• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Racsism in pokemon

Me thinks you are trying too hard. And racism isn't racism unless its intentional. I think the lack of racial diversity in the Pokemon universe is due to the lack of racial diversity in Japan. Don't look too far into this.

....how are those even /considered/ racism wtf was that

I agree with this I do not see how these things are racism in fact I did not even understand them all probably because I do not watch the anime anymore(Haven't since the beginning of hoenn).

As for the black and white flute thing black and white are often pitted against each other in a good vs. evil manner. Black represents darkness, shadows and even death while white represents heaven, healing, revelation, salvation, and much more. Although I am reading a vampire novel series that opened my knowledge to white also sometimes being associated with death but black is the more common representing color or absence of light I should say.

A light type could be interesting, I can somewhat see that. But I don't see how the lack of it's creation thus far represents any kind of discrimination. It simply has not been thought of yet.

A light type is a horrible idea.

We already have THREE types that represent light:

Electric (sorta), Normal and Psychic.

A light type is a horrible idea.

We already have THREE types that represent light:

Electric (sorta), Normal and Psychic.

Psychic does not represent light, in fact it's believed by religion that Psychic powers and witchcraft are of the devil.

I actually think I see the point you mean to make, and I realize that but it's still a pretty common belief. It's used on TV a lot when they think or know someone has special powers it's always 'They're evil!'.

Psychic does not represent light, in fact it's believed by religion that Psychic powers and witchcraft are of the devil.

pokemon isn't religious, and your username, avatar and signature image are of mewtwo, so er

pokemon isn't religious, and your username, avatar and signature image are of mewtwo, so er

I don't know that I would say that, they seem to have a few of their own fictional religious beliefs such as pokemon having created the universe and which ones.

And what does my profile theme have to do with anything?

Mewtwo's Amber said:
I don't know that I would say that, they seem to have a few of their own fictional religious beliefs such as pokemon having created the universe and which ones.

And what does my profile theme have to do with anything?

That's true, but I mean in the sense that I think the franchise itself doesn't aim to be religious, which is why I think it's silly when certain religious groups do read into the psychic type being associated with witchcraft or satan.

I actually misread your post as you saying your religion thought of the psychic type being associated with such things and thought it was ironic that you have Mewtwo, a psychic type all over your profile; I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't concentrating. xD

That's true, but I mean in the sense that I think the franchise itself doesn't aim to be religious, which is why I think it's silly when certain religious groups do read into the psychic type being associated with witchcraft or satan.

I actually misread your post as you saying your religion thought of the psychic type being associated with such things and thought it was ironic that you have Mewtwo, a psychic type all over your profile; I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't concentrating. xD

Ok I see, I am actually NOT religious. I believe in God but I don't go to church anymore except with my best friend to Christmas Eve service and I don't live by certain religious beliefs. I guess the basic way to express it, is that I believe in a God but I do not practice anything.

I actually do not believe in the association of psychic to the devil, but I have noticed that even in films that don't mention religion or contain any religious characters still seem to express the belief that special abilities are evil. Take the hallmark film 'The Good Witch' for example. New woman moves to town and strangely ironic things happen in her presence. Animals calm before her, a little girls mightmares of monsters vanish with a simple word of advise to tell herself not to dream of bunnies, and a woman whose husband and she were told by doctors were unable to get pregnant does when given a bottle of lavender scented oil from the new comer's shop. The town's mayor takes all this and convinces the town this woman is a witch and is evil. There is no religion whatsoever in this film neither expressed nor shown.

I will give you though that in the realistic sense you are correct about Pokemon not expressing real religion. But my point being that this does not mean it could still not regard something from it.

The TCG has light types. I know because I own legit Light Wigglytuff. I don't know if there are more light types, but there is at least that one.

Ignoring the fact that the TCG isn't canon... those aren't a type, they're just a ill-conceived, ill-received, ill-translated flavor modification (akin to the "Gym Leader's POKéMON" cards) that only lasted one set before being thrown out the window.

Ignoring the fact that the TCG isn't canon... those aren't a type, they're just a ill-conceived, ill-received, ill-translated flavor modification (akin to the "Gym Leader's POKéMON" cards) that only lasted one set before being thrown out the window.

True, but the fact they are there still means something. To say that dark is a type based on a color would sound less likely then saying it's based on the childhood idea of light and dark symbolizing good and bad. I mean dark types are know mostly for attack, and nothing but attack. Something that uses dirty tricks, and cheap blows would be marked as bad in my book. To say that a dark type is something other then a psychological symbol is making an personal assumption. It's not as if all dark types look the same, nor are the confined to one type.

True, but the fact they are there still means something. To say that dark is a type based on a color would sound less likely then saying it's based on the childhood idea of light and dark symbolizing good and bad. I mean dark types are know mostly for attack, and nothing but attack. Something that uses dirty tricks, and cheap blows would be marked as bad in my book. To say that a dark type is something other then a psychological symbol is making an personal assumption. It's not as if all dark types look the same, nor are the confined to one type.

Dark and Light Pokemon are, actually, psychological aspects of the Pokemon on the card. That's why they were only in sets like Team Rocket (the fully evolved Pokemon of the TR set were Dark, influenced by their trainers) and Neo Destiny (their destinies were determined by how they were treated by their trainers).

So Dark Pokemon had cruel trainers and are not a type (Dark Houndoom was a fire type, even, purposely to avoid confusion between disposition and type), and Light Pokemon had kind trainers and are, again, not a type.

So I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here- are you still trying to say Light might actually exist as a type because of Light Pokemon cards or what?

Back
Top Bottom