• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obama speech

octobr

silence is scarier
Pronoun
it
Did anyone catch it? I only got the tail end of it but I can assure you it was not FORCING LIBERAL VIEWS!!! on the kids.

I thought it was a really nice speech, what I saw. Didn't babble on about the government. Didn't talk about THIS IS WHAT I'M GONNA DO AW YEAH. Went 'hey, kids. Here's some tips.' He really focused on the audience and that they are the future of the country and that they have the capacity to move past mistakes we made before. Like, he said (not necessarily direct quote, but close enough): "If you get into trouble, you are not a trouble maker. You just have to work harder to do what's right. If you get a question wrong, you are not stupid. You just have to study." Thought it was really nice, you don't get to hear often that guess what just cause this and this happens doesn't mean that you have to give up. He stressed failure a lot -- that it wasn't a weakness or the end of the world, that the most influential people often had the worst failures, etc.

Anyone else see it?

No, but it sounds right. Glad there's somewhere where the kids aren't being mentally beaten down by the system.

Here in Britain, everyone thinks kids are evil little bastards. Especially in school. "More kids are passing exams? MAKE THEM HARDER." And when less kids pass as a result of this, they say kids are stupid. Good logic.

I didn't really enjoy it. It was just stuff that they've been telling us for the last however many years: STAY IN SCHOOL, DO YOUR WORK, and WORK TOWARDS GETTING A GOOD JOB.

I read the transcript online last night, and it seemed to be a pretty good speech. My school left it up to the teachers whether to show it or not, and my English teacher decided we had a more important video about archetypes in LoTR to watch, so I didn't actually get to see it. >:(

I'll probably YouTube it later.

and my English teacher decided we had a more important video about archetypes in LoTR to watch, so I didn't actually get to see it. >:(

what the hell, who would prefer contentless fluff to a video about archetypes in LotR?

No, but it sounds right. Glad there's somewhere where the kids aren't being mentally beaten down by the system.

Here in Britain, everyone thinks kids are evil little bastards. Especially in school. "More kids are passing exams? MAKE THEM HARDER." And when less kids pass as a result of this, they say kids are stupid. Good logic.
IAWTC SO MUCH.

liking for USA +++

the school system here didn't show it because of an avalanche of complaints.

the way you describe it makes it sound good, though. i was looking forward to what it had to say.

yeah, we didn't get to watch it either. suck my dick, texas. all the kids in my class were like "OH THANK GAWD NO OBAMA."

My social studys teacher offered to play it during lunch for anyone who wanted to hear it. I was among the four in the classroom. :>

I liked his speech, even though my dad has told me the same things quite often and I was already doing and telling myself most of the things Obama said.
"Mistakes are okay, as long as you learn from them and do better next time."
Ah, I love my dads life wisdom. |3

only some classes in the school got to see it, i wasn't one of them. hoping i get to see it tomorrow during school.

Saw the first few minutes. In any case, CBS decided halfway through it that they would prefer to talk about how MONUMENTAL the speech is rather than show the speech. argh

It sounds like stuff every kid should do, not LIBERAL PROPAGANDA. Didn't Bush Sr. do the same thing? I guess every once in a while, presidents have to be all "Hey kids, stay in school~".

Last edited:
artduck14.gif

Didn't Bush Sr. do the same thing?

He did almost exactly this, actually. Everyone was all for it then.

Maybe it's how black obama is. blackity black black yo dawg stay in schoo' or i pop a cap in yo ass, word

VPLJ -- beautiful.

I don't know why I didn't get to listen to it in school.
Except maybe that they'd already taken enough time out of our learning to give us pep talks at the beginning of the year.
Sort of listening to the speech now.

I did not watch it. However, I'm downloading it right now, so I will watch it sometime soon.

Also, I think the Republican party tried to keep kids from watching the speech so they can skip school, stay stupid, and vote Republican. Because, you know, Republicans hardly sound like they have educated opinions.

...and my English teacher decided we had a more important video about archetypes in LoTR to watch, so I didn't actually get to see it. >:(

What?! You actually do something cool in English class?! All I read are poems and shit. You should be lucky.

Our school didn't watch it, for three reasons: A text was going around, saying that Obama was going to have kids pledge allegiance to him "Like Hitler did" (I didn't believe a word of it) and my mom (a teacher) said that it is discouraged form showing live shows because you never knew what was going to happen...like a space shuttle blowing up... And because it was going to be shown online, the connection crap that it would take to stream the speech of the internet to the entire school would be pretty much impossible.

Back
Top Bottom