• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What really annoys you about the Pokemon Anime?

I see... isn't that a little cruel, really? Using a synonym for homosexual to mean all manner of negative things? Sorta implies that being homosexual is a bad thing.

Almost everybody I know uses 'gay' in place of stupid.

I've done it on occasion, but I have nothing against homosexuality or anything like that. People around here too, (my school, blah), just use it like it means stupid or something negative. Sure, it does sorta imply that sexuality is a bad thing, but I take no offense to it. (Obviously, because if I say that, I don't. I'd be offending myself D:)

What annoys me about the anime? Hm... I haven't watched it in like, years, besides the occasional random episode, but somehow the new episodes I've seen don't feel... relevant. That's probably just because I don't watch it enough to give a rip about the secondary characters. I do like the guy that dresses up like a Cacturne, however. He seems like a cool dude.
Besides that, hasn't Ash started fresh (except for Pikachu) for the past couple seasons, leaving all of his Pokemon behind? It really makes the show feel like an advertisement vehicle (who am I kidding? Of course it is) for all the new games and Pokemon, sucking out all the personality and sentimental attachment between Ash and his previous partners.
And then there's the nitpicky things, like Brock being all "I'm a Pokemon breeder!"(he still does that, right?) and yet... what can he do? Cook food? Take care of babies? Okay. Sad thing is he's probably my favorite out of the... well, it's not a trio anymore, is it? Dubbing, animation, voices, unrealistic situations... I mean, really, I've always thought of the anime to be the more realistic between the games and the anime, until Pikachu started pwning everything. And that Buneary-using-ice-beam thing I read about a couple pages back. Sure, it can learn it, but it's still weird (unless a TM was used on it and I don't know about it, which is a likely possibility- I hope) And so were the other ones using Ice Beam the guy talked about. It's just weird.

Almost everybody I know uses 'gay' in place of stupid.

I've done it on occasion, but I have nothing against homosexuality or anything like that. People around here too, (my school, blah), just use it like it means stupid or something negative. Sure, it does sorta imply that sexuality is a bad thing, but I take no offense to it. (Obviously, because if I say that, I don't. I'd be offending myself D:)

Well, yeah, it happens a lot here, too, but I've just never understood how it's an insulting term, really.

In any case, I'll stop being all off-topic now.

I see... isn't that a little cruel, really? Using a synonym for homosexual to mean all manner of negative things? Sorta implies that being homosexual is a bad thing.
Calm down, most kids our age use gay more than necessary, and that doesn't mean he's insulting the sexuality. I, disagree with people calling other people gay, but I myself say it a lot, since I'm so used to hearing it.

Anyway, back on topsik. The themes songs took a beating after, liek, the first two. The new one is horrible. D=

Y'know, recently I watched a episode of the Swedish dubbed version of the Pokémon anime, since I had nothing better to at my grandparents house, and when I think of it, it wasn't to bad. The voices were pretty good actually, and Ash actually sounded like a teenager(But I swear the same voice actor also did the voice for that robot in a third grade game a played a long time ago)

But I had two big complaints, one was that it was so obviously meant for kids, and the second was that they kept the English names of the moves, which just sounded awkward when the rest was in Swedish, otherwise it wasn't that bad. I found it fun as heck.

It's really funny at how 90% of these complaints could be fixed by a simple Japanese viewing. =/

Ok...can anyone actually explain the difference in quality between regional versions of the show?

I've heard this thousands of times on various forums discussing any cartoon from japan that gets dubbed and really I just want to know what the deal is.

90% of these complaints are voices. The Japanese voices are far less annoying. The other 10%, as Flora said, require a new anime.

90% of these complaints are voices. The Japanese voices are far less annoying. The other 10%, as Flora said, require a new anime.

Ah...the voices.

Well after baring through the sonic games current VA's, voice changes dont affect me much anymore (since they derailed Knuckles to the point of no return, a voice is nothing). For this series, the only voice I hate is Ash's. Can't stand it. Everyone else does a surprising job of emulating the previous VA's.........aside from Jessie...

What annoys me? A lot of things.
Now, I really used to love it, and in my opinion, the 1st Season was the best.

But now...the plot's really starting to get predictable. There's really no excitement. In practically every episode, the plot goes something like this: Ash and Co. are walking towards some destination, and they come across somebody, whether it's an old friend or a completely new person. Then there's some problem with Pokemon involved in it somehow, and the problem usually relates to the person they met earlier. They eventually come across Team Rocket, they say their motto, and they have some kind of machine and/or scheme to capture Pikachu. Ash and Co. defeat Team Rocket, they solve the problem, and they say their farewells to whomever they met. There are some exceptions, but pretty rarely.
Another thing that really bugs me is how Ash and his Pokemon seem to be "invincible". I mean, he rarely ever loses anymore, if ever. He almost always wins, whether it's a Gym or a trainer. His Pokemon are way too tough, and to me that seems unrealistic in Pokemon terms. Also, I find it kind of weird that they're keeping everyone the same age; Ash is always ten and so is practically everyone else that are his companions.

I'm not trying to offend any Pokemon anime fans, just stating my opinion here.

Last edited:
its got to be the new VA's. What happened? Brock sound 42, Ash lost the determined voice Veronica Taylor gave him. The only legit exuse we have is Madie Blaustein. Humph.

Another thing that really bugs me is how Ash and his Pokemon seem to be "invincible". I mean, he rarely ever loses anymore, if ever. He almost always wins, whether it's a Gym or a trainer. His Pokemon are way too tough, and to me that seems unrealistic in Pokemon terms.

Finally, someone that feels the same way about that! The not fully evolved ones almost always win! No offence, but that is very annoying to me. Don't get me wrong, I do like not fully evolved ones as well.

Last edited:
Another thing that really bugs me is how Ash and his Pokemon seem to be "invincible". I mean, he rarely ever loses anymore, if ever. He almost always wins, whether it's a Gym or a trainer. His Pokemon are way too tough, and to me that seems unrealistic in Pokemon terms.

Well...there's Paul now...

I'm not trying to offend any Pokemon anime fans, just stating my opinion here.

Eh...from what i've seen here, you've got nothing to worry about. Now if this was Bulbagarden.....

Ah! Totally forgot about Paul. Yeah, his Pokemon are too tough as well. Probably since he abandons all the weak ones.

Haha, ditto on the Bulbagarden.

Back
Top Bottom