• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

:D When you finish it, I will speak it with you so that you have someone to practice with! How does that sound?

This reminds me of something which was, at first, mind-boggling to me but then became really cool.
In Hindi, 'kal' means both yesterday and tomorrow. You have to specify the tense to make it clear whether you're talking about yesterday or tomorrow. 'kal' is basically "one day from today".

Once I read about a language that not only has no system of numbers, but has the same word for both "some" and "many".

Once I read about a language that not only has no system of numbers, but has the same word for both "some" and "many".

I think some Aboriginal languages are like that.

My first language is Spanish, and I now speak mostly in English. I like to think I am fluent in both languages and can carry a conversation.

Yay! Another Italian learner! I've just finished learning the basic verb grammar (tenses, etc.) and am about to move onto things like the conditional and subjunctive moods.
it's such a pretty language. i think you're a little further in it than i am, though.
you should send me a pm. we could be like study buddies.

"In fact, trolls traditionally count like this: one, two, three... many, and people assume this means they can have no grasp of higher numbers. They don't realize that 'many' can be a number. As in: one, two, three, many, many-one, many-two, many-three, many many, many-many-one, many-many-two, many-many-three, many many many, many-many-many-one, many-many-many-two, many-many-many-three, lots."

so 4^0 is "one", 4^1 is "many", it stops being a base system and starts just appending random manies.

4^2 is lots?

lots-lot-lots-many-many-three, then, I suppose, would be seventy-five?

I can speak English, obviously. However I only have a vague idea of certain grammar rules, like when to use 'lay or lie', 'while or whilst' and 'good or well.' I've been too lazy to bother with learning grammatically correct English. I also have a terrible time spelling words.

I'm in my second year of German at school, so I can pick up on a few words if I hear German, and write simple sentences that form into a paragraph, that sounds like a second grader wrote it, about the weather, apple juice, and noise pollution.

"In fact, trolls traditionally count like this: one, two, three... many, and people assume this means they can have no grasp of higher numbers. They don't realize that 'many' can be a number. As in: one, two, three, many, many-one, many-two, many-three, many many, many-many-one, many-many-two, many-many-three, many many many, many-many-many-one, many-many-many-two, many-many-many-three, lots."

I am so using this system from now on.

I've randomly picked up tiny bits of Portuguese recently... since my dad's going to work in Brazil for a year or so starting sometime later this year, and he's been learning how to speak the language.

Can't really speak Portuguese at all, but now I know enough random words to not be completely confused if I see something written in it (and I don't mispronounce Portuguese words quite as horribly as I used to when I come across them... who would've guessed that R's are pronounced as H's and "ão" sounds more like "an"?)

Back
Top Bottom