• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the fence about homosexuality. I don't consider myself to be homosexual. There are reasons why I think it's okay, mainly because I don't give a hoot about other people's relationships, but I've been raised in an environment that says that it's wrong (I've been going to Catholic schools for 8 years; what else to you expect?), so generally, deep down I think it's wrong, but I don't care. I can't really give a straight opinion.

OK, I was away a long time and missed out on the better half of this debate (literally), but I'm gonna try and do something here.

First of all, if Time Psyduck does not quote this entire post and reply to it, it will clearly show he has the debating skills of a cheese sandwhich. Never leave an argument unchallenged unless either someone else has dealt with it or you have no counter-argument.

Secondly, I would like to point out to Time Psyduck that the majority of the world's population do not believe in his mythology. I am assuming by his use of the Bible as an arguement that he is Christian and by the opinions he has expressed in this debate that he is a Lutheran. I cannot guarantee this of course but the second half of this point is that the majority of Christians don't follow the Lutheran ways of his mythology. If he isn't Lutheran, I sincerely apologise but still, no matter what, the majority of Christians don't follow the view of his sect of the Christian mythology. This means he is part of a vast minority. I'd like to know why every homosexual in the world is evil because your mythology claims it to be, even though a majority, no a colossal majority, does not believe in it.

Thirdly, never has there been anything to suggest the existence of a God. Anything that is totally beyond our ability to explain is simply because we have not amassed the information necessary to explain said phenomena. There has never been any evidence to suggest that an unexplainable phenomena was the work of the deity of a mythology of any kind. My question here is, why should we believe that your deity exists because it is beyond our ability as flawed humans to comprehend something?

Fourthly, having read the Bible a number of times my self, the Old Testament is in fact a great read, almost as good as the Godfather: The Lost Years, which everyone here should read, I say that if you wish to use the Bible as an argument, you must also use it to argue in favour of anything else it permits or doesn't, otherwise you are defining an arguement that you didn't make in the first place, which is above you I'm afraid. Why should you be allowed to interpret a religious book that you didn't write? I also wish to know how you can claim the Bible could be misinterpreted during translation when other holy books have survived the translation relatively unscathed, the Qu'ran for example. Finally, for this point at least, as I said if you use the Bible to say homosexuals are evil, you must therefore also believe it is okay for children to be beaten to death and for women to be tortured into submission by their husbands.

Fifthly, if you are so disgustingly bigoted to believe that a husband controls a marriage, then you barely deserve to live. I wish to know how you can possibly justify a man dominating his wife.

Sixthly, if you believe that homosexuals are evil and that they will be smitten by your mythology's deity (interestingly enough, to be smitten by also means to fall instantly in love with) then explain how countries like the Netherlands can possibly have legalised gay marriage (or rather more fittingly, if less grammatically correct, deillegalised it) without, persay, a tidal wave of molten lava or some other divinely created punishment striking said countries?

I want nothing more or less than answers to these questions, without using your mythology as an arguement, because, as aforementioned, the majority of people do not believe in your mythology and besideswhich, the use of mythology or religion in any moral debate is despicable. If you can do this, you will have converted me to Christianity and turned me into a homophobe in one foul swoop.

Homosexuality is as natural as breathing. It's not something you just wake up one day and decide "OK! I'm going to try on gay and see how it fits!" No. It doesn't work like that. It's a part of human nature and to try and suppress your nature is just wrong.

And I totally agree with gay marriage and adoption. If you love someone, you should have the right to marry that person, regardless of their gender. Luckily I live in a country where gay marriage is legal, but I think that the rest of America should follow California's example and legalize it in all states. Now, a religion should be able to believe in what it wants to believe, but to force it down someone's throat is wrong. I mean, that's how a lot of tragedies in history were started. So you can believe whatever you want to believe, just don't hate someone because of their sexuality. If you really must hate them, then hate them for their actions and character. NOT for something that's as much a part of them as their own soul. And if we were made in His image, then that must mean God is a little gay as well.

Homosexuality is as natural as breathing. It's not something you just wake up one day and decide "OK! I'm going to try on gay and see how it fits!" No. It doesn't work like that.

Does too, you're not gay the first time you screw a person of your same sex.

Like skiing, you try it out first. If you do it a few more times and realize how much you like it, you're a skier.

Or gay.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong with homosexuality. It isn't something that a person can control, so why should you care?

Does too, you're not gay the first time you screw a person of your same sex.

Like skiing, you try it out first. If you do it a few more times and realize how much you like it, you're a skier.

Or gay.

Ehh, I think it's something a little more than that, personally. I've never been out with a girl, I've never had sexual relations with a girl, I've never thought a girl was hot (mainly because I don't think anyone's 'hot' but bleh)... but I sure as hell know I'm not straight.

I'm sure there are people who think they're straight their whole life and then have sex with someone of their own sex and like it, then realise they're not straight after all, but... those are stupid people. =P

Oh aaand I don't think people should even be allowed to 'disagree' with homosexuality. What are you actually disagreeing with? That these people exist or something? You can't exactly disagree on the subject of homosexuality, that's like disagreeing on the subject of apples. Do you not like them, or something? Sure, if you don't like the taste, don't eat them. But you want to get rid of apples worldwide, you say? Even though lots of people enjoy them?

Well, that's called selfishness.

EDIT: Also known as idiocy.

I'm sure there are people who think they're straight their whole life and then have sex with someone of their own sex and like it, then realise they're not straight after all, but... those are stupid people. =P
I disagree with this. A person can go through most of their lives thinking they're heterosexual (often trying very hard indeed to convince themselves of it but sometimes no at all), get married and have children and then fall in love with someone of the same sex and realize they never felt attracted by their spouse in the first place. It doesn't mean they're stupid.

It's more commonplace than you'd think. My mum has met about two or three men to whom this happened :/

It would make no moral difference if homosexuality were the result of a choice.

I disagree with this. A person can go through most of their lives thinking they're heterosexual (often trying very hard indeed to convince themselves of it but sometimes no at all), get married and have children and then fall in love with someone of the same sex and realize they never felt attracted by their spouse in the first place. It doesn't mean they're stupid.

It's more commonplace than you'd think. My mum has met about two or three men to whom this happened :/

Hmm... I suppose you're right.
I don't think it's right though, rather than stupid, to 'fall out of love' with someone because you've discovered you're a different sexuality. It's unfair to them and stupid on your own part not to have considered other sexualities before you got married with them and had children.

But then sexuality should just be abolished so that sort of thing wouldn't happen. :|

I don't think it's right though, rather than stupid, to 'fall out of love' with someone because you've discovered you're a different sexuality. It's unfair to them and stupid on your own part not to have considered other sexualities before you got married with them and had children.

Falling out of love happens. I'd know. :|

Some people do not realize that they are not straight. They might have been living their whole lives with no doubt in their mind that they are straight. Then one day, they discover feelings for someone of their own gender.

These things happen.

But then sexuality should just be abolished so that sort of thing wouldn't happen. :|
I don't think they should be forced to spend their lives with a person they only like as a friend when they're in love with someone else. It's not healthy and it's unfair on the both of the people they're seeing. And many people spend their lives in the closet and utterly refuse to acknowledge their homosexuality until it hits them in the face.

How would you go about abolishing sexuality.

I don't think they should be forced to spend their lives with a person they only like as a friend when they're in love with someone else
I'd rather have whoever was married to me tell me if that happened, rather than cover it up and act like they're not.

Now that I read what I said over again that was very poorly worded

whatever

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom