• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Religion

Which of these best fits you?

• Theist

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Atheist

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters
Then why is the Old Testament still taught, recognized, and sold as part of the Holy Bible?

Who are you to decide which parts are no longer relevant, especially of the New Testament?

Kind of like I said, modern Christianity is largely the words and teachings of Jesus Christ. The Old Testament is largely the history behind the events leading up to the New Testament, and morally is hideously outdated (it was probably outdated for its time, by the way. Unless genocide was a popular pastime in those days...). Most Christians don't take it as a serious moral guidance (though the more assholish of them will pick and choose to argue against issues like Gay Rights and such)

This being said, I am not a Christian and most likely never will be. I just stopped being all "ARG CHRISTIANITY BAD GRR" so much. I don't really defend the religion, but as it harm none, do as ye wilt, blah blah blah...

Mildly atheist; prone to accepting buddhist worldviews. I'm not really closed to the general idea of higher powers, but I default to assuming there's nothing.

Buddhism's a really attractive philosophy "family of beliefs and practices considered by most to be a religion." I used to read about it quite frequently, but lately I've been more apathetic.

my gma is christian and everyone expects me to be too..im not baptized yet but I don't wanna be..

Then why is the Old Testament still taught, recognized, and sold as part of the Holy Bible?

See, you can't say "this is what Christians believe" much beyond the whole belief in God/Christ thing. Assuming all people who follow the Bible belive exactly the same thing is stupid; look what disagreements over small differences has done in Ireland, for god's sake.
Fundamentalists do believe that the OT is a very important and relevant part of scripture, to the point of accepting evolution as fact, while other branches accept that the OT was written for a different time period, and some of the things that were socially acceptable back in th' day (like treating women as property) probably shouldn't be practiced today.
And you've got the really liberal churches, whose only real requirement is "treat others as you would want to be treated" and even, in some cases where they feel that even that needs a social update, "treat others as they want to be treated".

And loads of Bibles miss out the OT anyways, and are just published with the NT and Psalms.

Well, this knocks out all Bible-following religions, so...

Most (religious) people I know take this more spiritually than physically. Since it also says that there's God in all of us, so.

Also since I insist on posting here I'm atheist, raised Jewish.

I thought only shellfish was evil. Oh yes and pork of course.

And yeah sorry 'bout that, was having a shitty day and didn't think before posting.

Feh, I wasn't really raised as anything much - I don't think any of my family is religious in any way except for my great-grandparents. I don't really mind religion that much at all - I simply do not care if so-and-so is Christian/whatever and I really, really hate it when people hate on or make fun of people's religions for no other reason than they dislike it. I figure if you don't like religion then fine - don't be religious. I really don't see the point of arguing with someone about their religion as if it would somehow change their mind about their lifelong philosophy.

VPLJ said:
This reminds me of this guy at school; he's my age and he's Jewish. One time we saw him eating a ham sandwich and asked him about it, and he told us that 'sometimes it's okay'.

Last edited:

And yeah sorry 'bout that, was having a shitty day and didn't think before posting.

Yeah no that was a general shitty monday. I think we all kinda felt like ass.

violet it's not his fault it's delicious

I think in the Bible it says that everything that swims but doesn't have fins is unclean, so surely that's just fish. =/
The actual passage is as follows (excuse the simple language, I have a sort of retardo version of the Bible):
Le. 11:9-12 'Of all the creatures living in the waters of the seas and streams, you may eat any that have fins and scales.
But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins or scales - whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water - you are to detest. And since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat and you must detest their carcasses. Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is to be detestable to you.'

So yeah things like lobster and prawn are verbotten. I wonder if this applies to eels and catfish and such since they do have fins but no scales (or very, very small ones embedded in their skin).

There are obviously many things in Judeo-Christian belief that would either be a pain in the ass to follow, like the whole COMPLETELY KOSHER things, or burning bulls at the altar, or pretty damn repulsive by today's standards, like slavery or the completely terrible treatment of women.
I always have to admit I kind of look up to those really strict Jews who never eat anything non-kosher ever because Christ, it's a job and a half. Lots of Jews just eat kosher at home and then don't bother when they go out.
Things like circumcision, on the other hand, are good for hygiene, look nicer and increase your pleasure during sex despite being a bit creepy, so hats off to you guys for inventing it.

My favourite tradition is probably the one that's like 'if you accidentally add one drop of blood to your food you can still eat it as long as you add 59 of the same food to your food to cancel out the uncleanliness i.e. if you're making an omlet and an egg has a blood spot just add 59 more eggs'

Back
Top Bottom