• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
gira-scartch-2.png

The_end_by_Frickish.png

th_Giratina-figureb.png

iegk8w.png

1. Pretty good. I already said some things in the Spriter's Club about it, specifically a bit of the shading.

2. My big issue is that it is blocky. That is a problem that plagues many scratch sprites and pixel art. It isn't bad, but usually you want to go for a smoother look.

3. Wonderful sprite. However, the size is a bit of an issue. You are trying to fit so much detail in a small size. But you did have to follow rules, so it isn't really your fault.

4. I honestly can't find anything wrong with it. Certain parts are a bit straight, and I don't like the pose, but that is just nitpicking.

picture.php

I'd like some crit on these, mainly the scratch (Already been here but oh well), Retype, Advanced recolor and the revamps. I don't expect someone to crit them all, but just two or three would be nice.

I haven't sprited in a while but here's some of my more recent ones... I hope I haven't lost my touch.

banettepixelover.gif

A Banette pixel over. It would be smaller but I used the cel-shaded image straight from Pokemon.com's Pokedex as the base. The shading doesn't match the Sugimori art's either, and I don't feel like going back and paling it up.

trainersprite.gif

A trainer sprite I did a few days ago. She's really plain. A rehaul will be in order once I can find the female heroine's sprite from the trainer cards (yes, it's different, she's holding her scarf like a bowtie and it's an adorable pose, but I haven't found it ripped yet.) But this is what I have for now. Suggestions?

redbluekangarevamp.gif

A revamp of the Red/Blue Kangaskhan sprite that I did just last night. It was like 3 in the morning when I was finished it. @_@

2ihw32v.png

My second proper scratch.
&
2rfzjig.jpg

My first "clone" pokemon (from Mewtwo strikes back. Like it?)

Last edited:
^ Unfortunately, can crit much on the scratch, but it looks okay.

Liking the Seadra though.

Er, can I get some crit on this retype?

2danbsl.png

^ Unfortunately, can crit much on the scratch, but it looks okay.
..what? It looks Ok? The shading's point seems to be directly in the centre, when it should be coming from the top-left, and the entire body is just copy-flipped. Yet you say it looks ok?

Frankly, I'm dissapointed in you two.

Got some more sprites I did yesterday...

hoothootpixelover.gif

Pixel-over of Hoothoot's old Sugimori art.

goldhoppip.gif

Revamp of Hoppip's Gold sprite.

silverbulbasaur.gif

Revamp of Bulbasaur's Silver sprite.

I made these three for a trainer card for my ASB profile, but the card itself still seems blah at this point so I'm still working on it.

alraunne.gif

Still couldn't ever find that alternate Dawn pose from the trainer cards, so I decided to just do a pixel over of her art and use it as a base. Kind of large. I'm proud to say it has only 14 colors, though, and most of the official trainer sprites have around 14 or less, so that was something I was going for.

And now, some CC.

Er, can I get some crit on this retype?

2danbsl.png

The concept/basic design is pretty good, but the details could use some work. Say, the leaf arms. The arm farthest from the viewer looks bigger than the one closest to us; as such, there's more room for the bright green, which makes it look brigher also despite being behind the body and head and everything. I would switch the arms around and adjust the shading accordingly.
I'd also make the base shade of green a touch lighter... It's a little dark and almost hard to see.
edit: The more I look at it, the more the farthest leaf-arm looks possible if the Pokemon were posed that way, holding their arm at that angle. Leaves are, after all, flat. If switching the arms doesn't look good, darken the farthest arm and move it back maybe a couple pixels behind the body, and see how that looks.

It's a great start though. :3

Last edited:
I scanned one of my drawings but it came out slightly (way too) small on the computer. so I made a pixel over of part of it.
wytesteelepixovr.png

it's a villain called Wyte Steele from one of my series'.

I've been ignored...

C+CC, please?

..what? It looks Ok? The shading's point seems to be directly in the centre, when it should be coming from the top-left, and the entire body is just copy-flipped. Yet you say it looks ok?

I will redo it so its not facing straight ahead and fix the shading when I got more talented, as my second proper scratch I don't think i've done that bad. I don't see any need for disappointment.

You did copy-flip it to take the easy way out. Sure, it is only your second scratch, but copy-flipping is generally a no-no in spriting.

They're pretty good for your first two scratches, I'd say. Well, Voltorb might not really be that hard, but that spritesheet is pretty cool.

Or I'm just easily impressed.

The Scyther is lacking in anatomy, its blades.. can't bend like that. And are longer. It seems to be standing on its toes, and its toes are attached to its abdomen. You forgot legs. The wings are oversized, or that could be because you made the sprite so small.. You can work with bigger boundaries, you know..? The biggest a sprite should be is 81x81 for DPPt styles, 64x64 for RSE/FRLG. how many times have I said that now

And the Voltorb spritesheet.. well, try a spritesheet for other Pokemon. More complex Pokemon. Seriously, Voltorb?

And that's why I said I can't crit much. I didn't really crit that well. ^^;

I was having one of my "Flora is being ridiculously oblivious" moments, and only took a quick glance. Sorry.

That looks really good! Of course, pixel overs are generally when you take a picture of pokemon from, say, a pokemon card and redraw in as pixel art, but still, that looks really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom