• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Out of Context TVTropes Mafia Quotes Mafia

i guess i don't really understand what your bar for sufficiently "bothered" or "engaged" is—these posts read to me like seshas is actually quite open to and concerned about the prospect of a cult. what would you have rather seen them post? you say seshas is concerned about the cult vs. mafia thing but don't like that she didn't do anything about it—what is she supposed to do? none of us know for sure that a cult exists
it's not that i take issue with or think that she's not 'open' to the prospect, it's that i'm reading this like she doesn't care at all either way/isn't engaging with the idea. i'm worried that it's because the existence, or nonexistence, of a cult is irrelevant to her or something altogether
i don't really see any of those posts as 'concern' tbh, i think she sounds kinda (shrug) about the idea either way? especially when there's been a lot of threadspace devoted to it
-m
sorry if that doesn't really make sense. i'm not really expecting her to be panicked about it, i'm not really panicked either, but i feel like she's weirdly apathetic to the idea for being town (and that some of her posting, eg 334 insisting that it's possible for a town/cult joint-win to be in the cards just felt avoidant to me)
-m

Hey, MF / skylar, what / who do you think I should be focusing on?

I'm like really tempted to townread rari checking Despicable Meme's post for a random tag, but I don't think that actually means anything lol

also, for the record: I'm out of time to do this right now but I've been trying to figure out who was the first person to state that the town PM in this game explicitly names killing all mafia as the wincon -- mafiosi have no way of knowing that for sure and would prefer for a townie to point it out first in order to pretend like they got the same thing, so being the first to claim it is a pretty towny thing

so, if someone else remembers who it was exactly... I think it was either trebek or kyeugh?

also, for the record: I'm out of time to do this right now but I've been trying to figure out who was the first person to state that the town PM in this game explicitly names killing all mafia as the wincon -- mafiosi have no way of knowing that for sure and would prefer for a townie to point it out first in order to pretend like they got the same thing, so being the first to claim it is a pretty towny thing

so, if someone else remembers who it was exactly... I think it was either trebek or kyeugh?
skylar! that's exactly what i was talking about here
there is another thing she said that i think might make her ~lock to me but i want to wait a bit
yeah should have specified, i’m leaning much towards world B, but wanted to acknowledge both possibilities
i don't think it's a possibility. my role pm says that i win when all mafia are eliminated. doesn't yours? 🤔

Hmm, assuming that RNP is actually v, I think that makes Despicable Meme fairly likely to be v, too. Given all RNP said about his role, I think v/w isn't actually out of the cards yet of course, but like, claiming mafia now would basically be outing...

(I just conceptualized something really despicable they could do wrt that, I think it's too cursed to say out loud)

I think this is valid, I tried asking Mawile for the mafia win condition and he said he couldn't tell me anything that wasn't in my role PM

I can understand early votes -- you all know I've done a bunch of them myself -- but what, pray tell, was the expected gain from "I'm vibing, let's wagon" that early?
aren't you supposed to vote for people you think are scum? i placed my vote because i didn't like koko's posting/tone at the time and e's done nothing to improve my opinion.
can you talk more about that? i actually think i might be villareading koko (i think eir paranoia might be a towntell) but am curious to hear more
are you villareading seshas or do you just disagree with those posts being scummy?

-m
bit of both. i do disagree those seshas posts are scummy at all, but the main reason i'm townreading seshas right now is because i don't think she's w/w with koko, and i believe koko is w. my logic here is a bit circular; initially my read on em was just sort of nebulous and tone-based, and i was getting vaguely disingenuous vibes from most of the Points e was making, but i've also disliked their reaction to the votes on em—eir lack of engagement there feels to me like a wolf trying not to look like they're panicking about a few votes. then, as we approach eod, i'm increasingly convinced these wagons are w/v, which sort of strengthens my belief here.

i do disagree those seshas posts are scummy at all, but the main reason i'm townreading seshas right now is because i don't think she's w/w with koko, and i believe koko is w.
cool, i agree with them not being w/w. i mentioned oscillating on my kokoread earlier and it was kinda because of what you said - the 'disingenuous' bit - and i was also vaguely thinking about the vote reaction but i also am not sure if i really think v!koko would act all that differently, it could be consistent given what e's said about eir approach to this game? i keep rereading the long cult-spec convo between you/trebek/koko/seshas/me to try to figure something out and i can't tell.

whenever rari shows back up she'll probably talk me into SRing koko again lol ...

-m

okay, so, I have a bunch of other smaller suspicions of seshas that I don't have time to be sidetracked by, but, I'd like to nominate the following as the emblematic weird post:
I'm reading Trebek as cultist but I don't think he's a wolf pending some mechanics working the way I think they do
Wooloo tier is: I townread these and I'm moderately confident
I have an aligned read on RNP/HMF and HMF has been moderately towny thus far
"I think Trebek is in the cult but I don't feel pressed to lynch him for it", in other words -- something adjacent to what you might recognize as "eh, MF is probably scum, but why don't we lynch RNP instead" (cfr tv tropes mafia)

instead, she wanders off to push on Kokorico, in a toneread that personally I'm not remotely seeing, and park on there while also openly giving up on keeping her read of em up to real time

this overall doesn't sound to me like someone who's playing with town's best interests at heart

Aww I'm sorry to hear that Seshas and storm, hope you feel better soon!

yeah i think thats what makes me a little bit weirded out about it bc like the role seems like it would work much better alongside some other way of gathering information, be it an extra component to the role or external chat

im down to just vibe for now tho
idk if I should like this for the mindmeld or just, like, full commit to idea of RNP being town like I'm tempted to and hrmm at this casting doubt (but also MF did something similar, and like I mindmelded, so don't think it's super out of the blue) - leaning toward the former I guess, especially because I feel like he talked a bit less about mech super early in Tarot/ACNH, though there was less to talk about

initially my read on em was just sort of nebulous and tone-based, and i was getting vaguely disingenuous vibes from most of the Points e was making
oh, can you point me to a few places where you got that vibe?

getting cold feet kind of as this goes on ... but i have a bad gut feeling about seshas for the reasons i described, am hoping things sort themselves / i figure myself out within the next few hours. trying to rely more on my instincts this game and if it's between seshas/koko i think koko is sounding more within eir town meta
-m

"I think Trebek is in the cult but I don't feel pressed to lynch him for it", in other words -- something adjacent to what you might recognize as "eh, MF is probably scum, but why don't we lynch RNP instead" (cfr tv tropes mafia)
yes tbh
i wrote that off at the time to "eh, i guess she's just thinking he's a benign 3p" but then was 🤔 because of her later post about how she thinks there's a chance there's no mafia, only a cult
-m

i don't think it's adjacent at all? like i've said a few times, we should absolutely not be using the lynch for the cult, least of all before we know for sure a cult even exists. it was just speculation.

i keep rereading the long cult-spec convo between you/trebek/koko/seshas/me to try to figure something out and i can't tell.
i'm not sure what to make of the cult-spec convo either, but i will say that it didn't really feel... dialectical to me, i guess. like, in essence i felt more like i was pushing people to accept things that they were trying hard not to accept for reasons and on grounds that remain unclear to me. it didn't feel like the intent was to uncover truth. idk if that means anything, i'm having trouble articulating it.

yes tbh
i wrote that off at the time to "eh, i guess she's just thinking he's a benign 3p" but then was 🤔 because of her later post about how she thinks there's a chance there's no mafia, only a cult
-m
again, not that i think she should have started using this as her working theory etc. but these don't all fit together in my mind and i keep feeling like she's breezing past it in a ~sus way
-m

Sorry, I'm kind of confused, could you explain further? I don't have the context, but are you saying you think like, Seshas/Trebek are mafia partners and they're leaning on this cult thing to defend him?

This is possibly a faulty assumption, but I would expect the mafia win condition to be like "when eliminating all threats to mafia is assured" or something, so then eliminating possible cult would also be ~beneficial to mafia. In other words, generically I feel like third party hunting is pro-both mafia and town but town should probably focus on hunting for mafia, so like... I guess I'm landing at ehh I feel like Seshas probably just states that regardless of alignment if they really do have a cultist read on Trebek, with the "I don't feel like killing him for it" being a 'pro-town' addendum

Back
Top Bottom