know these words. =(

Sorry i'm not much help.

teacher advised against that. even if he hadn't, i'd still want the words i got to sound as if i really /had/ found them in everyday life instead of from a website that's dedicated to that kinda thing. x3

This seems like a hugely pointless time-waster of an assignment!

Just sit and read some classics for a while. You'll come up with some ridonkulous words.

Girn – To bare your teeth in anger and sadness
Yerd – To beat with a stick
Wamfle – To walk around with flapping clothes
Ribazuba – Ivory from a walrus
Nazzard – A lowly or weak person
Sesamoid – Having the size and shape of a sesame seed
Misodoctakleidist – Someone who dislikes practicing the piano

verisimilitude, and the related verisimilitudinous and verisimilar?

ed: oh, and yclept! yclept is a great word, archaic though. still, I know a person who uses it in poetry.

Last edited:
Promiscuous, circumspect, tribulation...

Sorry for no definitions and general randomness of words. They're just what popped into my head.
In general you can just BS these things by coming up with words that many people don't know. That usually works on my English teacher.

Erroneous - wrong
Irreverent - sarcastic
Insinuate - imply
Pseudonym - pen name
remonstrate - pleading protest, i.e. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE

Antidisestablishmentarianism and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

The first is the idea that church and state should be separate, and the second is a lung disease caused by inhaling microscopic silicone particles.

Back
Top Bottom