• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I believe that I've read near every page of this thread, and I noticed that there is one thing that this club seems to lack that many others have: namely, fic recs.

I have many of them, but I'll just leave one here for the time being: Background Pony

I've read Final Dream of a Filly! It's uch a great ending that Scootaloo chose her personal heaven to be "living" with Rainbow Dash.

I'll just say three words; My Little Dashie

I loved today's episode! It wasn't just a cliched cartoon mystery; It actually had some clues and with culprits that you wouldn't think that they've done it. Although with one of the culprits "Disappearing", it was obvious who one of them were.

Hasn't anyone noticed that Milda looks awfully similar to Matilda, the mule from "A Friend In Deed"?

I guess it was Rainbow who disappeared, and did think the shutters closing was magic, but didn't think of Rarity and assumed it was Twilight. When she was going to say who disappeared when the conductor was there, I expected that one to be Applejack. Was she even on the train? I don't remember seeing her beyond the beginning.

Awesome episode, possibly my second favorite after Dog and Pony Show. Pinkie's imaginary versions of what happened were priceless, and the references and the gags and the rather adorable final solution. Also, it was a good moral. Twilight's sciencey thinking got to solve the mystery, but Pinkie also learned from it and could solve the second mystery by herself rather than just spending the whole episode as the butt monkey. I wonder if they did it specifically to make up for the anti-scientific vibes of "Feeling Pinkie Keen".

Another great episode.

Even though the entire episode was essentially a Sherlock Holmes parody, that's what made it so good.

@DarkAura, regarding MLD: Loved it at first, but to me, I only felt any emotion on the first read - after that, the whole thing leaves me flat. FDoaF, on the other hand, frequently leaves me choked up.

Speaking of which, here's another fanfic that I really loved: Simply Rarity. It's a deep, introspective piece, although this was written before Sisterhooves Social, which has since rendered this story impossible to happen in canon.

Last edited:
FANFIC REQS EH

well i tried my hand at this whole "writing" thing a while back and apparently i'm not half bad at it I guess???

the story's called "Antipdes" gotten really popular but i hate my early chapters and stuff. It was my first bit of creative writing ever, and... I should probably stop before I just turn people off of the story all together. Here's the Equestria Daily link, or here's the fimfiction one if you prefer going straight to that.

Summary: Set in the far future after Celestia and Luna mysteriously vanished and the sun and moon froze in the sky, Antipodes the the story of two ponies thrust out into the harsh new world on an adventure to uncover what happened to the world so long ago.

(also i really dislike mld)

My Little Dashie is /really fucking creepy/ if you actually think about the scenario. Also the real Dash wouldn't have daddy issues like that. Just sayin'.

That said, I don't... actually.... read fanfic. So.

My Little Dashie didn't really do much for me. It kind of feels like half wish-fulfillment and half the author deciding, "Now I'm going to be heartbreaking." It almost completely ignores the most interesting aspects of its very fantastic premise - would this Rainbow Dash really be meaningfully the same Rainbow Dash when she's had her entire life rewritten? Is it right for Princess Celestia to take her away anyway? Would the other ponies feel right about doing this to her? Didn't they technically murder the original Rainbow Dash? What would life be like having to hide the existence of your adoptive daughter from everyone? - in favor of cute baby Rainbow Dash, fairly generic father/daughter stuff, and then the inevitable forced separation with everyone crying. The premise itself, meanwhile, is really egregiously handwaved - "Oh, we were doing a completely unrelated spell, and it just happened to go wrong in this extremely unusual, particular, rather creepy way that means your friend as you knew her basically died and had to relive her whole life in another universe. And it completely coincidentally also made a cardboard box with 'Please give me a good home' on the side. Moving on!"

All this makes it come off like the premise is just a halfhearted excuse for the cute/father/daughter/forced separation part, which makes it seem pretty, well, forced. Good heartbreaking fiction doesn't set out to be heartbreaking; it sets out to explore a premise that happens to lead to heartbreak. There is too much left unexplored about My Little Dashie's premise to make it feel like it really does that.

Or, to look at it from another angle, every aspect of what it actually does explore could have been done better in a story with a less fantastic premise. The fact he went with this one anyway feels suspiciously like he just wanted to write about a brony getting to be Rainbow Dash's dad. The fact it was Rainbow Dash and not, say, some random alien was pretty much completely incidental to the storyline, but made the premise fifteen times more contrived.

Also it's called 'My Little Dashie' which is just the world's stupidest title, let's face it.

So, what did everypony think of the season finale? :o

I myself would have to say that it were a V to I Cadence. ;)

The ending wasn't exactly what I wanted. (pt 1 spoilers)

And I'm not the biggest fan of the songs from Part 1 or the end of Part 2, but the villain song they do (and reprise) is pretty amazing. I kind of remember getting distracted by the lyrics on the first go of the villain song, but the instrumental portion was... beyond words.

All in all, liked the episodes.

It was amazing

Even though parents nearly foiled my plans of watching the last ~10 minutes, I succeeded in the end
Mostly

The ending felt a bit anticlimatic but that's probably because they needed to fit it in the 20 (40!) minutes more than anything.

I'm also wondering about Cadence's magic. Her special talent seems to be love related, but I don't really want it to be "make people love each other" since that would just be weird, especially since Hearts and Hooves day was all about how much of a bad idea that is. So I'm going with her talent is bringing out the feelings of love that are already there, just not showing.

The ending felt a bit anticlimatic but that's probably because they needed to fit it in the 20 (40!) minutes more than anything.

I'm also wondering about Cadence's magic. Her special talent seems to be love related, but I don't really want it to be "make people love each other" since that would just be weird, especially since Hearts and Hooves day was all about how much of a bad idea that is. So I'm going with her talent is bringing out the feelings of love that are already there, just not showing.

tumblr_lx1auhue2M1qbcwmwo1_500.png

The only way this episode could be made better would be More Luna. At the end, she just asked if she missed anything. CANTERLOT WAS UNDER ATTACK. I would've liked it if she had fought off some Changelings so that the mane 6 could get to the EoH.

Back
Top Bottom