• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The QUILTBAG Club (formerly the LGBT club)

There's no need to be abrasive; judging by your original comment I would have thought you didn't entirely understand, either.

(Also, calling effeminate men 'sissy' is rather insulting. The word has very negative connotations.)

I quite like "sissy" :P It's kinda cute, if used in a non-insulting way. even though it never is

I only ever remember it being used as an insult at primary school (when saying 'gay' or 'fag' would get you into serious shit).

"don't be such a sissy! why don't you want to play football with us, you sissy?"
"you're such a sissy little girl, stop crying about it."
"if you don't go and get it, then you're a sissy."

:c I just find it really uncomfortable to hear.

but no one really suspects because I'm certainly not the most awkward person in the group. (that honor probably goes to my best friend, who nearly flashed me at Nifty Fifty's. and kept putting her head on my shoulder the whole car ride there. and then something else that I can't remember.)

Now I remember; she'll occasionally pull me onto her lap. This happens very very rarely though.

and the "I love you"s for no real reason. and that one time where I was really really sleepy and I went to talk to her and another friend and she was like "Uh, can I just talk to Jess alone for a second?" and after that conversation she came out of the classroom saying "So keep an eye on her, okay?" and gave me a weird look.

but knowing me i'm probably reading too much into that.

I only ever remember it being used as an insult at primary school (when saying 'gay' or 'fag' would get you into serious shit).

"don't be such a sissy! why don't you want to play football with us, you sissy?"
"you're such a sissy little girl, stop crying about it."
"if you don't go and get it, then you're a sissy."

:c I just find it really uncomfortable to hear.

I've never really heard it used, which might be the reason why it doesn't offend me. It sort of seems like a kind of American term that is used on Cartoon Network shows.

I've only ever heard those really flaming, effeminate gay guys described as "sissy." And I've heard of one girl whose actual legal name was Sissy. And she turned out to be a butch lesbian.

(Not trying to be rude, I just found this so funny and ironic)

Er, rejoining, as like 98% gay and 2% straight. Although I'm not sure I'd have to rejoin, nobodies really keeping track. :P

So I have a little problem. The guy I like is my best friend and I've tried to tell him multiple times that I like him. One time, he was even like "Oh wait, does that mean you..." and I was like "YES NOW DO YOU GET IT?" And then he lost the thought. And he's literally the smartest guy in our town and is applying to IMSA, so I'm really confused as to how he missed that. >_<

He also left me out when a friend of mine who knows all this pointed out he has 3 people who like him, naming the other two and being generally confused as to the identity of the third person (me). But then he's agreed to never talk about "what was said that Friday" in public again. So now I have no clue whether he knows or not!

Now he's had plenty of girlfriends, as in twenty to my one (all of his relationships last like 3 weeks max), but then get this - he was the first friend to jump on the chance to go to the Monster Ball with me. Which makes me really confused because FFFFFF WHY

Uh, sorry for ranting about my problems. :[

So I have a little problem. The guy I like is my best friend and I've tried to tell him multiple times that I like him. One time, he was even like "Oh wait, does that mean you..." and I was like "YES NOW DO YOU GET IT?" And then he lost the thought. And he's literally the smartest guy in our town and is applying to IMSA, so I'm really confused as to how he missed that. >_<

Maybe he's just oblivious to romantic stuff? I'm like that too, it took me two years and a ton of convincing (including my best friend literally skipping around the cafeteria singing "HE LIKES YOU HE LIKES YOU HE LIKES YOU~") before I finally realized that my crush liked me. And by that point I was over him. *headdesk* Hopefully he'll get it eventually.

(That's actually why I'm so confused with my best friend! I swear to God, if she does like me, one of these days it's gonna be so obvious that I'll just be like "wait, she likes me?" and everyone else will be like "...Rachel where have you been, duh.")

(also completely unrelated but OMG Zodiac t.A.T.u in your signature :D)

Now he's had plenty of girlfriends, as in twenty to my one (all of his relationships last like 3 weeks max), but then get this - he was the first friend to jump on the chance to go to the Monster Ball with me. Which makes me really confused because FFFFFF WHY

I hate to present an unfavorable scenario to you, but I kinda wish I'd taken into account unfavorable situations when I was younger so I'll tell you: Sounds like he's avoiding the issue, which in my experience would probably mean he doesn't want to reject you because he doesn't want it to mess with your friendship. And straight boys can like Gaga too. Not to say that's the only thing that could be happening, just what it looks like to me.

My middle/high school days would've been a lot happier if I'd learnt to stop chasing straight boys. Hell, I'm not even sure I've even learnt yet. My head knows it, at least. That's a start.

(That's actually why I'm so confused with my best friend! I swear to God, if she does like me, one of these days it's gonna be so obvious that I'll just be like "wait, she likes me?" and everyone else will be like "...Rachel where have you been, duh.")

(also completely unrelated but OMG Zodiac t.A.T.u in your signature :D)

That first part is how it ALWAYS happens with me, but never with people I like. :/

As for my signature YEAHHH :D That has to be one of my favorite songs ever :P

EDIT: Jack_the_PumpkinKing, I have considered this and I do think it's the most likely thing. And it's not him liking her that I have an issue with, it's the fact he'd still go with me when he realizes or at one point realized how awkward it would be for me to be alone with him ever again, much less for 5 hours at a concert, regardless of whether it would be awkward to him or if he'd even remember.

Last edited:
Ugh. So I was just in town getting my hair cut, and the hairdressing women at the shop were talking and somehow got to the topic of the film Brokeback Mountain. The conversation went something like "I've never seen it, but I've heard what it's about, [insert slightly worried giggle]" "Yeah, it sounds quite disturbing!" "Mmm, creepy. Did you hear it got quite a few awards?" "Yeah, all the weird films like that do."

I was... Too polite to comment! I mean I've never seen the film myself, but describing it as 'disturbing' just because it concerns a gay couple? Eh.

So.

To kind of wake up this thread, I was hit by the realization a couple of nights ago that might be gay instead of bi.

Whoopdi-doo, I guess. :/

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that! What's bothering you about it, m'dear?

Ugh. So I was just in town getting my hair cut, and the hairdressing women at the shop were talking and somehow got to the topic of the film Brokeback Mountain. The conversation went something like "I've never seen it, but I've heard what it's about, [insert slightly worried giggle]" "Yeah, it sounds quite disturbing!" "Mmm, creepy. Did you hear it got quite a few awards?" "Yeah, all the weird films like that do."

I was... Too polite to comment! I mean I've never seen the film myself, but describing it as 'disturbing' just because it concerns a gay couple? Eh.

I'm guessing that means you live in a somewhat small town? My old high school's been around for decades but only just got a gay-straight alliance this year because the town's been so small for so many years and there are so few gays around that nobody thought to start one. (I suspect it's only happened now because we've grown so much in the last five years or so. Last year the high school was up to 2500 kids in a facility designed for 1500 max, and this year the district opened up a second high school.)

I'm guessing that means you live in a somewhat small town? My old high school's been around for decades but only just got a gay-straight alliance this year because the town's been so small for so many years and there are so few gays around that nobody thought to start one. (I suspect it's only happened now because we've grown so much in the last five years or so. Last year the high school was up to 2500 kids in a facility designed for 1500 max, and this year the district opened up a second high school.)

Not exactly small... The population's about 18,000. Eh, I dunno! Most people I know (Pretty much every at my school (which has about 2,300 students!), for instance) isn't, y'know, homophobic or anything. I guess it was just these women or something.

Ahaha, that sounds almost exactly like a conversation I had with one of my friends a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen the movie myself, but from what I've heard, it doesn't sound all that appealing anyway, despite its awards.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that! What's bothering you about it, m'dear?
I just don't want to accept it because of people around here and the general opinion they have. Tennessee=not gay-friendly. Hell, it took three years and several waves of depression just to come to the realization I was bi. And if my parents even found out about that, I don't even want to think about what could happen.

Just...general nervousness I guess.

I just don't want to accept it because of people around here and the general opinion they have. Tennessee=not gay-friendly. Hell, it took three years and several waves of depression just to come to the realization I was bi. And if my parents even found out about that, I don't even want to think about what could happen.

Just...general nervousness I guess.

Is coming out as gay really that much worse than coming out as bi? I can understand that since bisexuals are attracted to the opposite gender they're not as controversial, but bisexuality has a whole host of problems of its own. Being branded as an attention-seeker, greedy, unsure, just putting on a front etc.

Surely if where you live isn't gay-friendly, it's no more bi-friendly?

And Brokeback Mountain is awesome! \o/ Castform, those women sound utterly annoying.

Is coming out as gay really that much worse than coming out as bi? I can understand that since bisexuals are attracted to the opposite gender they're not as controversial, but bisexuality has a whole host of problems of its own. Being branded as an attention-seeker, greedy, unsure, just putting on a front etc.

Surely if where you live isn't gay-friendly, it's no more bi-friendly?
The way a lot of folks around here see it judging by general opinions and people I have come out to already about being bi, it's more like since bi people are attracted to both males and females, they're really only half-gay. Which in their eyes, obviously, isn't "as bad" as being gay. I suppose they're just ignorant of what it really is and how it shouldn't automatically be lumped in with gay, but oh well.

Bi often gets more hate, both within the community and without. To quote from my mother, 'they should just make up their minds' and 'if they like both they should just choose the opposite sex because it's easier' (as if you choose who you fall in love with). :| While within the community, they get crap like thinking they're faking it, or when they do choose an opposite-sex partner, that they're taking the easy way out.

Basically, no non-hetero sexuality is easier than any other.

So, uh, speaking of bi people, the more I thin about it, the more I want to come out. To my parents anyway. (School would be a disaster. Even if lesbians are considered hot to some.)

But my Mom thinks that bi people are just sluts or confused and I know she would tell me I'm too young and my hormones are just crazy ect, ect. Before someone does dwell on the fact I'm fourteen, let it also be known that I was in puberty starting in 3rd grade (I must've set some kinda record).

So do you think it's a good idea or should I just wait? I won't get disowned or anything, but I don't think I'll be believed.

Again on the subject of bisexuality! But a bit happier :3

Today I was having a rather... down day. I ended up having to call a lot of people out on sexist, racist, transphobic and homophobic bullshit throughout the day, and I ended up being silenced for even more. I was drained, tired, et cetera. And then, out of nowhere, this guy that I was friends with forever ago and have been on speaking terms with lately (though not exactly close) just sort of... came up to me and started talking. We talked about the ideas of "straight until proven gay" and how when one queer person says/thinks anything suddenly thats what every queer person thinks, et cetera. And I talked to him about the self-realization process and found out he's bisexual and it's just... I forgot how liberating it is to talk to someone about those things and have them not only judge you, but have had similar experiences and know where you're coming from.

I mean I know I have that here on the internet, but... I've never had that in the real world before. It felt good :)

fun fact guys
usually coming out has like 0 impact on life

just saying??

I mean I'm saying this as someone who is fairly open about being trans and the most I've gotten is jealousy from guys because I live in a girl's dorm.

Back
Top Bottom