• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What gender is Pikachu?

What gender is Pikachu

• Male

Votes: 177 94.1%
  • Female

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters
male. no tail dent. I always thought it was. even though its voiced by a girl. poke-otaku. i know these things.

It's probably male because of its fierce personality. I could never imagine Pikachu as a girl. If it was, I'd never think of Pokemon TV shows the same.

Actually, on Bulbapedia it states: Jessie's Yanmega's gender is confirmed to be female in this episode, being the only one who was not affected by Togepi's Attract while Pikachu, Piplup, Meowth, and Croagunk were. In addition to this, Pikachu's gender is also officially confirmed in the Japanese version. (this is on "Where no Togepi has Gone Before!") So, Pikachu is, in fact, a male.

Besides the Togepi thing above^ It is also male because of the tail, a female has a heart shaped like thing for its tail, and male is just normal

Besides the Togepi thing above^ It is also male because of the tail, a female has a heart shaped like thing for its tail, and male is just normal

Well, the gender differences weren't created until Generation IV so that might not be right. I agree that it is a male, but in America, there's no proof yet. But from that episode where Pikachu and Piplup liked each other... That makes me think that Piplup's a female.

Probably male, though he acts very feminine.

The idea of Pikachu being female just seems... wrong.

I've always thought of Pikachu as a dude ever since I started watching the show..

Pikachu has struck me as male, but his voice is high pitched.

He's a male. It doesn't seem right for him to be a girl.

I consider it male, it's always been that to me, and always will.

Male. I have no idea how he could even be remotely thoguht of as female!

Ash's Pikachu definitely isn't the most masculine pokemon ever - but it is male

I say male....it just makes more sense to me that way...

othering.png

Male = default.

It's probably male because of its fierce personality. I could never imagine Pikachu as a girl. If it was, I'd never think of Pokemon TV shows the same.

'Cause females can't be fierce. No sir.
And why on earth would you never be able to think of it as the same?

othering.png

Male = default.

Unfortunately, on male-orientated kids shows like Pokemon... male really is the default. I would be extremely surprised if it turned out Pikachu was female.

...I'm also pretty sure that Pikachu is referred to as 'he' at least 50% of the time anyway.

Pikachu is undecidedly male. There's no other option. Sure, HE's voiced by a woman. A lot of boys on younger children's shows have been voiced by women, who disguise their voices slightly. It's not that odd. I don't watch the anime very often, but from what I've seen, he certainly acts male, and the other characters treat him as male. He has acted embarrassed to be in a feminine costume before, as well as displayed infatuation when the move Attract was used on him. But yes, the most obvious thing is indeed the tail dent, or lack thereof depending on where you're coming from. Generation IV added this, and any other gender discrepancies between male and female Pokémon only to prove that Ash's Pikachu in the anime was indeed a male. They had obviously heard debates like this before, and were willing to settle it once and for all. The only reason they did so for other Pokémon was to show that they weren't just biased towards Pikachu, whom all too many Pokémon fans, particularly the hordes of newbies that plague its community, are. But judging from threads such as this, Nintendo's attempts to settle the debate went OH SO WELL...so apparently, fans aren't wholly satisfied. Until one of the characters in the anime finally and unquestionably breaches that wall that is the endless dispute as to Pikachu's gender, the debate will continue. So argue if you will, but judging on the (rather small, actually) amounts of evidence that we have, Pikachu is, in all likelihood, male. One day, this question will be finally answered without further question, but I hope that by this post, I have reduced the debate some.

(And sorry it's such a long post, but I had a lot to say, as well as confirm what had already been said.)

Pikachu's a boy. It was proved later on in the anime :P

But early on it makes sense they wanted to keep the gender more private I think.

Back
Top Bottom