• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sinnoh Choice Pokemafia [Game Thread]

Ooookay hold it right there. Mawile, you first said we could just ask and you'd tell us what your other abilities are, but then when confronted about the fact you have an inspection-scrambling ability you said you didn't know? That doesn't seem very consistent. Care to explain what's going on here exactly?

Also, I can also switch between forms (my Pokémon is Snorunt but by holding either a Nevermeltice or a Dawn Stone it gains attributes of either Glalie or Froslass, apparently?), but I was told in my initial role PM exactly what both forms can do, and from the looks of it Eifie is the same. Do other people have forms? Were you told what your forms are and what they can do beforehand?

Hm, so you still don't know any of the other abilities? You did tell us to ask if we wanted to know.

Ooookay hold it right there. Mawile, you first said we could just ask and you'd tell us what your other abilities are, but then when confronted about the fact you have an inspection-scrambling ability you said you didn't know? That doesn't seem very consistent. Care to explain what's going on here exactly?

Ok, so in my state of sleep deprivation, I neglected to mention that I was actually kicked out of Wash form at the end of N0. As I said in one of my other posts, I'm stuck in a form until I get kicked out of it, which is exactly happened last night.

I said that you can "just ask" because my intention was to let you guys choose my next form and then I'll report back once I get the ability and the next day phase hits. (I am terrible at phrasing, so if this seems weirdly worded, please tell me and I'll try to clarify. I've never had a role this strange before, to be honest.)

So, so far my abilities are as follows:
  • any form: roleblocking ability from a list of any 3 possible night actions.
  • normal form: ?
  • heat form: ?
  • wash form: information scrambling/blocking ability. Still not entirely sure how this one works, except for that it only targets a single person.
  • frost form: ?
  • fan form: ?
  • mow form: ?

Although, now that I think about it, that means that someone had to have targeted me with some kind of ability last night that can force me to change form. Did that happen to anyone else?

I actually don't have Manaphy. I was given a variety of Pokemon to choose from, with Manaphy among them, but I didn't choose it.

What other pokemon did you have the option of choosing from, then? Also, if you don't mind, which pokemon did you end up picking?

Apologies for not being able to participate in the discussion up until now.

I'm rather quite suspicious of Mawile. Aside from the apparent backpedaling, every power he has thus far claimed to have would be beneficial to have as a mafia -- it's possible he's attempting to making a false alignment claim out of a true role claim. Considering how many players so far have claimed that their powers are based on form changes, I wouldn't be stunned to find that the mafia has at least one member designed similarly. Also, even aside from being some apparent backpedaling, I have trouble buying the story about being locked in the formes -- it'd be some prime bastard GMing to have an isolated innocent depending on an external action to use their powers most properly, and Mawile can't really use his powers properly without trying them out each at a time since he doesn't seem to be informed of what they do until he tries them, and at least one has turned out to be outright detrimental to the innocent faction. Then again, it'd be much less of an issue if it turned out to be that he's mafia and his ally is the one who has the key to force him out a given role power.

I was sort of hinting at that this morning, yes, although I was worried that I was just reading too much into things. Something that sticks out to me is how Mawile totally volunteered this information, though. Why would he do that? It's not like the inspection thing looks at all innocent, unless I'm missing something.

But if Mawile is activated alien, how did he get activated? There was a kill last night, and thus a vig must have activated him. Unless untraditional Alien, but.

Well, it's alien-like, not an alien itself. I dunno, though. I'm just trying to think of reasons for Mawile's strange behaviour when I believe he should have known better. It's probably been years since I last played mafia with him, but I remember having a decently high opinion of him.

I'm just trying to think of reasons for Mawile's strange behaviour when I believe he should have known better.

I figured that people were just volunteering information, like how you and Superbird both did. Also to be honest, I feel like my current ability should have gone to a mafia member, since there's no reason an innocent would have it.

At this point, I think the only reason I should be kept alive is because I can tell everyone what 3 abilities exist in the game each night. It's pretty much free information, although I will admit that it might not be the most useful thing in this game. If you all don't want to lynch me because you think I'm activated alien, then that's fine. I will say, though, that it doesn't really make sense for me to theoretically have 7 abilities in addition to also being the alien. It just seems like a bit too much power for me to have in one role.

I would like to hear more from Superbird on how his ability works, though, because he accused Eifie right away and he claims to have what can basically be 26 different abilities that he also knows nothing about until they're used.

I have trouble buying the story about being locked in the formes -- it'd be some prime bastard GMing to have an isolated innocent depending on an external action to use their powers most properly, and Mawile can't really use his powers properly without trying them out each at a time since he doesn't seem to be informed of what they do until he tries them, and at least one has turned out to be outright detrimental to the innocent faction.

Would like to share something on the matter. I've got Giratina and its two forms, and I have three possible actions. One can be used regardless of form and the other two are exclusive to Altered and Origin forms. I don't know how to switch forms and it appears to happen randomly. (I totally misunderstood this last night and tried to use one of the form powers -_- I don't think I even started in a specific form) So this game does appear to be turning out slightly bastard-esque, what with all the form changing and the shitton of powers (all three of mine have some interesting caveats on otherwise fairly standard Mafia powers).

I'm not defending Mawile, just talking about this specific part of your post. I am suspicious of Mawile but am also reluctant to say anything because I wouldn't be surprised if anything goes, y'know?

Every night, I choose a letter (or ! or ?) and am given a power that corresponds with that letter. I then get to choose a target.

I was sort of hinting at that this morning, yes, although I was worried that I was just reading too much into things. Something that sticks out to me is how Mawile totally volunteered this information, though. Why would he do that? It's not like the inspection thing looks at all innocent, unless I'm missing something.
For some reason, many mafiosi in TCoD are just as upfront with information as they'd be if they were innocent, even where there's every chance it'll work against them.

Would like to share something on the matter. I've got Giratina and its two forms, and I have three possible actions. One can be used regardless of form and the other two are exclusive to Altered and Origin forms. I don't know how to switch forms and it appears to happen randomly. (I totally misunderstood this last night and tried to use one of the form powers -_- I don't think I even started in a specific form) So this game does appear to be turning out slightly bastard-esque, what with all the form changing and the shitton of powers (all three of mine have some interesting caveats on otherwise fairly standard Mafia powers).

I'm not defending Mawile, just talking about this specific part of your post. I am suspicious of Mawile but am also reluctant to say anything because I wouldn't be surprised if anything goes, y'know?
Hmmm, if I understand correctly all forme-based powers give their wielder the ability to change formes at will -- are you sure you've understood yours correctly? In any case, formes determined randomly would still be a good amount less bastard than formes with an excellent chance of becoming flat useless outside of intervention that can only be brought about by sheer coincidence or contrived circumstances.

I also have two formes (regular and Mega Garchomp) with three actions, with one regardless of what form I'm in and the other two exclusive to each form, so I think Alti's claim isn't unrealistic. My role PM explicitly stated that I don't know how to change forms, so probably the person who can "can change what powers other people have access to" is in charge of that.

I was suspicious of Mawile when he backpedaled (especially because getting kicked out of his Wash form is a pretty big detail to leave out) and still suspicious now. Superbird revealed the nature of his role to show why he thought that Eifie was mafia, while Eifie revealed her role to defend herself because she was accused; we don't really need other innocents revealing their roles this early in the game unless they have useful information, and Mawile seemed to be fishing for information by getting ILS to reveal what Pokemon he is too. I don't think keeping Mawile alive for three power names a night - which may not even be available - especially when we don't know what they do, since if my powers are anything to go by, the abilities in this game could be counterintuitive if you only know the name. However, the chances of his being the alien-like role, or one of his formes' abilities being useful, might be a reason not to lynch him? I'm not quite sure, but if we think it's too risky to lynch him, we could always have a vig take him out tonight.

Regarding the other roles that have been claimed - Superbird, can you choose the same letter multiple times? Will that give you the same ability again, or do you not know? Can you abstain from whatever action you get, and if the answer to the first question is "no", will abstaining count as using up the letter? Are all the powers that you could possibly get distinct, or do you not know? And Eifie, can you change formes at will?

Superbird, can you choose the same letter multiple times? Will that give you the same ability again, or do you not know? Can you abstain from whatever action you get, and if the answer to the first question is "no", will abstaining count as using up the letter? Are all the powers that you could possibly get distinct, or do you not know?

No, I cannot choose the same letter multiple times. I probably could abstain, but unless I get a killing role I don't really see the need; it probably would count as using up the letter, if I'd chosen a letter up until that point. I don't know how many distinct powers I can get, and considering I apparently got insane/paranoid cop last night, they might actually all be unique.

Hmmm, if I understand correctly all forme-based powers give their wielder the ability to change formes at will -- are you sure you've understood yours correctly?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? I misunderstood it myself and squandered my night action as a result -_- but no, I don't know how to switch between forms, I assume it's either some sort of RNG thing or an outsider-influenced thing that I'm just not aware of the specifics of... for whatever reason.

No, I cannot choose the same letter multiple times. I probably could abstain, but unless I get a killing role I don't really see the need; it probably would count as using up the letter, if I'd chosen a letter up until that point. I don't know how many distinct powers I can get, and considering I apparently got insane/paranoid cop last night, they might actually all be unique.
Come to think of it, "I" could be for "Insane" as much as it could've been for "Inspection"...

And hmmm, the locked formes would make more sense if there were a player capable of shifting multiple possible roles, such that they wouldn't have to land a one-in-eleven shot for that power to be useful... Still doesn't necessarily sound like a great game design idea, but it'd be less strange. Although, Keldeo is claiming to have formes that might be shifted by that role, while Mawile is claiming he'd be forced out of his current forme rather than into a different one. Hmmmmm... I'm not sure that means something, but, there it is.

I also highly doubt that this is a deliberate attempt to draw a lynch rather than a slip of the tongue or some strange GMing. I think we can safely chalk this one up to ignorance (of whatever source) rather than malice, and knowing the difference between those is needed in order to prevent the possibility of a third-party victory from completely halting the scumhunting, since anyone that's remotely suspucious could on some level have been totally faking it. Besides, it's extremely unlikely that the circumstances for an alien win, modified or not, have been consummated this early in the game.

Okay, I managed to word my explanation earlier way wrong. ?_? I can't voluntarily switch forms either (I got the same "you don't know how to switch forms" message Altissimo talked about); what I was trying to say was just that I do know what they are and what powers they have beforehand. I was also told what form I was in in my initial role PM, and was then informed at the end of the night that my form had changed (or rather, that I was now holding a Dawn Stone). If others with similar descriptions haven't changed forms, presumably I was specifically targeted with some sort of form-changing action?

Back
Top Bottom