• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TQftL audiobook

I could probably produce a passable Icelandic accent. I'm definitely practicing it for my own entertainment now, but whatever the author thinks is best, really

I honestly don't see much point in narrating in an Icelandic language when the only person who would really know if it was done right really wouldn't want to hear it anyway...! unless you're really good at voices, imitating accents almost always sounds forced and awkward, which is kinda sucky for narration.

I dunno, you guys... Let's not get too casual here. If something's worth doing, it's worth doing right, I always say! So let's be as professional as possible.

Now, on to business.

As many of you already know, I am actually a trained voice actor. While it's true that I have a terrible voice, I make up for it by being really enthusiastic about things like food, music and Lord of the Rings, and I'm pretty good at baking. I got the impression you guys were having a hard time getting started, so I thought I might as well get the ball rolling!

Click here to hear my reading of the ILCOE prologue!

By the way, I also noticed you haven't yet decided on a language for this reading. The only language we all have in common is English, but Butterfree is from Iceland, so I figured the only thing that really makes sense for everyone is a Swedish-accent reading.

Click here to hear a Swedish reading of IALCOTN chapter 1!

This last one is just for you, Butterfree. You've shaped much of my childhood and I think you deserve so much more than this, but all I can give you is my gratitude and these immortal words: And that was why Mark thougt he could never become a pokémon trainer.
UNTIL THAT DAY.
Is it bad that I think you sound like a Skyrim guard?

yes?

okay...

Guys, no one really is suggesting we read in Icelandic accents. Read however you want, within reason.

Last edited:
There's a lot that needs to be discussed and organised and so on. But before I worry about any of that, tell me: does anyone want to do this at all?

What actually needs to be "discussed and organized"? There are already people hanging around who want to try reading lines; what's keeping that from starting right now?

I think it's silly to be super-serious on auditions, too, but what about a fake audition round! Like people recording lines of different characters and talking about who they want to be and exchanging tips on how to sound a bit better seems like fun, even if everyone gets in when they "audition"!

That way everyone's in the spirit of it and working together already. It's a lot harder if it has to be super-organized and perfect before people can begin, and then it's kind of scary to start since it's like a big commitment all of a sudden!

To start with, maybe we could pick an early-on chapter with several characters, and get a post together with some lines for it that people can do recordings for? So the post (or a webpage or Google doc or something) could look like:

Character: line links to recordings

Mark: "Are you asleep?" [User42] [Kittyfroghead] [Qqqq]
Charmander: "Wha… no, I was just… er, in deep thought" [Qqqq] [Charmander4Ever]
Eevee: "Vuii!" [User42] [Qqqq] [Charmander4Ever]

Then people can practice!

I like Hiikaru's idea. (Except for the picking an early chapter bit, since the characters are often barely recognizable, but.)

I like Hiikaru's idea. (Except for the picking an early chapter bit, since the characters are often barely recognizable, but.)

Oh, I was just thinking early chapter because some people who wanted to read aloud said they haven't gotten that far! If whoever's collecting lines filters out spoilers from a later chapter that's great, too.

I'd be willing to compile all the lines and stuff. Just PM me the file (Google docs or vocaroo would work, preferably Google), the line you're reading and the character.

Back
Top Bottom