• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

THE SERVER IS ROBUST

Ugh, let's not start this again.

Bear in mind that the last thread became nothing but petty arguing that really did nothing but make tempers flare on both sides. And Butterfree stated that she was not about do delete Forum Games, let alone for the hell of it.
This question has already been answered, the proposal already rejected.

Now look here, I see your points well and clear, but deleting forum games won't solve the problem, as Negrek stated. Sure, some of them... mostly all of them have no point in the world whatsoever, but other members enjoy playing them. Deleting forum games just for the sake of it will only lead to a mass uproar.

And besides, didn't Butterfree lock the last thread about deleting forum games?

I didn't say deleting it would solve any problems. I just want it deleted for the purpose of humor. Well, humor to me...

All I know is, the problem can't be from vB itself. All the forums I've seen that run off of it are fine, and have a hell of a lot more add-ons to the forum, including arcade, online plaza, and a full blown RPG.

Its a problem with the server. To quote Butterfree from the guestbook(took too long to find this >_<)

It's a specific error in connecting to the database; the maximum connections number keeps resetting itself to 20, which is way too low at the busiest times, even though I keep setting it to something much higher. The database error appears and reappears depending on whether or not there are already 20 connections or not.

I hope that is the problem. This is what came to mind when I read this, so here you go I guess....

Yes, that's why the server is robust. :|

it's too robust to keep its connections settings

the server has been quite robust as of late; apparently the server keeps being inexplicably full?

I think it's data gnomes. reproducing.

Actually, it was because of the twenty-something gigabytes of log files detailing every request made to the server for the last few years. We deleted them all and disabled logging, leaving something like two or three gigabytes on the disk. I don't think it's going to fill again anytime soon.

Deleting a few forum threads could never even begin to seriously free up space on the server. Just to give you an idea, the latest backup (and that's a SQL file with the instructions for recreating the entire thing, mind you, not just the data) for my guestbook, currently a hundred and fifty-something pages of twenty posts each, is less than one megabyte. And, of course, the database is actually on a different hard drive; it was the drive with the site that had the log files and was getting full.

It sure still has been slow and not very reliable lately. Sometimes pages won't even load, and it just gives me a white screen. And occasionally, when I post something, the post gets through, but it doesn't seem to update the 'latest post', which is annoying.

I think that just happens when the forum is really, really busy. Right now it works fine for me, but I have had the slowdown Kali mentioned before.

Back
Top Bottom