• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nadya Suleman

Mirry

This has been all over the news and such lately, but I don't think I've seen a topic here about it yet. Anyway, if you don't already know what's going on with this single mom of 14, here's a good article on the subject.

What do you think? Is it irresponsible, or is it none of our business what this woman does with her body?

I've only read those two articles, but from what I can tell, she didn't ask for octuplets. Sure, she wanted more children, but you can't call having eight at once irresponsible; if someone had 14 kids individually, most people would see it as extreme, but having 6 and then concieving again isn't unusual at all.

And, ultimately, it's completely her choice. Being pro-choice is just that - believing that a woman should have full say over what happens to her body. If she chose to have an abortion, nobody here would judge, but because she chose to go through with an 8-kid pregnancy, you'll say she forfeits the rights to her own body?

She went to a fertility clinic in order to conceive again, though. What's ridiculous is that someone actually supported her in getting pregnant again and implanted all six.

I don't think she should have had the children, Dannichu, but I definitely support her right to go through with the pregnancy and birth.

I don't think she has the right, however, to raise children in an environment that is entirely not suitable for raising children - the woman is relying on donations and food stamps among other things, is one woman raising fourteen kids by herself, and isn't raising them well either - neighbors report constant screaming, yelling, and fighting. I think you'll agree that it's not a good situation for any of the children at all.

Octuplets? God having one baby would be be painful, but Octuplets? She must have been happy that was over.

Anyway, It's her choice. She wants children, she can have children.

She went to a fertility clinic in order to conceive again, though. What's ridiculous is that someone actually supported her in getting pregnant again and implanted all six.
You actually implant more than one baby because the fetuses are prone to dying; she was probably in peak condition during pregnancy, hence the eight kids living. The doctor was probably expecting one or two babies surviving.

While I think it's her choice, it's irresponsible to keep all the kids. Putting them for adoption is painful, but it's gonna have to come to that if she wants the kids to live properly. She can keep contact with them, sure.

If she really, honestly can't take care of them (which seems likely) then somebody's going to end up stepping in anyway.

She can have all the kids she wants :B

This sums up my thoughts rather well:

bitchphd.blogspot said:
I am horrified at the vitriol being directed at Nadya Suleman.

I am shocked at the disgust that oozes from Anne Curry in this interview.

Appalled, but not surprised, by the death threats.

Why not surprised? Because single moms and poor people are the country's favorite punching bags. Oh, and because who doesn't love a good dose of micromanagement of strangers' reproductive choices on the side. We are, on the other hand, quite comfortable with childhood turned into a consumable entertainment product. Better kids be commodified and marketed than be supported with public funds.

America, you are not entitled to be outraged by a stranger's decisions about her uterus.

Oh, the "death threats" are from 4chan. She needn't worry.

I saw the thread; Operation Octopussy.

Even if she could give them all good care, I still think that something's a little off with having that many children... but whatever, that's me thinking about population.

I only hope that those children are well cared for. I really don't think she should have kept all eight of those children especially since she's already got some children with special needs.

I can't believe she's gotten death threats, though.

Even if she could give them all good care, I still think that something's a little off with having that many children... but whatever, that's me thinking about population.

I only hope that those children are well cared for. I really don't think she should have kept all eight of those children especially since she's already got some children with special needs.

I can't believe she's gotten death threats, though.
It's 4chan; the place is full of 21-year old virgins living in their parents' basement. They can't do anything.

I am horrified at the vitriol being directed at Nadya Suleman.
er why
Yeah she should be allowed to do what she wants with her body, but she's still an idiot and it only follows that people are going to treat her like one! :V

Did you read my post? I really don't give a damn about whether or not she wants to have kids, that's her choice.

I did, and that post wasn't directed at you. I just found it and figured I'd cross-post it here because it was relevant.

er why
Yeah she should be allowed to do what she wants with her body, but she's still an idiot and it only follows that people are going to treat her like one! :V

Plenty of people do far more stupid things than have the audacity to have many children, but the media don't attack them; young, poor, single mothers so often have to bear the brunt of the judgemental media (teen pregnancy has dropped in the UK every year for the last three decades, but the media still feel the need to report about how we're in "a society without morals" or whatever all the damn time).

Having lots of kids does not give the entire world permission to judge and mock you.

I heard that the doctors thought that there were going to be seven babies.
Imagine her surprise at the eighth.

Back
Top Bottom