• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Are you going to post the ratings for the new mocks? Because I was in the middle of one when you posted those.

Bleh. I doubt they'll be done in time, but... hey, I think I finish it in an hour.

Style: 3 vs 3 (one at a time)
DQ: Standard Week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, Sunny Day
Terrain: The Enchanted Courtyard

The enchanted courtyard exists in a state of perpetual midnight, cloaked in darkness and illuminated only by the light of the stars and the full moon. At the center of the courtyard is a wide, shallow pond (max about six and half feet deep, ten or so feet across). The courtyard itself fans out from around the pond, with rows of hedges marching off into the darkness and numerous flowerbeds overflowing with fragrant, night-blooming plants. A few statues are scattered about the area, primarily grim renditions of stern-looking pokémon. The winding paths that lead around the area are paved in a smooth, highly polished stone that gleams mirror-bright in the moonlight, reflecting the night sky perfectly. The reflective nature of these tiles where they surround the central pond makes it difficult to tell where water ends and land begins.

Due to the nature of the enchantment over the courtyard, it will always be nighttime and sunny day may therefore not be used. Naturally, moves requiring the use of sunlight to perform (i.e. solarbeam, morning sun) are much more difficult to perform under these conditions.

Negrek (OOO)
porygon
Datum - Genderless - Trace (Early Bird)
Health: 58%
Energy: 48%
Commands: Zap Cannon ~ Swift ~ Protect/Chill

Weasel Overlord (OOO)
houndour
Vaka - Female - Early Bird
Health: 28%
Energy: 34%
Status: Paralyzed. (Attacks requiring movement have 25% chance of succeeding) Poisoned (8% damage). Sight regained. Knows Flash. Locked-on.
Commands: Smog ~ Faint Attack ~ Reversal

Terrain: It is raining, and will continue to rain for the next three rounds.

(Note: Abilities aren’t listed for either Pokemon. For the reffing’s sake, Datum is considered to have Trace and Vaka’s ability is Early Bird.)

Vaka glared at her opponent. The stupid duck was staring at her emotionlessly, to the point where it was getting creepy. She closed her eyes and began to create filthy gases in her throat. She blew out the poisonous gases, expecting it to damage the opponent as well as obscure its vision. Datum stared at the gas, noticing that it looked a bit more powerful than normal. It did nothing about it, however, knowing his clone would protect him. His double quickly jumped in front of the smog, intent on protecting its master. It successfully was able to prevent the smog from hitting his creator, but was soon overtaken by the gases. The substitute fell to the ground before vaporizing. Vaka grinned; not only was her doppelganger dead, but the Porygon couldn’t see her! She chuckled at the thought of being hit by the duck’s shots.
Datum, on the other hand, wasn’t feeling that way. Its targeting system was still functioning, and it had already locked onto the opponent in the round prior. It turned 37 degrees to its left, charged up a ball of electricity, and launched it towards its opponent. The ball hit its target; Vaka yowled as she was launched backwards.
Vaka growled at his opponent. She cloaked herself in dark-type energy, seemingly vanishing. She ran directly towards her opponent, then reappeared pounced on it. The Porygon did not see this coming, and let out a surprised beep. The surprise attack was surprisingly effective, much to Vaka’s delight.
The Porygon, in retaliation, let out a barrage of star-shaped projectiles at the dog. She attempted to dodge the attack, running as fast as she could. Sadly, though, the stars began homing in on her. Her paralysis suddenly kicked in, and she came to a screeching halt. The stars sliced at her side, and blood began to pour from the wounds on her body.
Although she was losing consciousness, she got up. She channeled her desperation into pure energy, and began to run at her opponent. Suddenly, her paralysis kicked in. Her foot went limp, causing her to crash into the ground. Datum stared at the opponent, but decided against attacking it. It closed its eyes and relaxed, letting itself cool down.
Vaka felt the poison in her body begin to act up again. She was losing consciousness fast, and was on the verge of being knocked out.

Negrek (OOO)
porygon
Datum - Genderless - Trace (Early Bird)
Health: 42%
Energy: 43%
Actions: Zap Cannon ~ Swift ~ Chill

Weasel Overlord (OOO)
houndour
Vaka - Female - Early Bird
Health: 5%
Energy: 18%
Status: Almost dead. Paralyzed (attacks requiring movement have 15% chance of succeeding). Poisoned (9% damage next round). Knows Flash.
Actions: Smog ~ Faint Attack ~ (paralyzed)

Terrain Notes:
The arena is covered with a light layer of smog. It is raining (two more rounds).

Ref Notes:
Both Smog and Faint Attack were critical hits. I couldn’t think of a way to show that Smog got a crit, so I had Datum notice the attack was a bit more powerful than normal.
Zap Cannon hit as a result of the Lock-On. Negrek’s commands stated that a Lock-On was in effect (although the previous ref didn’t make note of this).
I don’t give STAB or anti-STAB for Normal-type moves, since it is a “default type”.
Negrek attacks, followed by Weaselly over there.
I would ref, but this is a mock.

2 vs 2
One out at a time
DQ: Three days
Ref DQ: One week
Restrictions: No OHKO moves
Damage Caps: None
Arena: Chrysanthi Hotel
Begins in the lobby. Fountains and [genuine] potted plants a-plenty dot classy marble floors and not-so-classy gold-lacquered furniture. Chandeliers hang from virtually every open space on the ceiling, tinkling their crystalized song. Guests murmur, checking in, checking out, toting baggage and meeting for dinner. Security guards might just be inclined to relegate the battlers to the basement holding cell. Heaven knows why two young ruffians would be making a ruckus in such a high-end place, but they are.

Scourge of Amaranth
(OO)
Nix [Gengar] (F)
Health: 66%
Energy: 43%
Status: Tired but satisfied with the events of the round and feeling as though she has the upper hand. Attack and Special Attack boosted (+3). Substitute remaining at 4% health.
Shadow Ball ~ Shadow Ball ~ Protect

Keion
(OO)
Arcee [Arcanine] (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 47%
Energy: 44%
Status: Feeling a lot worse for the wear and very tired. Hoping to turn the tables soon, or face having his trainer having a major disadvantage in this battle. Confused (15% this round; 10% next round), has Crunch Disabled (3 more actions) and Badly Poisoned (-6% health this round; -8% health next round).
Substitute (20%)/Bite ~ Will-o-Wisp/Flamethrower ~ Swagger/Flamethrower

Nix the Gengar charged up a ball of ethereal energy and hurled it at Arcee, it blasted it backwards with ghostly energy burning its skin lowering it special defense. The Arcanine then formed some dirt from one of the many plants into a replica of itself and breathed some flaming lifeforce into it, it sprang up ready to protect against further attack.

Nix
Energy: 39% | Health: 66%
Attack and special attack +3 and sub still at 4%
Arcee
Energy: 34% | Health: 30%
Sub at 20% special defence -1 confusion 15%

shadow ball did 14% damage and took 4 energy
substitute took 10 energy (half of health used)

Next Nix charged up another ball of ghostly power she then hurled it at Arcee at the last moment the dirt replica jumped in the way absorbing the damage but starting to fall apart. Arcee formed a ball of blue eerie flame and prepared to launch it when light danced infront of its eyes and it was overcome by dizziness before the ball of fire dropped harmlessly as he fell over.

Nix
Energy: 35% | Health: 66%
Attack and Special attack +3 sub still 4%
Arcee
Energy: 31% | Health 29%
Sub at 5%, took 1% from confusion, special defense -1

shadow ball did 15 damage and took 4
will-o-wisp did no damage but took 3 energy

Nix hearing her trainer summoned a shimmering green sphere of energy while Arcee stood taunting him as best he could in the circumstances “you aren’t even solid you can’t beat me” but the protect blocks out the sound.

Nix
Energy: 31% | Health: 66%
Sub at 4%, attack and special attack +3
Arcee
energy:42% | Health: 29%
sub at 5%, special defense -1

protect took 4 energy
swagger took 2 energy

Scourge of Amaranth
(OO)
Nix [Gengar] (F)
Health: 66%
Energy: 31%
Status:Very pleased he took no damage but starting to get tired. Attack and Special Attack boosted (+3). Substitute remaining at 4% health.
Shadow Ball ~ Shadow Ball ~ Protect

Keion
(OO)
Arcee [Arcanine] (M) <Flash Fire>
Health: 29%
Energy: 42%
Status: Feeling a lot worse for the wear and very tired. Wondering how he can still manage to win. Confused (10% this round; 5% next round), and Badly Poisoned (-8% health next round; -10% health next round).
Substitute (20%) ~ Will-o-Wisp ~ Swagger

Last edited:
To all and sundry: I do not require a novel about your damage and energy calculations. Just the final numbers are fine, thanks. Most of the people in this batch have them formatted such that they are either difficult to read in and of themselves or make the rest of the mock difficult to read because of how much they disrupt it. Likewise, I don't need to know the health and energy of every pokémon after every single action; I am not quite that bad at math. Shadow Serenity's format is good.

In general I think it's better to boost attacks by 1% by stat level rather than 2%, unless you do something to compensate for the greater power increase.

Do not trust the content of the information in the battler end statuses; I take these battles from various other forums and do not always remember to change everything to reflect the way that we do things here. In general, though, when ending stats say "this round" they meant in the round that passed, not the next--this to everybody who had Arcee lose 6% health instead of 8%.

Everyone who added their reffings after I had already complained to DarthWaffles that I'd started working on them: I hate you.

Summergale

Your battle description is nice on the whole, although it looks like you might have problems with its/it's (its is possessive, it's is a contraction of "it is"). Or it might just have been a typo.

I would have had shadow ball deal more damage, especially in light of the fact that you have swagger cost more to use. It's not a huge deal, but to me it doesn't make much sense at all. Other than that, your calculations are fine.

On the whole a good reffing. Not much to talk about save what I've already pointed out. However, the questions you've been asking recently suggest that you don't really know the rules very well. I'd prefer to see another mock out of you. Not Approved

Blackthorne Steele

Your grammar and punctuation could use work. You're using semicolons wrong--oversimplifying slightly, they should be used only to join what could otherwise stand alone as two complete sentences. So if you see "trainers yelling orders instantly" after one, it's wrong. Your sentences tend to get overly long and muddy.

Substitute costs energy equal to half the health used to make it... and it should cost Arcee exactly as much health as it ends up with.

Your energy doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Shadow ball should absolutely be costing more than 1% energy--it's a fairly powerful attack, so despite STAB and evolution, it should be costing at least 3% or so energy. What's more important, though, is energy cost relative to other attacks... and it just doesn't make sense to have shadow ball at 1% if swagger is going to cost 4%, or four times the energy for something that isn't even damaging.

Your battle description could use a polish, but it's more energy that you need to work on. The substitute issues were also a bit egregious. Not Approved

Eonrider

The essence of your battle description is decent, but it gets lost in needlessly long sentences. I will commend you for usually getting the punctuation of them right, though.

Substitute costs half as much energy as it does health. 8% energy is pretty extreme for a protect that blocked nothing--around half as much as that is what I'd expect. For 8%, considering that gengar is fully evolved, I'd be expecting something with 15%+ damage potential behind it. In general you're charging too much for your non-offensive attacks: a shadow ball capable of dealing 17% damage is on par with a swagger in terms of how difficult it is to pull off? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Will-o-wisp, for example, would only take 4% energy base given its PP, and I would subtract energy off that because Arcee is fully evolved and a fire-type as well.

Like Blackthorne Steele above you, you have fair description but need to work on your energy calculations. Not Approved

Alraunne

Agh, I can't believe I didn't notice the big quote tags in the middle of this before. Never do that, please.

Your battle description is fine aside from the occasional typo.

Energy and damage is also okay, except for the fact that 4% is quite a lot to be taking off for a confusion fail. I could see that if Arcee's defense had been lowered/attack had been raised, but generally 1-2% is all I would anticipate for hurting oneself in confusion.

Aside from the confusion thing, no problems here. Approved

Shadow Serenity

You are. It's for reference--teams are locked at the beginning of battle, but people are allowed to go out and buy things and evolve things and so on while they're fighting, so you need some sort of snapshot of how the teams stacked up when the battle began.

Battle description is nice.

For health and energy, 4% is a bit much for smog, which is a very weak attack... certainly much weaker than faint attack, for which you docked the same amount of energy.

Giving only 5% energy back for a relax (this battle is from a different forum where they call chills relaxes) seems a little stingy given how much you're docking for attacks. It's not a gamebreaker, though. In any case, they also do paralysis differently; here 25% is as strong as it gets.

If a fast pokémon is told to react to one of its opponent's moves, it will wait until that pokémon starts to attack and respond accordingly.

Like I said, your battle description is nice. Most of the complaints here are pretty nitpicky. I think you might be a little rusty on, or unsure of, some of the mechanics... I think you'll get everything sorted out pretty fast, though. I'll approve you as novice, but you were close to getting it for the advanced level. Approved as Novice

DarthWaffles

Thanks for changing the formatting.

The wording of your battle description gets pretty awkward at times, but overall it's okay.

Substitute costs energy equal to half the health used to make it. Bad poison is usually capped at 8%, although 10% is not unheard of; it really shouldn't go higher than that, though. It usually progresses at a rate of 1% per round. Other than that, energy and damage are fine.

I'm a little iffy on this one, but there's not much overtly wrong with it. Approved

Sage Noctowl

Please put two line breaks after each paragraph so that there's a blank space between each of them. It's hard to read your description scrunched up in a big chunk as it is.

Battle description has problems with tense shifting and general grammar/sentence construction.

19% is a bit much for a shadow ball, even considering Nix's +3 stat boost. Bad poison is usually capped at 8%, although 10% is not unheard of; it really shouldn't go higher than that, though. It usually progresses at a rate of 1% per round. Your energy valuations are actually good, though, so kudos on that.

Hmmm, somewhat of a tough call. I'm afraid the battle description is kind of the dealbreaker here, or perhaps your bad formatting is just biasing me against it. I imagine I've probably said this to you before, but it really just doesn't look quite there to me. Not Approved

Kammington

Please put two line breaks after each paragraph so that there's a blank space between each of them. It's hard to read your description scrunched up in a big chunk as it is.

Where are your damage and energy calculations?

Battle description is okay.

Normal-type attacks still get STAB.

Paralysis doesn't fade that quickly. Typically, bad poison is capped at 8% damage, although you can go as high as ten if you like.

Faint attack did too much damage, even for a crit--you don't actually double damage for critical hits. Other than that, energy and damage looks okay.

Mmm, rather tricky. The battle description is okay, but you show some problems with the underlying mechanics (e.g. paralysis and the STAB thing). I will also admit that smushed-together formatting that makes things a chore to read does not make me cast a favorable eye on it. Not Approved

thunder

Your sentence construction in general is pretty bad; you tend to use a lot of run-on sentences and have pronoun confusion ("it" caused "it" to do something!). At times you have something like four independent clauses going on in the same sentence with little to no punctuation; it's just difficult to figure out. I'd suggest working on your punctuation (every comma you've used here is wrong, and every place that you need a comma doesn't have one) and grammar before all else. The description itself is brief but not terrible.

Typically, "bad poison" is capped at 8% damage and only increases at a rate of 1% per round anyway. 10% a round isn't unacceptable, but it really shouldn't go higher than that. Arcee's special defense drop is not listed in the ending stats, nor is his substitute.

Your numbers are sloppy. Arcee magically goes from 31% energy after the second action and then back to 42% energy in the ending stats. You didn't take off health from poison damage. You didn't take off health for the substitute. In general your energy values are good, and the shadow balls are fine, but it looks like you weren't paying much attention when you did your math.

I suggest that you play some matches/read some more reffings to get a better idea of how things work around here before trying again. Not Approved

Go-go lightspeed reffing. And thanks for the clarification over its/it's, that always confuses me.

2 vs. 2
Single battle
Disqualification: 7 days
Restrictions: No moves created after first generation (see description) or direct recovery moves
Damage Cap: 50%
Set style
Arena: Old Cinnabar Island
Description: Due to a mechanical error involving a Xatu, a PC transferring Pokeballs, and forty-two paperclips, you have been transported to a beach on Cinnabar Island in 1995. The sky is sort of grey, as is the water, the sand is uniformly tan, and all the plants on the nearby volcanic mountain are the same shade of green. There are also a lot of boxes scattered along the beach, colored in black and white squares.

If someone sends out a pokemon that would not exist in this time (anything not first generation), the pokemon looks like the nearest equivalent from first generation (for example, a Ralts would look like an Abra, a Houndour like a Growlithe, and a Munchlax like a very small Snorlax). Their movesets don't change, but trying to use a non-first generation move will cause the words "404 error" to flash across the sky.

It is late 1995, and Cinnabar Town has yet to explode in fiery plumes of lava. Right now's it's fairly quiet, with insanely powerful Pokemon slumbering near the shore and the ghostly image of a man sitting on the roof of the Gym.

As I said. Fairly quiet - at least until the trainers arrive. Binary hazes across a certain portion of the beach, and three humans appear on the beach. They look around in confusion for a moment; two of the three - Live HappySlip and the referee - seem uncomfortable in the greyscale surroundings, but the third, Ole_Schooler, seems estatic to be here.

Live HappySlip
(OO)

oldscyther.gif

Kythis (Male) <Technician>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Mimic ~ Wing Attack ~ Wing Attack

Ole_Schooler
(OO)

oldgastly.gif

Fred (Female) <Levitate>
Commands: Thunderbolt ~ Hypnosis/Thunderbolt ~ Dream Eater/Hypnosis/Thunderbolt

[Fred] Thunderbolt ~ [Kythis] Mimic+Thunderbolt ~ [Fred] Hypnosis (HIT) ~ [Kythis] Wing Attack (ASLEEP) ~ [Fred] Dream Eater ~ [Kythis] Wing Attack (ASLEEP)

Fred's Thunderbolt Damage: BP 95, 10% damage. Anti-STAB, 9%. First-form drawback, 8%. Super-effective bonus, x1.5 to 12%. 12% Damage in Total
Fred's Thunderbolt Energy: PP 15, 3%. BP 95, 5%. First-form drawback, 6%. Anti-STAB, 7%. 7% Energy in Total

Kythis' Thunderbolt Damage: BP 95, 10% damage. Anti-STAB, 9%. Mimicked, 8%. 8% Damage in Total
Kythis' Thunderbolt Energy: PP 15, 3%. BP 95, 5%. Anti-STAB, 6%. Mimicked, 8%. 8% Energy in Total

Hypnosis Energy: PP 20, 3% base. STAB (sort of?), 2%.

Dream Eater Damage: BP 100, 10% damage. Anti-STAB, 9%. First-form drawback, 8%. STAB (sort of?), 9%. 9% Damage in Total
Dream Eater Energy: PP 15, 3% energy. BP 100, 6%. First-form drawback, 7%. STAB (sort of?), 6%.

The first Pokemon out is Kythis. The Scyther looks around for a moment, then glances down at himself and realises he has turned grey. That's something he'll have to get used to. Fred appears in a burst of... well, the light would have been red had there actually been any colour. She blinks a few times puon realising that in this time period, she is just a pile of gas.

The commands are shouted, and Kythis goes to move before realising he has to wait for Fred (what a weird name for a girl, he thinks) to move first. Realisation dawns as he sees the Gastly across the beach from him form a ball of electricity. Even as it arcs towards him, he's already seeing how Fred manipulated the air around her, pulled in the cha-- ow. The Thunderbolt catches Kythis in the chest, and the chitin on that area scorches with the intensity of the attack. The Scyther struggles back to his feet awkwardly.

He decides now would be a good time to Mimic that, and lifts his scythes in front of him. Sparks jump between the metallic blades on his arms, and the Scyther grins for a moment, lifting them up a little higher. A ball of crackling electricity forms, blindingly bright in the otherwise-dull surroundings. It's more difficult than he thought it would be to get the attack off, but the Thunderbolt arcs forward anyway. It strikes Fred's gaseous form, and for a moment she wavers. That's my move! she thinks angrily, before moving ahead to her next command.

<Kythis: 88% health, 92% energy> <Fred: 92% health, 93% energy>

The Gastly drifts closer to her opponent and blinks once, her eyes turning.... er, dark grey, as they open. Kythis stares into them, having little choice otherwise... they're so pretty. Different shades of grey swirl around the Ghost-type's eyes, and Kythis sways back and forth a few times, feeling his eyelids grow heavy. As he falls backwards onto the soft, greyish-tan sand, his eyes close close completely. A low snicker resounds from Fred as she blinks again, her eyes returning to their normal white.

Kythis begins to dream, and the command 'Wing Attack' vaguely registers somewhere in the back of his insect mind. Right now, however, he is content to dream away, completely unaware of the Gastly's plans.

<Kythis: 88% health, 92% energy> <Fred: 92% health, 91% energy>

Fred's perpetual grin grows wider as her eyes change colour once more - this time, they're a paler shade of - you guessed it - grey. She reaches out for the sleeping Scyther's mind, and finds the Bug-type safe and secure in his own little technicolour dreamland. She sees tall grass (or maybe it's wheat; it's not her dream so she can't see too well) hemmed in by trees, and Kythis is merrily slashing away with those damnable scythes of his. Some of the grass and most of a treetrunk crumbles away into pink, glowing particles. The tree proceeds to collapse.

Fred pulls out of the dream feeling rejuvenated. There are a few twinges here and there, but she's faring considerably better than Kythis, who has curled up in what seems to be the closest a Scyther can get to the fetal position. Her grin fades, just a little; if she keeps this up he'll be awake soon. Kythis straightens out slightly, but he's still too far under to manage his Wing Attack, and the afore-mentioned wings simply buzz uselessly against the sand.

<Kythis: 79% health, 92% energy> <Fred: 97% health, 85% energy>

Live HappySlip
(OO)

oldscyther.gif

Kythis (Male) <Technician>
Health: 79%
Energy: 92%
Commands: Thunderbolt (Mimic) ~ Asleep ~ Asleep

Ole_Schooler
(OO)

oldgastly.gif

Fred (Female) <Levitate>
Health: 97%
Energy: 85%
Status: Wondering if the battle will get exciting any time soon.
Commands: Thunderbolt ~ Hypnosis ~ Dream Eater

Notes:
o Kythis had no commands for being asleep, so he did nothing.
o Similarly, it wasn't specified if Fred's Dream Eater was targeting health or energy; I defaulted to health.
o If this was a real reffing, Live HappySlip would attack, then Ole_Schooler, then I would ref.
o I reduced the energy costs for Hypnosis and Dream Eater because they seem like ghosts would logically have an easier time using them.
o I honestly couldn't resist taking the monochrome thing all the way.​

shouldn't that be a 500 Internal Server Error? the universe can't handle the move.

:D

(it's also quite likely to happen with these forums. :/)

Yeeee sorry about the quotes thing. I didn't see DarthWaffles' mock before he edited it and you didn't directly point me out either, so I just assumed whatever he did with the quote tags was way worse than what I did. >:

My first reffing was an e-reffing go me

Paychecks

Alraunne: 1 = $7
Blastoise: 1 = $7
Heavy Lobster: 1 = $7
Mike the Foxhog: 1 = $13
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 + $5 = $25
Shadow Serenity: 1 2 = $5 = $19

Not as though I'm expecting to pass but meh. You never know. *Silently gives Negrek a check* Make sure I pass, m'kay?

Arena Description:
2 vs. 2
Single battle
Restrictions: No moves created after first generation (see description) or direct recovery moves
Set style
Description: Due to a mechanical error involving a Xatu, a PC transferring Pokeballs, and forty-two paperclips, you have been transported to a beach on Cinnabar Island in 1995. The sky is sort of grey, as is the water, the sand is uniformly tan, and all the plants on the nearby volcanic mountain are the same shade of green. There are also a lot of boxes scattered along the beach, colored in black and white squares.

If someone sends out a pokemon that would not exist in this time (anything not first generation), the pokemon looks like the nearest equivalent from first generation (for example, a Ralts would look like an Abra, a Houndour like a Growlithe, and a Munchlax like a very small Snorlax). Their movesets don't change, but trying to use a non-first generation move will cause the words "404 error" to flash across the sky

A kid walked along the beach, taking in his surroundings. Wow. I could get used to this. Sort of an old-world charm…Looking in a quick three-sixty, he spotted his “quarry”, two trainers, walking towards him from the side nearest to Pallet Town. Walking around, trying to find a referee-like post to stand on, he spotted it. The very same, legendary roof where the famouns “man on the roof glitch” took place. Climbing up, he signaled for the trainers to send out. Two bright red flashes later, a large mantis pokemon, a Scyther stood on the left side of the battlefield. On the right, a strange, circular ball of purple floated, with it’s always-happy-yet-creepy expression on it’s face. This battle was about to get started.

Live HappySlip
(OO)

Scyther
[Kythis] Scyther (M) <Technician>
Commands: Mimic (Thunderbolt)~Wing Attack~Wing Attack

Ole_Schooler
(OO)

Gastly
[Fred] Gastly (F) <Levitate>
Commands: Thunderbolt~Hypnosis/Thunderbolt~Hypnosis/Dream Eater/Thunderbolt

ROUND I BEGIN!

Kythis braced himself, ready to take a hit, though slightly annoyed that he wasn’t utilizing his speed as it should be. Fred, the gastly with the ironic name, rubbed its molecules together, getting as much static to pulse through her body as possible. Feeling quite good about the amount of electricity it had charged, she stuck out her oversized tongue at the bug and let loose a considerable amount of electricity.

Kythis screeched in pain, searing pain across the whole of his body. I’d be happy to give her that right back, the little blob… Taking note of what exactly the gastly did, he registered everything close in his mind, ready to fire a few bolts of his own if needed.

Kythis

Energy: 100% - 3% = 97% (3% to Mimic Thunderbolt)
Health: 100% - 13% = 87% (Took 13% from Thunderbolt)

Fred

Energy: 100% - 5% = 95% (Thunderbolt cost 5% after no STAB and first of an evolution line)
Health: 100% (No damage taken this action)

Now happy to be using his speed, Kythis zoomed forward with incredible speed, and did a swift three-sixty when he passed by Fred, whacking him with the whole of his wings. He quickly retaliated into a nice battling stance. Bring it on. Just bring it on, you little blob.

Fred edged a little closer to the mantis, catching his full attention. She started swaying, slowly, peacefully… Kythis calmed down a little bit… then a little more… this is very relaxing. Fred started swaying a little bit slower, allowing tiny amounts of energy to flow from her body, creating a pinkish glow, adding even more relaxation to the battle. Kythis couldn’t help but sway along… it was so nice… with a peaceful yawn, the bug slowly slumped down, his eyes closed peacefully…

Kythis

Energy: 97 – 4% = 93% (4% for wing attack)
Health: 87% (no damage taken this round.) Asleep heavily.

Fred

Energy: 95 – 4% = 91% (4% for Hypnosis)
Health: 100% - 7% = 93% (Wing Attack dealt 7% damage)

Fred looked at Kythis. Not even stirring. She almost felt sorry for having to do this to a defenseless little bug. Almost. Prying into Kythis’ mind, she looked at everything he had to offer. Hehe… she found a particularly tasty dream (Or at least what a ghost might find tasty) and pulled it right into her consciousness. Delicious.

Kythis struggled for a couple seconds against the sleep, but he wasn’t gonna be waking up quite yet. Fred watched happily, feeling the bug’s dreams fueling her own energy.

Kythis
Energy: 93% - 1% = 92% (I just counted ‘struggling against sleep as a bit of energy loss)
Health: 87% - 9% = 78% (Dream Eater dealt nine damge rather than ten, because of gastly’s non-evolution-ness) Asleep moderately.

Fred

Energy: 91% – 6% = 85% (Dream Eater cost 6%)
Health: 93% + 4% = 97% (Dream Eater Absorbed 4% health
)

END ROUND I

Live HappySlip
(OO)

Scyther
[Kythis] Scyther (M) <Technician>
Health: 78%
Energy: 92%
Commands Used: Mimic (Thunderbolt)~Asleep ~Asleep

Ole_Schooler
(OO)

Gastly
[Fred] Gastly (F) <Levitate>
Health: 97%
Energy: 85%
Status: I’m eatin! Eatin’ the dreams of an oversized mantisssss~ *Hums*
Commands used: Thunderbolt~Hypnosis~Dream Eater

Terrain notes

-None.

Final Notes

-Dream Eater wasn’t specified whether it was for health or energy, so I chose health.
-I decided to try reffing in a different fashion as you may have noticed.
-I know I suck, so yell at me! It won’t hurt my feelings!
-Live HappySlip attacks first next round
-If this was a real match, I would say “I ref”.
-*Gets ready to steal ref license if I don’t pass*
-The RBY sprites wouldn't load. D:
-I wrote this in word and the BBC code didn't work so I keep having to edit it in. D:

Last edited:
3v3
Single battle
DQ: 2 weeks
Restrictions: no OHKO moves, one recovery move per round, weather moves
Damage cap: none
Arena: Hell (sim)
The arena is technically a high-tech virtual reality room, but that doesn't actually matter to the battle; I only say that so religious people don't take offense to this place being "Hell".

There is no water. At all. The effect of the heat is essentially that of Sunny Day, except you don't get Chlorophyll et al type boosts, and Solarbeam still has to charge; otherwise, fire moves are boosted, water moves are weakened, etc.

Essentially, the insides kind of look like a cave. There are stalagmites but no stalactites, as there is no ceiling. There is, however, a collection of smoke roughly 75 feet in the air. This smoke is highly toxic. Not only does it temporarily paralyze a Pokemon (just enough for it to drop to the ground; it's not necessarily the paralysis status), but it inflicts Toxic-level poison as well (this is permanent). Basically, don't fly too high; the sky's not the limit (I had to say it). The smoke cannot be blown away with Whirlwind, etc. Also, the smoke blocks all weather moves.

Though the arena is a cave, it's not dark. On random intervals, fire and/or magma shoot up from the ground. When this happens, it will leave a hole in the ground; fire and magma can still shoot back up from a used hole. Falling into these is probably a bad idea. The fire will not boost Flash Fire and the likes; it's hellfire. The fire and magma have a 50% chance of burning any Pokemon that's hit; however, as Fire-types apparently can't be burned, they only sustain damage. Water-types that are hit with the fire and/or magma will find that they cannot produce water from their bodies for 2 rounds.

There are no wild Pokemon to interfere. Satan is also too busy to mess around.

The two opponents and their ref teleported into the arena on a league-commissioned Abra. Their referee took out a piece of chalk and drew a line down the middle of the area. He scribbled a Pokeball in the center and said, “Okay then. Ace, you go to my right. Al- you mind if I call you Al?- go to my left. After going to their respective sides of the battlefield, the two of them took out a ball from their pocket and released their Pokemon. Ace of Aces sent out a small, cute teddy bear with a crescent on his face, while Alaphlosiam sent out a rather intimidating black dog.

Ace Of Aces
(OOO)
teddiursa
Bearform
Teddiursa ♂, Quick Feet
Commands: Double Team ~ Focus Punch ~ Mud Slap/Rock Tomb

Alaphlosiam
(OOO)
houndour
Cerberus
Houndour ♂, Early Bird
Commands: Nasty Plot/Fire Blast ~ Will-o-wisp/Nasty Plot ~ Flamethrower

Round One Begin!​

Cerberus smirked. As far as he was concerned, taking out this little bear would be as easy as taking candy from a baby. He starting brainstorming, thinking of ways to destroy the teddy bear. Maybe he should rip Bearform up into shreds with his fangs? Or maybe he should try to set him on fire and watch him suffer a slow and painful death...? While he was pondering, Bearform began to run at lightning-fast speeds. After running in circles a few times, he stopped and looked around. He had successfully created three clones.

Bearform closed his eyes and began to charge up fighting-type energy in his paws. Cerberus looked up and saw the bear had been joined by three identical twins. He realized that only one of them was real, and if he didn’t pick the right one, he very well would be in for a world of pain. He finally decided to attack the second one. He prepared fire-type energy in his mouth, and spit out a ball of ethereal flame. The embers hit their target, who evaporated upon contact with the flames. Bearform sprang up, his paws radiantly glowing with fighting-type energy. He aimed at his target, and hit Cerberus with an extremely powerful punch. The unlucky Houndour fell to the ground, almost impaling himself on a nearby stalagmite.

Cerberus got up, angry that his opponent had successfully tricked him. He tried his luck yet again, this time aiming for the third Teddiursa. He breathed in, then spit out a wave of red-hot flames. Although they hit the target, Cerberus had once again attacked the wrong Bearform. Bearform’s clone evaporated upon contact with the fire. The real Bearform, on the other hand, was busy making some mud. When he had accrued a handful of mud, he threw it at the furious dog. Cerberus growled; while the mud itself didn’t hurt, it had gotten all over his face and he couldn’t see. He growled; would he ever be able to hit that stupid bear?

Round One End!

Ace Of Aces
(OOO)
teddiursa
Bearform
Teddiursa ♂, Quick Feet
Energy: 84%
Status: Pleased at how he hadn’t been touched once that match. Has one clone left.
Actions: Double Team ~ Focus Punch ~ Mud Slap

Alaphlosiam
(OOO)
houndour
Cerberus
Houndour ♂, Early Bird
Health: 77%
Energy: 90%
Status: Angry at his lucky opponent. Sp. Atk +2. Accuracy -1.
Actions: Nasty Plot ~ Will-o-wisp ~ Flamethrower

Terrain Notes:
There is some mud on the ground. Otherwise, the arena is exactly the same as before.

Calculations (if you need them):
Cerberus uses Nasty Plot. [3e] Special attack goes up by 2.
Bearform uses Double Team. [3e] 3 clones are generated.
Cerberus uses Will-o-wisp. [3e] It hits one of the three clones.
Bearform uses Focus Punch. [21h, 8e]
Cerberus uses Flamethrower. [4e] It hits yet another clone.
Bearform uses Mud Slap. [2h, 5e] Cerberus’s Accuracy is lowered by 1.

Ref’s Notes:
The effects of the arena did not occur this round.
Both Will-o-wisp and Flamethrower hit a clone.
I wasn’t sure if I should allow usage of Mud-Slap; however, I figured that Bearform could make some mud, so I let it slide.
For the love of god get a better nickname than “Cerberus”.
Is it just me, or do all the mock refs involve either a Teddiursa, a Houndour, or a Porygon?
...either way, Ace issues commands first next round, followed by Al. I would ref if this was a real battle.

2 vs. 2
Single battle
Set style

If someone sends out a pokemon that would not exist in this time (anything not first generation), the pokemon looks like the nearest equivalent from first generation (for example, a Ralts would look like an Abra, a Houndour like a Growlithe, and a Munchlax like a very small Snorlax). Their movesets don't change, but trying to use a non-first generation move will cause the words "404 error" to flash across the sky

Paperclips seem to be scattered on a beach, where three people seem to look dazed, trying to fathom what had just happened to them. They look up and wonder what happened to the graphic engine, as everything seems oddly discolored from the bright world they were just in. For some unknown reason, one of them pulls out referee flags, while the other two take a position on the opposite side of the beach. The referee raises his flags, and both trainers pull out a Pokéball. With a flash of light, both trainers move their arm back and throw…

Live HappySlip ○○
[Kythis] Scyther (♂)
Ability: Technician
Pokémon Status:
Command Line: Mimic~Wing Attack~Wing Attack

Ole_Schooler ○○
[Fred] Ghastly (♀)
Ability: Levitate
Pokémon Status:
Command Line: Thunderbolt~Hypnosis/Thunderbolt~Dream Eater/Hypnosis/Thunderbolt

Kythis materializes, slashing at the air as he readies himself for his first attack. When he hears his trainer’s commands, he frowns, wondering what he was supposed to mimic. He stares blankly at the Gastly on the other side of the beach, trying to learn the best way to come out of a Pokéball. Needless to say, nothing happens. On the other side, Fred begins building up as much static electricity as she can, then forces it outward in a strong bolt of electricity toward the opposing bug. When the bolt makes contact, Kythis feels pain, pain like he had felt sometimes before, then all traces of it vanished.

[Kythis -10% Health, -2% Energy]
[Fred -7% Energy]

Kythis begins quickly backpedaling toward the ball of plasma before him; when he comes close enough, he twists his waist as far as it can go (not very far), and bashes the Gastly with his wings. Being as light as she is, Fred flies far back, almost over the ocean. She then retaliates, focusing energy into her eyes, and tries to get the attention of Kythis. It succeeds. Is she trying to challenge my authority? thought Kythis, as he stares back. She then sends slow, yet constant, pulses down the connection she just formed between them. The Scyther shuts his eyes for a second; they now feel heavier than lead. Slowly, against his will, they shut, and he falls to the ground, asleep.

[Kythis: -2% Energy, Sleep]
[Fred: -12% Health, -2% Energy]

Images begin to pop into Kythis’s mind as he enters the dream world. He sees a forest around him, just like where he was before HappySlip caught him. A nearby Scyther waves a scythe, beckoning him to come closer. Just as he is about to face the alien Scyther, a large blackness takes out about half of the forest, with nothingness beyond. Scyther feels weakened as he sees an image of a Gastly, laughing at him.

In the real world, Fred withdraws from the simple mind of the bug before him. He feels much stronger from it, more so than he normally would.
The referee raises his flags again, signaling the end of the round.

[Kythis: -12% Health]
[Fred: +6% Health, -7% Energy]

Live HappySlip ○○
[Kythis] Scyther (♂)
Ability: Technician
Health: 78%
Energy: 96%
Pokémon Status: That Gastly just destroyed the forest. :’( Is in a forest, somewhere far away, and would be happy, if it weren’t for that meddling Gastly. Sleep (Two more actions)
Command Line: Nothing~Wing Attack~Sleep

Ole_Schooler ○○
[Fred] Ghastly (♀)
Ability: Levitate
Health: 94%
Energy: 84%
Pokémon Status: That Kythis sure has some boring dreams, at least they’re tasty! Happy with the state that she’s in, though a bit tired.
Command Line: Thunderbolt~Hypnosis~Dream Eater (crit)

Ref Notes:
Mimic couldn’t mimic anything: Fred hadn’t used a move yet.
Dream Eater critical hitted
Dream Eater defaulted to Health, as neither Health nor Energy was picked.

Next round:
Live HappySlip commands first
Ole_Schooler commands second
I will stay in present tense for the remainder of this battle, even though I’m not actually going to referee the rest of this battle.

E-reffing I guess

You do have to wait the DQ time in case the ref comes back, right? Or do you have to wait until it's posted in the emergency referee outpost first? Or if the ref has been AWOL for a couple of weeks can you just "adopt" it? :B

E-reffing I guess

You do have to wait the DQ time in case the ref comes back, right? Or do you have to wait until it's posted in the emergency referee outpost first? Or if the ref has been AWOL for a couple of weeks can you just "adopt" it? :B

The way I've been doing it with the E-reffing I picked up (Darksong vs DarthWaffles/Togetic) is just like a normal battle. Commands posted, ref when ready. As far as I'm aware, once the battle is up for grabs, you can do it as much as you want unless the original ref steps in again. No one's complained to me about it yet, at least.

....So if I'm doing it wrong too, someone please stop me. xD I do think it's a bit easy to get money the way I'm doing it (not that I should be complaining about that...)

That made me think of my own question though... if you E-ref a battle, do you only get paid for e-reffing the first round you do, or do you get paid for every round you do as an e-ref? I've been doing it the second way, and none of the bank staff questioned my monetary gains so I assume it's safe, but... like I said, it feels like a really easy way to get money. Or maybe I'm just a really fast ref... I dunno.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this. Once you've started e-reffing a match, you may continue to do so as normal unless the ordinary ref reappears and indicates they want to take it back. There's no waiting involved.

If you mean when should you pick up a battle to start emergency reffing, you should only do so if it has been posted in the Emergency Ref thread or you've personally worked something out with the referee.

That made me think of my own question though... if you E-ref a battle, do you only get paid for e-reffing the first round you do, or do you get paid for every round you do as an e-ref? I've been doing it the second way, and none of the bank staff questioned my monetary gains so I assume it's safe, but... like I said, it feels like a really easy way to get money. Or maybe I'm just a really fast ref... I dunno.
Every round. It is an easy way to get money.

Paychecks

Alraunne: 1 2 = $14
Blastoise: 1 = $7
blazheirio889: 1 2 = $26
DarthWaffles: 1 2 3 = $21
Heavy Lobster: 1 2 3 4 5 + $5 = $40
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 = $26
L'il Dwagie: 1 = $7
Mike the Foxhog: 1 2 3 4 = $42
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
Shadow Serenity: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 + $5 = $68

Last edited: