• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Racsism in pokemon

So I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue here- are you still trying to say Light might actually exist as a type because of Light Pokemon cards or what?

I am trying to say that dark pokemon as a actual type (not dark pokemon like the TCG) are just like saying bad. They aren't confined to one type, as in there are grass/dark types like Shiftry. When you say a pokemon is a water type, you normal think it is probably something that can dwell with or around water. To say something is a dark type means it is probably a pretty nasty costumer, and has more of an offense then it does a defense.

I am saying that after tossing TCG out the window it is a psychological connection with the person playing the game.

I am trying to say that dark pokemon as a actual type (not dark pokemon like the TCG) are just like saying bad. They aren't confined to one type, as in there are grass/dark types like Shiftry. When you say a pokemon is a water type, you normal think it is probably something that can dwell with or around water. To say something is a dark type means it is probably a pretty nasty costumer, and has more of an offense then it does a defense.

True, but as has been pointed out before in this thread, the opposite of that would not be a theoretical Light type, but the "honorable" tactics used by Fighting-type Pokemon.

True, but as has been pointed out before in this thread, the opposite of that would not be a theoretical Light type, but the "honorable" tactics used by Fighting-type Pokemon.

But some people don't think fighting is good, no matter how "honorable" the intentions. So most people agree that the tactics of a dark pokemon are pretty nasty, but every one has a different idea of what is good, so it would be difficult to classify a light type that all would agree with. To some psychic abilities to purge darkness would be considered light, and some would consider the fighting types "Honor" to be light. You could also argue that anything pure would be light, but that would be tied to at least one pokemon from all the types. Dark is much easier to classify, and so it was easier to stick on.

You're taking the words "Low kick" too seriously. A low kick is merely a kicking strike below one's torso, not specifically under the belt/ in the groin area. Also, if you watch the animation from the game (HINT HINT) it's more like a ankle sweep anyway, which is why weight matters. And even if you look past those things, a kick that is aimed low isn't really all that sneaky unless it is aimed inappropriately. Think about it. Have you ever kicked/been kicked by someone in the shin? That's a low kick. Is it sneaky/dishonorable? Not really.

Last edited:
...As for the fighting-types being "honorable" argument, I think you're all forgetting about Croagunk and Toxicroak, who are explicitly claimed to fight dirtily in the games. I'm pretty sure Fighting-types being honorable is looking too far into it because of that: maybe Fighting-types are just Pokémon who are very skilled in hand-to-hand combat and martial arts? I would say that the new Pokémon Scraggy and Scrafty count, but they're part Dark-type as well and thus are a bit ambivalent.

Primeape is another borderline case: I'm pretty sure that Primeape do not fight fairly nor are honorable considering almost all they ever do is get into rages and attack everything in sight.

How 'bout we turn this discussion around?

How would racism work in the Pokemon universe? Would it depend on your birth-region (those born in Kanto are treated terribly in Hoenn and the like) which isn't strictly racism, but just general segregation and maltreatment...

How 'bout we turn this discussion around?

How would racism work in the Pokemon universe? Would it depend on your birth-region (those born in Kanto are treated terribly in Hoenn and the like) which isn't strictly racism, but just general segregation and maltreatment...
That reminds me, I think in FireRed and LeafGreen some biker gang thinks they're superior because you're from Kanto. And I believe someone in Crystal calls you a "Johto punk".

It's been years since I played that far in either game, though, so I could be wrong.

It remains in HG/SS.

It seems that bikers from Kanto (are only in Kanto) believe that trainers from Johto aren't strong, racism? Not likely, more of a personal belief (as far as a programmed to have like 4 phrases NPC can be)

Probably not so much racism as elitism/country stereotypes along the lines of the attitude the US has toward Canada, since every character in the games pre-Unova is white.

Probably not so much racism as elitism/country stereotypes along the lines of the attitude the US has toward Canada, since every character in the games pre-Unova is white.

Brock, Battle Pike Queen Lucy.

Two examples of not white.

just sayin, without being a martial-arts master alien.

The bikers are displaying regional stereotypes, in the same way that someone from the north of a country may think of people from the south as being (say) 'soft' or 'stupid'. Since nearly everyone in gen I-IV is presumably Japanese, it's not really racism.

If there was going to be a show of racism in-game, it's likely to show up in Black/White, where a) there's a more ethnically diverse population and b) the region is based on a different country to (and is supposedly very far from) the previous regions.

well...those aren't racist at all... i'd say the most unintentionally 'racist' thing in pokemon is brock.

That's not racist because he is a main character and a good guy. It's more like anti-racist. There's not even a problem with the fact that he is a comic relief character because in Pokémon, all main characters are partly comic relief.

The Jynx cause is illogical. It seems like those people can't see that it's got straight blonde hair and it's an Ice type. I don't see any stereotypes in that, except for maybe something related to the Northern Europe.

And about stuff like B/W or the Dark type, that would be like thinking that they made Kyogre blue because of these things. Black and White mean Yin and Yang, you know.

The Jynx cause is illogical. It seems like those people can't see that it's got straight blonde hair and it's an Ice type. I don't see any stereotypes in that, except for maybe something related to the Northern Europe.

I agree with you that the anti-Jynx movement wasn't very logical, but IIRC Jynx was based on Japanese fashion movements called kogal and ganguro from the '80s-'90s in which girls would dye their hair platinum blonde (or use wigs) and overtan themselves. Nintendo just combined that with a yuki-onna (Japanese snow demon) to get Jynx. It's mentioned in the On the Origin of Species column on Bulbanews.

Psychic does not represent light, in fact it's believed by religion that Psychic powers and witchcraft are of the devil.

Sure, that might be represented by Hypno, Exeggcute, Alakazam and Mewtwo, but some Psychic Pokémon do represent light. Think of Espeon, which evolves from Eevee when it's happy at daytime, Gallade and Gardevoir who protect their trainers (and loved ones) with their lives, and Cresselia, the guardian of dreams and the opposite of Darkrai. Wha has this to do with the devil or something?

Back
Top Bottom