• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HG/SS What is thought, Superbird?

Chief Zackrai

pingpong wixard
... Literally. I'm looking for his advise on this because it's a flying-mono. (but if you know what you're talking about i.e. the people who usually critique competitive teams, feel free.)

149.png
{Keny} W/Muscle Band N:Adamant Ability: Inner Focus
Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace/ Thunder Wave
Fire Punch
Superpower

Adamant Dragonite for general physical sweeping? Should destroy Blisseys with its Superpower, and eats most attacks that aren't Ice-typed. I should hope.

468.png
{Steeve} W/ King's Rock N: Timid Ability: Serene Grace
Thunder Wave
Air Slash (do I really need anything else?)
Ancient Power/ something else
Roost

Togekiss of death? if the opponent doesn't flinch, it's paralyzed. Timid for Speed, and Serene Grace for Cheapness. (Togekiss is really broken, isn't it?)

73.png
{Slimer} W/ something N: Modest/Timid Ability: Clear Body
Sludge Bomb
Surf
Rapid Spin
Toxic Spikes

Spins, then Sludge Bombs and Surfs things to death, I suppose. Tentacruel is growing on me like the Hoenn Region is. I have to say I might enjoy using him on this team.

279.png
{Gulliver} W/Leftovers N:Modest Ability: Keen Eye
Roost
Protect
Ice Beam
Surf

Roost/Protect staller, People hate him. Not much else.

426.png
{Gerome} W/ Life Orb N:Modest/Timid Ablity: Aftermath
Shadow Ball
Explosion
Thunderbolt
Will~O~Wisp

General suicidal Special Sweeper. Life Orb so some of his attacks do decent damage, and Explosion for final blows.

472.png
{Plato} W/Expert Belt N: Adamant/Jolly Ability: Hyper Cutter
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock
X-Scissor

Another Physical Sweeper, he gets some things that Dragonite Doesn't, I suppose.

SO, I kind of threw this together as I went, an explanation for its being kind of bad. What do you think, Superbird?

Last edited:
gyarados is good if you can get it properly set up; togekiss is a favorite for paraflinch (or even scarfflinch) abuse; yanmega if you don't mind the massive stealth rock damage. crobat was once popular, and staraptor can still rip into things that don't resist, which basically amounts to rotom .

since your team is going to be taking incredible amounts of damage from stealth rock, you might want to take a wildcard for claydol or tentacruel, because otherwise you're stuck with delibird; claydol gets SR and tenta gets TS for residuals. tenta probably works better because it can tank an electric hit, can outspeed something to RS, and isn't weak to ice, which is usually a bigger concern than electric with the big target called dragonite on your team.

gliscor can get SR and roost; EQ/SE is mostly all the coverage it really needs; add u-turn for "perfect" coverage, or x-scissor, or anything that hits breloom, claydol, flygon, and bronzong; or swords dance for massive power. (I think bug is actually the best choice for once.)

read this.

Well, wouldn't Delibird take 4x the damage from SR, while Gliscor takes normal damage due to his ground typing?

And why does everyone link to Smogon? I cannot go to that site. At all. And I have no Idea why.

Stealth Rock and X-Scissor on Gliscor sounds good, and I might replace Xatu/Noctowl with Staraptor or Togekiss.

Well, wouldn't Delibird take 4x the damage from SR, while Gliscor takes normal damage due to his ground typing?

And why does everyone link to Smogon? I cannot go to that site. At all. And I have no Idea why.

Stealth Rock and X-Scissor on Gliscor sounds good, and I might replace Xatu/Noctowl with Staraptor or Togekiss.

Gliscor learns Rapid Spin?

lol.

Okay, I was actually considering Dragonite as a Special Sweeper on my team, but I went with Charizard instead. Why? Its Attack ended up 303 and its SAtk was 326. Would've made a good mixed Sweeper, but...

For Dragonite, I'd personally go with Thunder Wave over Aerial Ace. You've already got Dragon Claw for reliable STAB, and Aerial Ace only gains 2x hits on types which either aren't really a threat (Fighting), or can be handled fairly easily in another fashion. One more thing; After one Superpower, it's ready to switch out, so...only one usage per Switch-in, probably. But it's the best option, so...I should shut up. Oh, also, if Item Clause isn't on, you might think about a Life Orb for Dragonite.

Once upon a time, I used Noctowl in my In-game team. I don't recommend it. This is pretty much a staller? Don't forget Sleep Clause. Anyway, Noctowl looks pretty good the way you have it set up, but really it can't do the job. If you wanted more direct Power, you could use Psychic instead, but Silver wind seems like the better option. Unfortunately, the "one status effect at a time" mechanic really screws this thing up. Yeah, replacing it is probably the better option.

I was actually considering a Xatu on my team in Claydol's place originally, but I went with Claydol for the trump card. And for Rapid Spin. Which brings me to another point. sreservoir is right. You need a spinner. If some opponent gets SR up against you, then your entire team is screwed. If you're sure you can survive even with SR up, then it isn't too necessary, but... If I don't clear SR before Claydol's death, it pretty much disables my ability to switch, and renders Charizard pretty much useless. Which destroys my strategy.

I really like Xatu as a pokemon. Unfortunately, it just doesn't have what it takes to stay in in OU. Which is probably why it's classified as NU. Along with Noctowl. The thing is, it has a really Sub-par movepool, and its defensive stats are less than one would like. Even after a Calm Mind, it's SDEF isn't that good, and it really suffers from a physical attack. Honesty, what will this thing go up against?

Personally I don't really like Pellipper as a pokémon, but here it's executed quite nicely. It looks pretty good to me, but you might want to think about sticking HP Ground in there somewhere, to cover its primary weakness. Additionally, if you might want to switch to Surf if you want extra power.

Go Timid. The Drifblim needs to outspeed anything before it gets popped. Literally, its defenses are so bad it's not even worth trying. But actually, its offensive options could be worse--it has a bigger Movepool, slightly, than the rest of your team. Alterntively, you could put on a Focus Sash, so that it can get in an extra hit before being hit down to 1 HP, and then explode in the opponent's face.

I've always been fond of Gliscor. This one seems pretty good, coverage-wise, at a first glance. I like the SR. Stealth Rock is always extremely helpful to set up. It just looks really good, period. Nothing really for me to say about this one. Except to go speed. Gliscor needs it. The Life Orb will provide power; Jolly nature is recommended.

Ever thought about Gyarados? It could be good on this team.

Go Timid. The Drifblim needs to outspeed anything before it gets popped. Literally, its defenses are so bad it's not even worth trying. But actually, its offensive options could be worse--it has a bigger Movepool, slightly, than the rest of your team. Alterntively, you could put on a Focus Sash, so that it can get in an extra hit before being hit down to 1 HP, and then explode in the opponent's face.

drifblim actually has massive HP. its sole purpose in life is basically to pass gigantic subs. to aid this, it also has hypnosis and stockpile. it can actually take a hit, sub down to berry, and pass.

...I was not thinking about HP when I wrote that.

Actually, the only reason I use a mono-flying team at all is to show my love for birds.

drifblim actually has massive HP. its sole purpose in life is basically to pass gigantic subs. to aid this, it also has hypnosis and stockpile. it can actually take a hit, sub down to berry, and pass.

This is pretty much why I like Drifblim. He may have no defenses, but he kind of works like Wobuffet does. The hit points are insane. I actually forgot about Hypnosis...

And I jut like flying-types in general, which is why there aren't too many bird pokemon. I had a feeling the Noctowl should go, and also possibly Xatu as well.

Perhaps for Noctowl...

468.png
{Steeve} W/ King's Rock N: Timid Ability: Serene Grace
Thunder Wave
Air Slash (do I really need anything else?)
Ancient Power/ something else
Roost

Togekiss of death? if the opponent doesn't flinch, it's paralyzed. Timid for Speed, and Serene Grace for Cheapness. (Togekiss is really broken, isn't it?)

and for Xatu, I think:

73.png
{Slimer} W/ something N: Modest/Timid Ability: Clear Body
Sludge Bomb
Surf
Rapid Spin
Toxic Spikes

Spins, then Sludge Bombs and Surfs things to death, I suppose. Tentacruel is growing on me like the Hoenn Region is. I have to say I might enjoy using him on this team.

Last edited:
because most monotype challenges allow you to take a wildcard, because otherwise the person who drew a flying/ice/fire are basically screwed, not only taking massive SR damage, but also being stuck with delibird, cloyster, or torkoal for a spinner, all of which suck, delibird especially.

You should really change Dragonite to a mixed attacker with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Super Power and Roost/TBolt/Extremespeed and a Life Orb.

Togekiss does not need a timid nature since you're already paralyzing things, so switch to calm or modest. Also, ancientpower is only situational so give it aura sphere instead

Give Gliscor roost to stay alive longer. X-Scissor are useless (because to main target is grass type and since your team is mono flying should shouldnt have problems with that.)

... this thread is kind of old.

And also, I've never really used this team, due to lack of effort/ time with my gaming device.

Though, for Dragonite comments: Draco Meteor is not really good for a physical Dragonite, and Flamethrower I think kinda gets similar/the same damage from + attack. I do also normally use roost on Dragonites, but I never get around to /using/ it, because someone is like "lol ice attack, now ur dead lol" and its not fun for me, cuz I'm all like "Aw, my Dragonite... he knew Roost..."

On Togekiss, I would do Modest now, because I was a little more new to the whole competitive battling thing when I started.

Thirdly: Gliscor is my lead. Even though Roost is kinda pointless on him anyway (he tends to run into the same problem as Dragonite), X-Scissor is better anyhow because there's always that one person that's like "Hey look at my Alakazam lead lolol" and if you manage to live through the first attack, you can be like "haha look at your Alakazam. Now look at me. Look back at your Alakazam. He fainted. Why? My Gliscor knows X-Scissor." And yes, you do do it in that guy's voice.

hahaha ok

EDIT: since this is kind of a pointless post--U-turn is better in case the alakazam is sashed (it probably will) and to gain some momentum, although it kind of changes nothing now...

Back
Top Bottom