• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Out of Context TVTropes Mafia Quotes Mafia

I feel like he talked a bit less about mech super early in Tarot/ACNH, though there was less to talk about
putting a pin in fact checking this because I've got very little memory of his earlygame play in these games

oh, can you point me to a few places where you got that vibe?
i tried to do this when i wrote my post about my read on em a minute ago, but i can't really, sorry. it would basically amount to just, like, quoting eir posts and telling you to read them, haha. it's nothing i can pinpoint so much as a bad feeling.

Sorry, I'm kind of confused, could you explain further? I don't have the context, but are you saying you think like, Seshas/Trebek are mafia partners and they're leaning on this cult thing to defend him?

This is possibly a faulty assumption, but I would expect the mafia win condition to be like "when eliminating all threats to mafia is assured" or something, so then eliminating possible cult would also be ~beneficial to mafia. In other words, generically I feel like third party hunting is pro-both mafia and town but town should probably focus on hunting for mafia, so like... I guess I'm landing at ehh I feel like Seshas probably just states that regardless of alignment if they really do have a cultist read on Trebek, with the "I don't feel like killing him for it" being a 'pro-town' addendum
i'm villareading trebek for now actually
it's not really that i think she had an agenda there that lined up with her being scum, it's that i thought the progression didn't make sense. like i'm seeing this as

"trebek sounds cultist" > eh, probably fine/3p, disregard > i think there's seriously a chance mafia ~= cult > [mostly discarding earlier trebek read] > shrug at prospect of cult

and aiui (as per links like this/my natural assumption) town should be concerned about the possibility of a cult existing in a way that mafia might be ambivalent to, since it doesn't really matter if a cult leader tries to recruit mafia. i'm maybe messing this up even more because i view seshas as a player who's good at, like, surveying to/respond to the landscape and it struck me as weird that she skirted around this topic when it was more or less the thread focus for a long while

-m

own should be concerned about the possibility of a cult existing while mafia might be more ambivalent, since it doesn't really matter to a wolf if a cult leader tries to recruit mafia
unclear phrasing

I dunno; this feels quite a lot like you're both coming up with reasons why seshas could be town despite her posts, and not because of her posts. I suppose it's understandable coming from Keldeo who has to do this on a lot of unread posts and... kyeugh has a quasi mech clear anyway, but regardless

"trebek sounds cultist" > eh, probably fine/3p, disregard > i think there's seriously a chance mafia ~= cult > [mostly discarding earlier trebek read] > shrug at prospect of cult
i feel like, if you're townreading trebek, this should actually suggest towniness for seshas to you. as mafia, wouldn't she capitalize on the opportunity for a mislynch? several people were echoing the idea that trebek was a cult member at the time.

i feel like, if you're townreading trebek, this should actually suggest towniness for seshas to you. as mafia, wouldn't she capitalize on the opportunity for a mislynch? several people were echoing the idea that trebek was a cult member at the time.
i see your point, but don't know if i think that the absence of a bad push = towncred for seshas automatically, especially if she's mafia and content to let the cult grow :v

i am semi-sorry for being tunneled here.

-m

I dunno; this feels quite a lot like you're both coming up with reasons why seshas could be town despite her posts, and not because of her posts. I suppose it's understandable coming from Keldeo who has to do this on a lot of unread posts and... kyeugh has a quasi mech clear anyway, but regardless
i don't see how "i don't think her posts are scummy and in fact think they're fine" is reasoning in spite of her posts? it actually seems to me like you're looking for reasons to feel bad about her posts to support your read rather than genuinely engaging with the information. i'd probably be scumleaning you for it if not for the rnp thing, because you're definitely tunneling and on a person i'm fairly sure is town no less.

i see your point, but don't know if i think that the absence of a bad push = towncred for seshas automatically, especially if she's mafia and content to let the cult grow :v
it may not be automatic towncred, but i definitely don't think it's a BAD look either. also, mafia should not be content to let the cult grow whatsoever—they both win they achieve majority, and mafia is only going to shrink overtime while cult expands.

admittedly i just don't really make reads about "they COULD have pushed more here" d1 because i think i'm not very good at that
the tl;dr is like, in my mind,
town either a) thinks a cult could exist and is at least vaguely Hmm! about it or b) thinks it's a hoax (a la mist, i think) and is fine disregarding it for now. complacency in option (a) doesn't make sense to me given what a cult could mean for town, and i agree with what hmf was saying earlier about how, at /best/, it would point to a sort of naivete (not understanding cult anti-town potential) that i don't think seshas has

while i think mafia would be happy to let it vibe/not engage in discussion because a cult doesn't endanger mafia, AND because the threadtalk has dominated/confused town so much. this is also where part of my skylar villaread comes from (and koko to a lesser extent)

-m

it may not be automatic towncred, but i definitely don't think it's a BAD look either. also, mafia should not be content to let the cult grow whatsoever—they both win they achieve majority, and mafia is only going to shrink overtime while cult expands.
nah it's not a bad look! i just mean that it wasn't really something i was adding to a +v list yet.
i didn't really think about the second part though, thanks for pointing that out
-m

I mean, honestly I have no idea how to evaluate the relative likelihood of the possibilities "no cult, Mawile is just screwing with us" and "there is a cult (in which case it's an active danger etc.)". I guess we should maybe prepare for the worst, i.e. assume the latter?

But I really don't know how we could actually hunt for cultists because like... the only "TMI" that the cult would have that could distinguish them from town is effectively (1) cult exists, (2) protect fellow cultists, (3) possibly being less solvey (but they still need to solve, right?)

town either a) thinks a cult could exist and is at least vaguely Hmm! about it or b) thinks it's a hoax (a la mist, i think) and is fine disregarding it for now. complacency in option (a) doesn't make sense to me given what a cult could mean for town, and i agree with what hmf was saying earlier about how, at /best/, it would point to a sort of naivete (not understanding cult anti-town potential) that i don't think seshas has
i think we're talking in circles here so i'm not going to push you too much on this after this post, but i'm still not seeing why seshas's posting is "complacent." i get the impression that maybe this is a feeling you had in the moment, and now you're kind of reading it into their posts? but i don't really understand how you think town should be acting towards the cult, or how seshas's play contradicts that—do you think she should be hunting for cult members, maybe? but no one is doing that. i feel like, given that we don't know if a cult exists, all anyone can really be expected to do is give their two cents on the matter, and seshas has done that. i don't think the panickedness of one's tone wrt cult stuff is a good indicator of alignment here, and that's the only thing i can really see what you mean about. i guess, like, you've kind of been going, "i feel this way, and i feel this way because of these posts," but i'm getting lost at why those posts make you feel that way, i guess. it does indeed feel somewhat tunnelly to me

I mean, honestly I have no idea how to evaluate the relative likelihood of the possibilities "no cult, Mawile is just screwing with us" and "there is a cult (in which case it's an active danger etc.)". I guess we should maybe prepare for the worst, i.e. assume the latter?

But I really don't know how we could actually hunt for cultists because like... the only "TMI" that the cult would have that could distinguish them from town is effectively (1) cult exists, (2) protect fellow cultists, (3) possibly being less solvey (but they still need to solve, right?)
fwiw, despite all the seshas reactiontalk i've been doing i fall in camp (a); i'm not really inclined to take the existence of any of the immunity-referenced roles at face value just yet, i just have kinda latched on to this because i'm hoping there's some AI talk that's been generated by it
-m

fwiw, despite all the seshas reactiontalk i've been doing i fall in camp (a); i'm not really inclined to take the existence of any of the immunity-referenced roles at face value just yet, i just have kinda latched on to this because i'm hoping there's some AI talk that's been generated by it
-m
especially because jack said he's immune to a MAFIA recruiter, lol. at least one of these immunity-referenced roles almost certainly does not exist.
-m

I suppose I should probably keep reading to find out the latter part of this Seshas progression you're talking about instead of just talking theory

do you think she should be hunting for cult members, maybe? but no one is doing that. [...] i don't think the panickedness of one's tone wrt cult stuff is a good indicator of alignment here
it's pretty much that i expected her to react more, that was kind of it, i don't really mean to imply that i was wanting a hunt to begin
i will concede that maybe the second part of this is true and that it's v possible i'm projecting because i'm a bit antsy about this
-m

hmmm. i feel kind of sheepish now so i'll try to re-evaluate and figure out how much of this really is pure tunnel.
-m

Back
Top Bottom