• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you think of fellow forumgoers

why do you use double semicolons to denote actions aaahhfkdshfkjsd
;; it's ~OKAY~, Dewgong, text *formatting* ~||makes you||~ a SPECIAL ~*~*~*~SNOWFLAKE~*~*~*~ ;;
They're a big deal because semicolons have an established purpose. You really shouldn't be using them outside of that purpose; the point of written language is to communicate with others. This is why I have a problem with asterisks being used to denote actions as well.
I care very much. I will continue to argue with you if you keep abusing my precious language like that.
I think that both are annoying to read, to be honest. Not difficult, but certainly a pain. I did say I disliked used of the asterisk to denote actions as well.

yeah this is quite a long rant for what is really the most pathetically trivial matter i've come across on TCoD (which believe me is a VERY petty place at times)

I fail to see how 8 sentences worth of counter-arguments counts as a "page-long rant." Plus you conveniently failed to mention the many posters on the other spectrum of the argument who made posts much longer than my own.

The fact that you're even trying to continue this argument makes me want to scream at you and hit you with something blunt and metal. D:

I think that both are annoying to read, to be honest. Not difficult, but certainly a pain. I did say I disliked used of the asterisk to denote actions as well.
WHY DO YOU THINK THEY ARE A PAIN

Probably something alone the lines of (Laughs.), which is the way it's done in interviews for publications and such. Although I think actions in posts is ridiculously stupid, but eh. To each their own.

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY ARE A PAIN
ALLCAPS IS VERY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR YOU, RUBY.

WHEN I READ THINGS I WANT TO HAVE SOME CONSISTENCY. WHENEVER I SEE DOUBLE SEMICOLONS, ASTERISKS, ETC. USED I NEED TO DO A DOUBLE TAKE AND RE-READ THE LINE OVER SIMPLY BECAUSE SOMEBODY DECIDED IT WAS COOL TO USE THEM, GRAMMATICAL RULES I GREW UP LEARNING BE DAMNED. IT INTERRUPTS THE FLOW OF THE POST.

The fact that you're even trying to continue this argument makes me want to scream at you and hit you with something blunt and metal. D:
Weren't you arguing as well? Or are you magically exempt from continuing the argument?

and who are you, exactly, to determine it in turn :)
I'm not in a position to determine that... if you hadn't noticed, I never actually did.

Furret... Are you actually serious, or are you just doing this for the sake of argument? Because as it stands, I can't help but wonder if it's the latter.

Last edited:
I'm not in a position to determine that... if you hadn't noticed, I never actually did.
i've noticed several posts whining about the use of semicolons to denote actions in posts, which definitely says something about you thinking it necessary criticism :)

when in fact you can see how nobody is actually bothered by it except you. it makes you look rather silly, my friend.

Furret... Are you actually serious, or are you just doing this for the sake of argument? Because as it stands, I can't help but wonder if it's the latter.
I'm arguing against the numerous condescending posts directed at me. You'll have to forgive me if I seem a little bitter.

when in fact you can see how nobody is actually bothered by it except you. it makes you look rather silly, my friend.
I really don't care about what other people think; it's not a factor I take into account when determining my opinions.

I'm arguing against the numerous condescending posts directed at me. You'll have to forgive me if I seem a little bitter.

I really don't care about what other people think; it's not a factor I take into account when determining my opinions.

ever thought the reason for condescension may be because your argument is stupid? you may not realise how silly you look or not even care, but we do. the thing is that you're purposefully being angry and retarded about something that isn't even relevant. it's like making an elephant out of a mosquito.

Well, argue to your heart's content, but realize that there are times when it's better to not say anything.

(I know what you're like. You want to defend your opinion. You want to defend yourself. You're so proud... Sometimes, offence is not a good defence. One day this will be the end of you.)

Offence is only a good defence provided you're playing opposites. Otherwise, the two are separate parts of combat.

AK you are the only one who has to doubletake when semicolons are used. No one else has to. We are not all going to change our writing style so that one person, you, doesn't have to doubletake. And it's mad to suggest that we should. I don't like italics' being used to point out an action, but I am not going to tell everyone not to use italics.

But to me it seems obvious that this isn't really about readability: this is about pointlessly keeping to a set a grammatical rules which in fact you barely know.

Back
Top Bottom