• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Heatran

magmavire

Pronoun
any pronouns
Me and tymer55 are having an argument and he insist that heatran is not a legendary so I was wondering just why is he.

I would say it isn't a legendary since I don't recall much text in the game talking about it as a legend, though I can see how it could be considered one.

maybe it doesn't matter if it's a legendary or not?
What's your point? Doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed.

I classify things into baby, breedable, and unbreedable. for all intents and purposes, legendaries and unbreedables are the same, except for the pathological case that is phione, which is really only legendary by word of god.

It has 600 total base stats, the same total as Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi. If it isn't a legendary, it is pretty damn close.

I'd say it is. Didn't team galactic want to wake up Heatran after the elite four? How would they go through all that trouble if he/she didn't have legendary powers over something? My memory is fuzzy and I am sleepy, so I might be wrong...but I still class it as one.

"Legendary" really has no solid meaning anyway, since the category of "legendary" includes all sorts of different things...

1: Some of the most powerful Pokémon in existence, which certain groups of ancient humans viewed as gods due to the fact that they seem to be one-of-a-kind (or at least ridiculously rare in the case of Regigigas and maybe the Hoenn trio; like maybe a population only in the double or triple-digits worldwide) and have the power to mess around with a certain element/force of nature. (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and Regigigas.)

2: Pokémon that are on a similar level as the "god wannabes" but without quite as much mythical baggage (Ho-Oh and Lugia.)

3: Pokémon that are on a similar level as the "god wannabes" that were much more recent in origin, either by a freak mutation or genetically-engineered (Mewtwo and Deoxys.)

4: Pokémon that are much weaker than the "god wannabes," but were still viewed as gods in certain mythologies anyway due to possibly being one-of-a-kind and having a lot of power over certain mental things like emotions and memory (Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf.)

5: Pokémon that are on a lower level than the "god wannabes" or their equivalents, and in most cases don't come with a lot of mythical baggage either... but they're just so rare and rarely-seen that they were originally thought to not really exist by many people. Basically the "Bigfoot/Loch Ness Monster" equivalents of the Pokémon world. (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latios, Latias, Jirachi, Manaphy, Phione, Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai, and Shaymin.)

So whether Heatran is a "legendary" Pokémon or not really depends on how you define "legendary". If you're going to throw out Heatran, you'd have to "de-legendary-ize" at least a few others, too... if Heatran doesn't count as "legendary" just because it's non-unique and has a defined gender, then why would Latias/Latios (who have those exact same features!) still count as "legendary?"

=====

Also... the Japanese version actually has two or three different categories of legendary Pokémon, rather than calling everything "Legendary." This might be part of the reason why there's so much disagreement over what's "legendary" and what isn't.

If I remember right, there's "Phantom" Pokémon (basically group #5 above, the kind that's just so rare that a lot of people don't believe that they really exist), "Legendary" Pokémon (Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, and so on; basically group #2 with parts of #1 mixed in), and then a third group that's exclusively for Sinnoh's mythical Pokémon (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, and maybe the lake trio... I can't remember for sure.)

Somebody that's more familiar with the Japanese version can probably fill in which one goes in which group better than me (I honestly can't remember if the "Sinnoh mythical Pokémon" group includes all the 4th-gen legendaries, or just the ones related to the whole Arceus/Dialga/Palkia story, and I have no idea where Mewtwo, Deoxys, and various others fit in)... though I think I at least got the basics of the three groups down.

Umm.

Game Freak themselves classes Heatran as a Legendary.

PROOF: Anyone remember the Battle Revolution Legend ban a few years ago? They banned every Legendary Pokemon from Wi-fi Battles ((and trades on the GTS iirc)). Heatran was banned too. Case and point.

EXTRA SUPPORT: Heatran has its own sidestory, which must becompleted to reface Gym Leaders.

Last edited:
Then there's another category that defines Arcanine as a legendary but I don't think anyone here considers them legendary :V

That's just a Pokédex type. So Arcanine is only "legendary" in the same sense that Blastoise is a "shellfish", Wooper is a "water fish", or Zangoose is a "cat ferret."

In other words, Arcanine isn't really considered legendary... unless you count Blastoise as some kind of bizarre turtle-like clam rather than an actual turtle. Except in China, apparently.

When I said it's pretty close...

Look at Tyranitar/Salamence/Dragonite/etc.. They are called Pseudo-legendaries because of their legendary-like stats and power. Therefore, if one groups heatran in with them, it is very close to being a legendary. I didn't say it was a legendary, I just said that if it isn't, it's pretty dang close.

Last edited:
Umm.

Game Freak themselves classes Heatran as a Legendary.

PROOF: Anyone remember the Battle Revolution Legend ban a few years ago? They banned every Legendary Pokemon from Wi-fi Battles ((and trades on the GTS iirc)). Heatran was banned too. Case and point.

EXTRA SUPPORT: Heatran has its own sidestory, which must becompleted to reface Gym Leaders.

they also consider phione legendary. and they flip-flop on rotom's status. what is it currently?

Heatran is as Legendary as Aerodactyl or Snorlax in my eyes. Is rare enough that only one is avaliable, but I'm not certain it can be classiffied as a true legendary. It does have the stats for it, though, so it most certainly is open to debate.

Unsure of it, I think Heatran is something of a Pokemon between the legendaries and the very strong non-legend Pokemon, like Dragonite.

The Pokémon fanbase has distorted the meaning of "legendary" beyond all recognition.

Heatran is a legendary Pokémon, much more so than Pokémon like Mewtwo or Manaphy. Why? Because Heatran is mentioned in legends. In DPP, we hear old myths about the legendary Pokémon from Buck and his grandfather, and even Charon wants to use the equally legendary Magma Stone "let awaken the legendary Heatran". Not to mention there's only one (or very few) of its species, it can't breed, it's harder to catch than Arceus and it's stronger than Articuno.

Heatran is a legendary Pokémon, and anyone saying otherwise is being ignorant.

hey im new fuck u super bird

That was unnecessary, insulting, and off-topic. Shame on you.

Anyway, I personally think that Heatran is legendary. How about debating whether or not Rotom is legendary? I find its placement on the PokeDex list a bit confusing.

Back
Top Bottom