• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Should we get rid of pennies?

Should pennies be phased out?

• Total voters
I believe the sides of Euro coins also have specific markings and grooves that allow blind people to tell the difference between coins (f.e. 1/2 euros, 10/20/50 cents)

They do. They are also all different sizes, and have the number raised out a bit. Notes, however, I'm unsure about.

Yeah they are different sizes but if the paper's crumpled up that wouldn't be a big help though

Definitely! Pennies have always been a hassle for me to carry around and the money saved by not making them would at least be something to help with our massive debt. Although, I wonder if companies will continue with charging with 99 cents, though, seeing as gasoline prices still insist on having 9/10 of a cent on their prices.

Also agree on difference lengths on dollar bills for the blind and replacing the dollar bill with a coin.

Last edited:
So very jealous. When I buy two drinks in Canterbury, I don't get much change out of £10. It's so expensive here, even the student bars.

So unless it's somebody's birthday, we stay in and play awful drinking games with Tesco value vodka and whatever mixers we find instead. #thestudentlife
cheap booze is the advantage to living up north! the disadvantage is that you have to live up north.

that's pretty grim if £10 only gets you that far. I'd have thought that outside of London/Brighton prices would be slightly less ridiculous. ah well, drinking at home can still be fun! half the time my house's pre-lash turns into the main event since we're too lazy to drag ourselves into town.

cheap booze is the advantage to living up north! the disadvantage is that you have to live up north.
you live in york.
york is posh as all fuck.
hell, one bit that is posh as hell has in fact been described as a shit hole by someone that lived there. this bit had 2 private schools on one street and a bazillion giant houses nearby.
if you stepped out into somewhere that was /really/ northern you'd get nutted in 5 seconds.

as
for
pennies

i was surprised to learn that several countries got rid of them actually
but yeah like tailsy said (i think it was tailsy?) if we got rid of our pennies the shield would have a hole in it and everything would be ALL WRONG
also we'd have to get rid of 2ps. who else even HAS 2ps.

who doesn't love a good 2p? just hangin' around in there, being bigger than all the other coin denominations except £2 for some godawful reason.

that's pretty grim if £10 only gets you that far. I'd have thought that outside of London/Brighton prices would be slightly less ridiculous. ah well, drinking at home can still be fun! half the time my house's pre-lash turns into the main event since we're too lazy to drag ourselves into town.

Well, Canterbury's still firmly in the commuter belt, so we have London prices for everything (including rent - I pay the same rent (admittedly for a much nicer place) as my BFF who lives in Zone 1) but don't get the London loan. Not that I, as a masters student, get a loan at all anymore, but still.

Although not having to live up north is lovely. For starters, I'm from Devon, and regard Kent as dark, cold and way too far to travel. My sister's at Leeds uni, and said to me when she last visited Canterbury "It's so lovely to be able to wander around at night and not have to worry about being mugged and murdered!". Her house next year comes with bars installed on the door and ground-floor windows. In my second-year house, I managed to shut the door with the keys still in the lock outside about three times, and each time, a kind randomer who was walking past posted the keys through the door :)

Canterbury's also voted in a Tory MP every election for the past million years or something (seriously, it's something like a 65-year streak), but eh, I can always vote at home :p

you live in york.
york is posh as all fuck.
if York is posh by northern standards then by god the north really is grim. :P

Canterbury's also voted in a Tory MP every election for the past million years or something (seriously, it's something like a 65-year streak), but eh, I can always vote at home :p
you guys have Tory MPs, we have this idiot. idk England just sucks in general? :P

i was surprised to learn that several countries got rid of them actually
but yeah like tailsy said (i think it was tailsy?) if we got rid of our pennies the shield would have a hole in it and everything would be ALL WRONG
also we'd have to get rid of 2ps. who else even HAS 2ps.
we used to have 2c coins! look so cute! and our 1c coins had possums!
Australian_2c_Coin.png
Australian_1c_Coin.png

Although not having to live up north is lovely. For starters, I'm from Devon, and regard Kent as dark, cold and way too far to travel. My sister's at Leeds uni, and said to me when she last visited Canterbury "It's so lovely to be able to wander around at night and not have to worry about being mugged and murdered!". Her house next year comes with bars installed on the door and ground-floor windows. In my second-year house, I managed to shut the door with the keys still in the lock outside about three times, and each time, a kind randomer who was walking past posted the keys through the door :)

if York is posh by northern standards then by god the north really is grim. :P

sometimes i do have to wonder why people even go to uni up here if you're all scared of being murdered or whatever

i tell you what though, /london/ is scary
i was nervous being in london at 6pm while totally fine being in nottingham (gun crime capital of the uk) at 2am

and omg uv those coins are amazing

Am I the only person who actually loves the penny? Personally I think pennies are awesome and should be kept around, but have the composition change so it doesn't cost 1.6 cents to make them.

*dodges stones and bullets*

sometimes i do have to wonder why people even go to uni up here if you're all scared of being murdered or whatever
because everyone at York got rejected from Oxbridge because the rents/living costs are so amazingly cheap. and because for some reason the north has a high concentration of top-ranking universities (Durham, York, Leeds etc.)

i tell you what though, /london/ is scary
i was nervous being in london at 6pm while totally fine being in nottingham (gun crime capital of the uk) at 2am
it depends which bit of London you go to. :P

obviously you don't go to Peckham after sundown, but some areas are so tame I swear you could leave your front door unlocked.

that said, although York might be grim in certain ways (whoever designed the road system should probably be sacked) you're right that it's fairly tame. I've never felt at all nervous walking home alone at 3am, whereas I'd be at least a little edgy if I was to do the same in Brixton.

Use a debit card that directly withdraws the money from your bank account. Over here cash transactions are used less and less in favour of just swiping your debit card through a little machine that allows you to wire the money directly from your bank account. No more fuss with having cash.

We've been doing this for years.

These are my points. Seriously, our systems rock, and yours do not. Went on a trip to france and got a few one-cents. I still see no meaning of them what so ever. Oh btw, some random info: The original finnish currency was actually named mark and penni.

Didn't Finland phase out their one and two cent coins like almost immediately? If you find one of those, you're in luck

sarah plays a sad violin because she's the most northern of all of you

(although as soon as i start speaking people in england tend to back down, i find)
(oddly)

Back
Top Bottom