• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New decade, new forums

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
Welcome to the newest incarnation of the Cave of Dragonflies forums!

As you can see, I've upgraded the forum software to a shiny new XenForo over the more than a decade old vBulletin 3.8. As of this writing, I have not yet created any custom styles, and I'm sure there are a bunch of kinks to work out. Please comment on this announcement if anything is strange, not working properly, or just annoying you, so that I can try to do something about it as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, the various vBulletin hacks present on the old installation did not carry over; if there was data there that you need, please let me know and I can retrieve it from the old database.

With this, I've also taken the opportunity to simplify the forum rules by a lot, because who has time these days to read essays on common-sense proper behaviour.

I'm hoping to announce an opening mafia game soon, for those of you who enjoy mafia; it'll have to be handled a bit more manually with no mafia hack (for the moment), but I'm hoping to make it a revival of that infamously massive TV Tropes Mafia game that sputtered and died years ago, just to give you all a big nostalgia trip if you were there. There's also been some exciting discussion about RP and reviving ASB. Let's see if we can bring this zombie back to life now that it's shambled its way into modernity.

EDIT: The Forum Revival TV Tropes Mafia Revival is live!

To-do list:
- Check out if the spoiler BBCodes (or others) need to be fixed
- Install username change mod
- Make random BBCode work
- Create some styles
- Check out creating a visitor message conversation mod

Last edited:
FIRST!!!! And super hype for TVTropes Mafia!

Happy new decade, TCoD! Let's make it great!

Edit: oh dear, I see the tag is one I'm going to be missing, haha.

Actually it looks like I could totally add the random tag back. You can make BBCodes with PHP callbacks on XenForo!

...not now, though, I need to go to bed.

Yeah, you can do a lot with custom BBCodes! And once you write one I can C/P it onto my own forums I mean what

But you should also definitely go to bed!

I am glad to see that tcodf has finally entered the age of Social Media

Everything looks different! Shiny and fresh. It does feel like a social media upgrade now, @Eifie

...can I actually @ you? That would be amazing. Let's see what happens.

edit: yes, I can actually @ you!!!

edit: you can REACT to posts?!?!!?!? this is truly the age of social media and I'm pretty excited about this

omg random signatures are ruined. this is so sad can we hit fifty likes

this software is so shiny though! CIRCULAR profile pictures? share icons at the bottom of every page!? we are living in the future

omg random signatures are ruined. this is so sad can we hit fifty likes

this software is so shiny though! CIRCULAR profile pictures? share icons at the bottom of every page!? we are living in the future
oh man you're right, I didn't even notice the circular profile pics. this is truly the future

I have now (hopefully) run a thing to fix posts using the defunct [hide] tag that we used to have, replacing it with XenForo's spoiler tag (which works like our hide tag used to); made a working version of the random BBCode; and installed a mod to allow you to edit your usernames once a month. Will actually get to work on styles tomorrow! Let me know if there are any other posts messed up by the forum upgrade so I can fix them.

While you're doing style stuff, could you make the text colour in signatures in this theme contrast a bit more? Right now signatures are a bit difficult to read.

I also really miss the functionality where I could double-click the icon next to a forum (the one that turns orange if there are unread posts) to mark that forum as read. Is there a mod to get that with Xenforo? Also, the "are you sure?" prompt when trying to mark all forums as read is kind of annoying (though mostly because I'm using it to just mark one forum as read).

Sure! Muted text color is now a little darker.

EDIT: There also seems to be a mod for the double-click thing, will add when I get home.

EDIT2: Added!

Last edited:
I've created a basic Roar of Time style, so as to get us started with a dark mode. Feedback welcome; it's definitely not perfect yet but I need to do some drawing and go to sleep.

Not entirely sure where to put this, so if I'm in the wrong thread for this, I'll be happy to relocate, but it seems that in the transition to the new forum, the ability to edit your user title was lost. It's not too pressing of an issue, since I don't think anyone's too unhappy with what they have, but I imagine sometime down the road some people might want to get rid of what they have now

I was wondering about that too! Mine just says "New member" and I was hoping to change it eventually.

I mean... i like marshadow but i'm too EDGY now. (Not that marshadow wasn't edgy but).
I'd much prefer to be a MEW fan or something else entirely.

Not entirely sure where to put this, so if I'm in the wrong thread for this, I'll be happy to relocate, but it seems that in the transition to the new forum, the ability to edit your user title was lost. It's not too pressing of an issue, since I don't think anyone's too unhappy with what they have, but I imagine sometime down the road some people might want to get rid of what they have now

Oh yeah, that's something I'd definitely want back! Along with the Egg, Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree default user titles if possible... they were cute.

Back
Top Bottom