• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers

U-um.... H-hello everyone! I just joined on Kai-Lucifer's recommendation.
S-so, uh... I'm ninjar-pirate/Charley/ninjar/pirate/NP/Ninpin....Well lets leave it at that, I have too many nicknames... O uO;;
Um, as a reference, there's my current DA ID below...

da_id___cid_cuddles_by_ninjar_pirate-d31d5rr.png

And then an actual photo for proper reference... though I always draw my hair wrong because I suck.

LOL it's like an IRL of my ID

So...
yeah, hi!!

Last edited:
Welcome Ninjar! I think you look nice. :3 GLASSES GIRLS UNIIITTTE!

I also like your ID! It's cute, ahaha. And the shading is so crisp on the hair and realistic. I like your style thus far.

I definitely think I'm going to like it here!!

Blastoise said:
You look kinda like a girl at my school!

Welcome.
I don't go to school anymore - I was in 6th Form, but I quit. > u<;;
Nice to meet you!

Arylett Dawnsborough said:
Welcome Ninjar! I think you look nice. :3 GLASSES GIRLS UNIIITTTE!

I also like your ID! It's cute, ahaha. And the shading is so crisp on the hair and realistic. I like your style thus far.

Yes! Megane, ftw!
Thank-you! My chibi style is not as polished as my main style, so I'm still playing about with colouring styles. Aaaand I just noticed I forgot to shade the skin. Oops.

I definitely think I'm going to like it here!!
Oh believe me, you will~

To raise a topic of conversation, how would you describe your personal art style?
I'd say that mine probably takes as much from anime/manga as it does from Dannichu, just a lot slower and perhaps a bit better in anatomy, heh~

Also, how much would you say your art has improved over the last few years? Personally, I can see a huge improvement in my own work and I'm rather proud of what I'm currently doing. I'm sure that the same could be said for everyone, though.

One last note, the last drawings needed for the meme are Vlad's, Cheatmaster's and BRCB's. Please get them done soon~

My drawings tend to be sketchy, and later I outline in permanent marker. Then the drawing goes missing for a while.

Oh believe me, you will~

To raise a topic of conversation, how would you describe your personal art style?
I'd say that mine probably takes as much from anime/manga as it does from Dannichu, just a lot slower and perhaps a bit better in anatomy, heh~

Also, how much would you say your art has improved over the last few years? Personally, I can see a huge improvement in my own work and I'm rather proud of what I'm currently doing. I'm sure that the same could be said for everyone, though.

One last note, the last drawings needed for the meme are Vlad's, Cheatmaster's and BRCB's. Please get them done soon~
My style is... well, I try to be... pseudo-realistic with some cartoonish traits and stylization put in. Someone told me that my style was sort of realistic. Except I fail at it significantly more than Blazhy. I think they're kinda right. Particularly my humans. My non-humans are less so... but I'm not really sure how to describe it. Lots of anatomy fail in humans really. My style isn't something I can really compare to other peoples' styles because I haven't really seen a lot like it. At least, I don't think. I'm not sure, I can't describe my own style probably because it's mine. I guess it's just... Arylett-style.

As for the last question... I think I've improved bounds and loads since I started drawing humans. They helped me a lot with everything. Even though I still... am rather limited in my drawings... and fail horrendously at dynamic poses and movement. At least they look nicer, though, and better proportioned with better colours... still could use a lot of work though.

I guess I learned a lot of anatomy and stuff from a book I got once from a library. Other than that, I guess my 'style' is kind of... traditional western? I mean, my eyes are anime-ish but other than that I don't do a lot of spiky hair or, ermm, spiky hair.

My digital style keeps veering around wildly like a dog at a Drop Food on the Floor contest, though!

I think online artists tend to overemphasize the importance of style. Really, seriously, it isn't what you think it is. Professional artists work years at developing their styles, and often have multiple styles which they use at different times for different reasons, or work on new ones because they tire of the old ones. (Think of pointillism or cubism etc. or extreme styles like Van Gogh's colours or Picasso in general; Picasso is actually the perfect example because he worked through so many styles.) Online people tend to think 'OMG I MUST HAVE A STYLE OR I AM NOT A PERSON!!!' which is just ridiculous. :|

Personally I don't think I have a set style. I draw whatever I want to however I want to. If I want to draw something very cartoony, I do, and if I want to draw something realistic, I do. Yep.

Like Arylett, I draw in a pseudo-realistic style. I focus mainly on colour and texture, but I'm trying to learn anatomy now.

About improvement... well, suffice to say that I cringe when I look back in my dA gallery xD; I have a ways to go but I'm very satisfied with my progress!

Oh man, I have no idea what my 'style' would be classed as. I agree with Pentimento, though. My chibi style tends to be big eyes, and cuteness all around, yet my regular style is... I don't know, I guess semi-realistic? I try to draw with a basic knowledge of anatomy (but sometimes that fails) and then I try to... I don't know, elongate it a little? I just like how it looks, that's all. @ u@;;

Oh man, improvement wise... I came across some old school books from when I was about 11-12. The stuff in there made me want to cry!! I'm so glad I looked up human anatomy and drawing it at 15!!

:| Knowledge of anatomy isn't part of one's style. That's like saying knowledge of grammar is part of your writing style.

Not a part of one's style, no, but having a grasp of it will allow you to create a style for yourself. That was the point I was trying to make, sorry if it wasn't clear!

Hai Ninjar :o

Uhh, style? I take inspiration from anime, but I try not to let it dominate too much. The closest thing to compare it to would be Death Note, I guess, because it's clearly still manga style but of a more realistic variety.

And ugh oh god improvement.
I get this the worst because I draw an on-going comic meaning I can't just bury the older stuff for no-one else to see because it's essential for the story ;_;
Arghhh, why couldn't I have waited till I could draw properly to start it D:

I guess my style is like a mix between anime and cartoony. I don't draw those giant stereotypical anime eyes, but my style is and always has been influenced by anime. I've recently tried to take on a more cartoony style, but I just can't get out of the drawing style that's been cemented in my brain for the past 10 years :| I think I have improved over the years with developing a style that's less generic but my anatomy and shading techniques are still pretty crap. I have been practicing though, but the fact that I have no confidence in my art and I hate everything I draw is probably a huge problem and whats hidering me from improving. Curse you over critical mind! XD

Anyway, I did get around to finishing that picture. I attempted to fix Denmark's face and expression (editing everything else would have been too hard with the amount that I had to redraw and recolour) but I think i made it worse :x
Here.

And welcome Ninjar-pirate! Your art style is very cute :)

Euh, I try to be realistic-cartoonish. I try anime every once and a while. I don't really have a set style - I'm always trying out something else. I use the Chibi Style every once and a while, but I never just stick with it. I'm sort of a mixture, you could say?

My style would be... cartoonish with a touch of anime? I drew anime before, and though it's gradually turning more cartoonish, I still have kept some of the style from it... though much better than some years ago, I think. I looked at pictures from... liek a year ago and had to lol at the horribleness.

I tried to make my style more.... stylistic, I suppose you could say that, but it failed epically and now it's just some sort of very simplistic, cartoonish, thing. I mean, it's not even anime-style because my art-style is too simple and chibi-like, even though I can't actually draw chibis.

:/ I dunno either.

Just to think, the only reason I started drawing humans was due to this club!

Back
Top Bottom