• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

R/B/Y Twitch Plays Pokémon

Murkrow

Says "also" and "or something" a lot
Pronoun
he
Twitch Plays Pokémon

Link

Basically people type the name of a button in the chat. The game does what the chat says. There are currently 20,000 people watching. They've been stuck on the route leading to Rock Tunnel for ages.

No idea how they pressed both switches in Lt. Surge's gym. No idea how any Pokémon evolved without trolls pressing B.

Re: Twitch Plays Pokémon

I have no idea how they'll get to Rock Tunnel :( There are way too many people pressing down. Also, people are having a really hard time convincing others that they already beat Misty and so there's no need to go backward, so it seems like about half of the group is usually trying to get back to Cerulean.

Also, there's a GIF on the Reddit thread (warning: Reddit. I didn't see any bad things but it's still Reddit.), and apparently the two trash cans spawned together on the right one of the times, so they got them both. Also, apparently they actually did the trash can puzzle twice because they lost to Lt. Surge the first time.

I tried to play, but every time I talk the chat disconnects me, and it doesn't send my message when this happens. I tried connecting through IRC, too, but it didn't make a difference. It miiight be because there are so many people online? A couple of threads I found about the problem suggested that.

I was wondering about how things evolved, too! I haven't seen anyone discussing that.

Oh, and here's a map of where they're trying to go right now in case anyone's confused. People link to it in the chat all the time, but it's really difficult to manage to click on any links when ~12,000 people are talking (There are like ~25,000 viewers but according to IRC only half of them are in the chat).

It's practically impossible to get down that Route with the lag, but they've proven me wrong quite a bit so far. It will be interesting to see how they manage the Safari Zone, with limited steps and limited money, while also needing to grab Surf. That's assuming they make it there.

It's practically impossible to get down that Route with the lag, but they've proven me wrong quite a bit so far. It will be interesting to see how they manage the Safari Zone, with limited steps and limited money, while also needing to grab Surf. That's assuming they make it there.

Darn I didn't think about limited money. I knew the steps would be a problem.
Though if you press up enough in the gate when you don't have any money, don't they let you through for free with only one ball?

I have no idea how they'll get to Rock Tunnel :( There are way too many people pressing down. Also, people are having a really hard time convincing others that they already beat Misty and so there's no need to go backward, so it seems like about half of the group is usually trying to get back to Cerulean.

Really? I don't see why people would think that since you need the Cerulean gym badge to use Cut don't you?

Also, there's a GIF on the Reddit thread (warning: Reddit. I didn't see any bad things but it's still Reddit.), and apparently the two trash cans spawned together on the right one of the times, so they got them both. Also, apparently they actually did the trash can puzzle twice because they lost to Lt. Surge the first time.

The switches do always spawn next to each other, I was just surprised they didn't walk away from the first switch to press a completely random other bin somewhere else.
(It's mainly the comments that are bad on reddit, and they're not usually as bad in places that only have 1000 members)

Apparently another group is using the same inputs for Tetris? You can watch Tetris and Pokemon at the same time. Also there's discussion about Pokemon there that actually works. And they linked to some statistics - maybe someone will find those interesting.

It's hilarious. They won't get halfway to Celadon, with half the people on there trolling.

http://www.reddit.com/r/twitchplayspokemon/comments/1xznfs/some1_else_will_take_care_of_right_what_we_need/

someone on Reddit said:
The problem is the 20 second lag, not trolling. When stuck in the bottom right corner here, people start typing in left. At this point, some people are predicting the lefts and start typing up. So they go all the way to the left and get stuck in the top left corner down below around here. Right here, people start typing in right, so we overshoot the stairway sometimes.

If we do make it up the stairways, we usually overshoot because of all the ups all the way up to here. At this point, some people start typing down and others start typing right because they're predicting down.

So if we do somehow manage to get onto the ledge here, the 20 second delay means that the rest of the people typing down earlier in the last spot now come into effect and we jump down the ledge. Failure

TL;DR There is no winning here. Not trolls. Mob psychology. gg no re

Sorry that the "here" links are broken in my quote.

Really? I don't see why people would think that since you need the Cerulean gym badge to use Cut don't you?

I guess they don't realize that. People keep posting stuff like "YOU NEED TO BEAT MISTY TO EVEN GET HERE" but tons of quits+joins plus the super-fast channel make that not help much. Also sometimes people open up the badge case but everyone seems to ignore it?

The switches do always spawn next to each other, I was just surprised they didn't walk away from the first switch to press a completely random other bin somewhere else.

Oh, I see! They did that a whole bunch of times, but it's just a matter of finally getting lucky enough not to.

I love this. It's being super-boring at the moment (they're trying to get past the Route 9 ledge for the second time), but I just love this conceptually. I love that it works. The mob is biased enough towards making progress that despite everything, they do. Very slowly. I want to read something positive about humanity out of this but I'm not entirely sure what.

No idea how any Pokémon evolved without trolls pressing B.
The video is about thirty seconds behind the chat. Apparently there was a huge wave of B when people realized something was evolving, but it was too late. Plus there were a lot fewer people participating then; I super-doubt that anything's going to be able to evolve now.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that nothing evolving ever would be the only downside if the delay disappeared. Troublemakers mostly just spam unhelpful buttons; they don't need to coordinate the way the part of the mob that's actually playing does. Evolution's the only thing I can think of where a single troll can mess it up — that and the Route 9 ledge, I guess, but there's no chance of the trolls not seeing that coming like with evolution. (I'm really amazed that it only took most of a day before they managed to get past it once.)

It will be interesting to see how they manage the Safari Zone, with limited steps and limited money, while also needing to grab Surf. That's assuming they make it there.
Ohhhh man I hadn't thought of that. Even if they had infinite tries, would that ever be possible with this many people, or is interest going to have to die down until there are just a few people left? I wonder how few it would have to be? This is so exciting omg.

Please tell me this will end up on Youtube or something after it's over.

lmao the final video is going to be like several weeks long. I do know Twitch saves video, but I'm not sure how much — you can already go back and watch earlier in the stream, but they don't seem to have anything from before Cerulean. (The stuff in the highlights tab might also be worth checking out.)

Last edited:

I finally got a good look at the options screen and saw they're playing "Set" style. Probably makes it quite a bit more interesting for them, especially those who have only played in Shift/Switch style.

They end up scrambling the options pretty often. They're playing set style right now, but I'm pretty sure I've witnessed them battle on switch style before. (It probably just slows them down, because on top of meaning one more menu to navigate, chances are that if they just KO'd something, they were using Pidgeotto or ABBBBBBK( and are about to switch to something less good.)

tHEY MADE IT PAST THE LEDGE
I WAS WATCHING FOR THE WHOLE THING HOLY SHIT I CAUGHT THE LEDGE SUCCESS

and then promptly went down the little ledge not far past. Well damn

AND THEN THEY DID IT AGAIN??? THEY GET STUCK HERE FOR LIKE FOURTEEN HOURS AND THEN MANAGE THE LEDGE TWICE IN FIVE MINUTES WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

I made a bet with a friend that I wouldn't sleep until they got past the ledge, so I'm very, very, very relieved. Watching them battle is just as infuriating.

So, they've got a Pidgeot now after all, but apparently that only happened because the chat lagged out at the right time. I wonder if that's the truth, or if the stream runner meddled with it. :T Either way, I actually thought for a moment that the trolls actually shut up for long enough to let it evolve, and finding out what actually happened was a total letdown.

So, they've got a Pidgeot now after all, but apparently that only happened because the chat lagged out at the right time. I wonder if that's the truth, or if the stream runner meddled with it. :T Either way, I actually thought for a moment that the trolls actually shut up for long enough to let it evolve, and finding out what actually happened was a total letdown.

I saw a savestate the moment that finished.

This is so frustrating to watch but funny as hell. At time of writing, they're in Celadon City trying to cut the bush to Erika's gym. Someone joked about cutting Erika's bush, and I know it's immature, but it cracked me up. :P

There also seems to be a few in-jokes attached to it now about the Helix fossil and stuff, it's pretty fun.

I went to bed around eight and a half hours ago. At the time, the people seemed split between: making it to Saffron City, going to Lavender Town (forgetting we had lost all our Poké Dolls), and going back to Celadon. I see that a few hours later, they made it to Saffron. What I don't get is what's happened since then. ABBBBBBK( and Jay Leno were released, and Pidgeot accidentally deposited, but why were they so insistent on doing something with the PC that that happened? Were they trying to free up a spot for Lapras? If so, why does it appear now that they've somehow managed to catch an Oddish? Why are they seemingly wandering around in the grass outside Celadon? Anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom