• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shades are too contrasting, and its face is too thin. Other than that, it's nice. Is it scratch? =D

tbh I love the high-contrast cell shaded effect, and think that latias looks more elegant that way

sorry to contradict on every count, but that's what I think

Where, on the Kimono? Well, I couldn't exactly put one. I was pushing the color limit as it was. D/P sprites only have up to 14 colors(I think). Mine has exactly 14. For Dedede's reds and blues, he does have light shades. His kimono, gloves, shoes, gold part of the hat, and his hammer all share the same colors, to some extent. They only differ in which combinations of colors are used and how I shaded them.

You Latias looks pretty good. It has an anime look to it, which is I guess what you were aiming for.

ugh sorry i meant to comment on Wolftamer's sorry! Its one of those things where you post something, but someone posts just before you...

oh yea and just saying, the Latias is pixelover not a scratch, and you should have seen the contrast of shading on the original! (black and the red that I used on the sprite)

image.php

Ice- and Flying-type Dragonite. Hard as heck, but worth it. Criticism?

Well, right around his head, the shade gets a bit monotonous. It could use maybe one darker patch and on lighter patch to break things up, placed in the proper spots of course.

fk8vmv.png

Charizard WIP. I'm not going to limit myself with this one, so hopefully it'll turn out great. Mainly done for more scratching practice.

So uh. My first time spriting anything in ages...
cid.png

A fail attempt at Cid from FFTA2 :V I left off his belts and stuff since that would have killed me. I'm very sure there's tons wrong with it criticize me D:

Uh, I don't usually do trainers an' stuff, so I can't be of much help here.

I'm almost done with Charizard. I just have to finish shading it. I'll upload it tomorrow.

So uh. My first time spriting anything in ages...
cid.png

A fail attempt at Cid from FFTA2 :V I left off his belts and stuff since that would have killed me. I'm very sure there's tons wrong with it criticize me D:

Its a really good sprite but the main thing I notice is that there is not much contrast between the base hair color and lighter and darker color. I may be wrong in your opinion but there is usually more contrast between them.

Well, this here's my first sprite in ages so I didn't expect it to be perfect. It turned out one hell of a lot better than I thought it would, though. Would like crit because I'm sure it could be better.

YAY70.png

Yup, my first sprite in ages was a scratch. :V I can't draw people so I draw bipedal cats to represent them. The one on the right is supposed to be some sort of semitransparent ghost-apparition-thing that gives off its own light. The background is supposed to be bleachers, like the kind you see at sports events (only these bleachers have an actual backing to them under the seats themselves, and the backing here is cream-colored concrete). Done over a two-week period at school while trying to hide it from my bitchy Computer Applications teacher on Paint. Whatcha think?

Last edited:
ei14qo.png
28infkm.png

Splice/fakemon thing. First sprite in a looong time.

Uhumm, it's Platinum Dodrio, Honchrow, Poochyena, and RS Tropius, and I think that's it. Color scheme from various others x:

Looks great. The frame 2 sprite has a leftover white spot between the legs.

EDIT:

Aggron_Scratch_HGSS_style_by_vaporchu8.png

Yeah, did I say I was working on a Charizard scratch? Gah, just another thing I need to finish, I guess.

Last edited:
Pixel-Overs

It's a screenshot of my extremely sloppy canvas on Paint. Mostly, what I think I need help with is outlines and shading. Are the outlines okay? Also, which type of shading should I continue with (I don't know the names of the different kinds of shading -__-), the one on the neck and head of the Skarmory in the upper-left, or the one on the tail of the Skarmory in the center? What can I do to improve, either way?

Sorry, but I haven't been spriting in a while, and I just decided to make a banner with pixel-overs on it for my return. Not such a bright idea =3

The pieces of the original TCG of Skarmory are separated like so because I wanted them to fit into the same screen as the part in my pixel-over where I was copying the shading when I magnified it =3

Pixel-Overs

It's a screenshot of my extremely sloppy canvas on Paint. Mostly, what I think I need help with is outlines and shading. Are the outlines okay? Also, which type of shading should I continue with (I don't know the names of the different kinds of shading -__-), the one on the neck and head of the Skarmory in the upper-left, or the one on the tail of the Skarmory in the center? What can I do to improve, either way?

Oh man, the tail-shading one is really impressive, I didn't even think it was pixel-shading until I zoomed in. o: Sadly, the anti-aliased look it has doesn't really fit in with the rest of the sprite, so I'd probably go with the dithery one instead. The dithery one looks nice too anyway, so don't worry!

I also think the outlines are fine, you just need to get around to shading them and stuff, haha. Maybe try one with 'normal' outline shading, and one with an all-blue outline like the card art, just to see how it looks?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but:

(copied from various places)

Tonight, at 6:00 PM EST, I'm going to be hosting the first edition of Pocket Spriter, a LIVE Pokemon spriting tutorial, where you'll be able to ask questions on how to make sprites, while watching me make a few. (If you're interested in helping make sprites/answer questions, note or MSN me)
It'll take place on Livestream (livestream.com/pocketspriter).

I will also be taking fakemon requests during PS, so if you want a free request step right up!

This will kill your eyes...

C+CC? (Don't C+CC the colours... I know it murders your eyes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom