• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

U.S. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States

Guys... I never cry. Never. Sparing, you know, breaking a limb.

But when I heard of the first couple in Texas finally marrying after 54 years, I shed a tear. It was beautiful.

There are a bunch of people who are threatening to move to Canada because this country is going to hell.

It's kind of funny to wonder how long it'll take before they realize that it's been legal in Canada for 10 years already.

At any rate, it's about time.

I'm really happy about this, but there are people I know who object or are unhappy about it. I guess it kinda just goes to show who I should and shouldn't be making an effort with. At the same time, I still can't help but feel disappointed in those people.

I'm super glad this is happening! but at the same time I'm worried because:
a) allll the catholic churches are gonna go "LET'S TALK ABOUT WHY THIS IS WRONG" in their homilies (if they haven't already) and the poor lgbtqia kids are gonna have to sit through that
b) a bunch of lgbtqia kids are gonna take the opportunity - if they haven't already - to come out to their family/friends - i know of a few who have! - and a lot of them are NOT gonna be recieved happily
and c) a bunch of states - fuck you, alabama - either have or are going to ban marriage licenses for EVERYBODY so they can get around it. Which isn't fair to ANYONE.

on the other hand, though, most of the people I know are excited (my classmates were SO PUMPED), and I've actually seen one or two people (who used to be against it) who thought a lot and came to the conclusion that they are totally for same-sex marriage! which is SPECTACULAR.

I'm super glad this is happening! but at the same time I'm worried because:
a) allll the catholic churches are gonna go "LET'S TALK ABOUT WHY THIS IS WRONG" in their homilies (if they haven't already) and the poor lgbtqia kids are gonna have to sit through that
I actually think the catholics are pretty ok with it. IIRC it's some of the protestant denominations that are going to be really angry.

and c) a bunch of states - fuck you, alabama - either have or are going to ban marriage licenses for EVERYBODY so they can get around it. Which isn't fair to ANYONE.
...to which I think "wait, wasn't the legal basis of the ruling that since it's legal in some states it must be legal in all states?" which, by extension, would prohibit this?

Although something I've been seeing mostly on facebook is people saying "OK, we got same-sex marriage. Now there are like 30 more issues," and while I understand it makes me kind of sad that they're not willing to celebrate the victory at least for a little while.

I actually think the catholics are pretty ok with it. IIRC it's some of the protestant denominations that are going to be really angry.

i missed church today but according to my sis there was some...interesting stuff said in the homily (i was raised catholic, so there's my basis). My dad blatantly told he almost got up and left oh my god.

Although something I've been seeing mostly on facebook is people saying "OK, we got same-sex marriage. Now there are like 30 more issues," and while I understand it makes me kind of sad that they're not willing to celebrate the victory at least for a little while.

I don't think it's that at all! It's more of a reminder for allies that yeah, it's a victory, but same-sex marriage is not the be-all end-all of lgbt rights! A lot of folks on tumblr, i've noticed, are worried that it's gonna be seen as "homophobia is over" when it's really, really not.

It also applies here in Puerto Rico! In about ten days we get the first gay weddings.

I'm Catholic and I've yet to hear anything, but I did read the newspaper, and religious people have said some pretty nasty things.

A bit late to post here, but that's great to hear :D Really happy for the US.

Well if that isn't the most immature way to handle it I've heard of
"If the gays can get married, then NO ONE can get married!"

Back
Top Bottom