• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Team Planning (Need Help)

I am not leading with it, I just happened to mention it first. Which Pokemon should I lead with?

Depends on your strategy, although I would suggest something that's fast, can set up Stealth Rocks or other entry hazards, and/or KO the opponent's lead quickly before they can set a Stealth Rock up on you.

Swampert is Water-Ground, Surf has 95 Power-100% Accuracy where as Earthquake has 100 Power-100% Accuracy. Therefore, Earthquake is a better STAB move.

I think you misunderstood me. Surf would deal more damage than Ice Beam would to most pokemon due to STAB. Then again, I'm not sure about now well the type coverage would be, so ask someone else before you actually change it.

Trying to make it last an onslaught of attacks from an opponent.

The problem is that if your t-tar needs to face an onslaught of attacks from an opponent, you're probably doing it wrong. Sweepers are supposed to deal an onslaught of attacks to the opponent and knock them out before they themselves die, hence the importance of switching in competitive battling.

I will replace it with Rest.

Why Rest when the Starmie can learn a perfectly good Recover? Recover works way better, since your pokemon won't be useless for two rounds afterward.

What should swap into it slot?

Whatever you think'll work best for your team, really; I would suggest something that can switch in safely to grass attacks. I know you have a blissey already, but if that gets knocked out, you're kinda screwed.

FEAR looks kind of fun, actually, but it's way too easy to counter.

Competitive battling is not all about stats, as some people may believe. A well timed strategic prediction will win a game more often than a couple of IVs here and there. If you're looking to learn about strategy, then http://www.youtube.com/user/mtgxerxes is one of the most informative battlers who posts videos on Youtube. This guy's videos taught me most of what I needed to get started.

If there's any advice I can give you, it would be not to use setup moves (status increasing moves) too early. Try to get a good look at what the opponent is using and try to faint anything that will stop you from setting up before doing so.

Another thing to focus on is team synergy, as mentioned earlier. Team building is partially about planning for certain situations, if and when they arise. Having a defensive Pokemon to fall back on when something unfamiliar comes up is my advise. Look closely at types of your Pokemon, especially primarily defensive ones.

Last edited:
I was really confused about this team-building situation, because no matter what there is going to be a counter-strategy or a way my team is flawed or what tiers mean, etecetra. But then I beat the Elite Four in Gen II and read this from Karen, the fourth one after beating her: "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on--the Champion is waiting."
That makes sense. Why not just use Pokemon I like? I mean, thats kind of the whole point isn't it? So that is what I'm going to do, thanks for all the help regardless.

^YES. This is my competitive team: Instead of using "good" pokémon, I use my favorites, and attach good movesets and stat layouts to each.

you can do that, but the more you do, the more important team synergy becomes.

(unless you drop stab blizzards from 130 base spa. or if you have base 40 spa and your only good stat is speed. some things really /don't/ have much potential.)

Back
Top Bottom