• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

2012: Doom year? O_O

2012 = Doomsday?

• Yes...and we must fear it!

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I think that it's possible

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • I'm very skeptical about it...

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Hell no

Votes: 52 57.8%

• Total voters
That's not going to happen either.

Nothing's going to happen.

ETA: Look, it's fun to believe that there are ancient conspiracies and other paranormal stuff, but if we're being serious, this is all just ridiculous.

Any proof that the sun isn't going to switch poles? I'm pretty sure NASA has worked it out with all of their satellites and whatnot.

I didn't say the Mayans predicted the sun would switch poles. I don't even think they knew anything about magnetic poles back then. But you never know...

I fixed it, lol.
Just because all of the main things happen in England, it doesn't mean that it's ONLY in England. I think some athletes are going to prepare for some events in the Millennium Stadium, and that isn't in England.

Although I highly doubt England will thank us Cardiffians for letting them use it. D:<

It's when the ancient Mayans predicted the world will end, for those of you who don't know.

The apparent doom date 21/12/12 is the same day that the sun switches it's magnetic poles as well. (I think)
Uh, it does that every eleven years. Hasn't made the world end yet; in fact, from our point of view the solar cycle mostly manifests itself in variations in the number of sunspots and the intensity of the northern (and southern) lights.

This, my friends, is a stellar example of just how much doomsday theories fail when confronted with somebody who actually knows something about whichever field of science is being raped for pseudoproof. And I took a course about the solar system for one semester; I believe this came up within the first couple of weeks and sprouted some nice discussion about how pretty the northern lights were in 2003.

Fail, guys. Fail.

(Not to mention that it's a cycle, not a one-day occurrence; the next high in sunspots will probably occur around 2012-2013, but one particular day when the poles suddenly reverse? Uh, no. Sorry.)

Last edited:

I knew that there was something wrong with something that I was saying, so thanks for telling me. Although the cycle would be happening sometime around that apparent date, right?

Every 11 years?
I wonder why the sun switches more often than the Earth.

I've said this a few times, but feel like repeating it here:

If someone ever predicts the end of the world, you should tell them they're stupid and wrong. That way, you get to rub it in their faces if you're right, and you'll both be too dead to care if they're right. Flawless logic :3

Offtopic, but crazy suicide cults who think that if they kill themselves that they'll evolve into gods use the same logic. xD.

Although I agree.

Last edited:
http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=74463

^ 7 Reasons to belive 2012. >:D Just to make everyone's day happier.

3. The Atom Smasher

Scientists in Europe have been building the world's largest particle accelerator. Basically its a 27km tunnel designed to smash atoms together to find out what makes the Universe tick. However, the mega-gadget has caused serious concern, with some scientists suggesting that it's properly even a bad idea to turn it on in the first place. They're predicting all manner of deadly results, including mini black holes. So when this machine is fired up for its first serious experiment in 2012, the world could be crushed into a super-dense blob the size of a basketball.

except that it's been operating for a month or so now and will commence first serious use on the 28th this month.

edit: also yellowstone haha no one has a clue when or if it will go off. this list sure is well researched (also yellowstone would take out North America, sure, but hardly the world)

Ditto on Shadow Lucario's post. I hope the world doesn't end. I'm very skeptical, but the magnetic pole switch seems like something pretty big.
EDIT: After reading Butterfree's post, I realize that this can't be possible. So I don't believe it at all.

I think the world will end when TCoD goes down forever.

I don't believe the Mayan stuff. I mean, 2012? It's a calendar.

Those 7 reasons to believe 2012 were really silly. Half of them were like "this thing is 50,000 years overdue so it will probably happen in 2012!!"

Nothing will happen. A few people might go crazy on the day, though.

Scientists used the pyramid to predict that the world will end in 2979.

A civilization that worshipped cats HAS to be right!!!*shot*

Haha, no really. Even if there is a doomsday, what can we do? I say BRING IT.

According to my mom, the mayan calendar ends on Dec. 21, 2012, at 7:15, which happens to be the exact date and time I will turn 21. Although it is true, it's a good joke for me, so as part of that joke I voted "Yes...and we must fear it!" but I honestly don't think it's going to happen. That said, it's an insane coincidence.

Why would a calender end at a certain TIME? Calenders tell dates. I bet your mom's making it up, although I might be wrong.

If she isn't, you would be like THIS CLOSE to be able to drink beer except then the world implodes :(

I don't really think anything's going to happen. But if something does, then I think it won't be the end of the world, but just something that if somehow ancient prophets glimpsed would look like the end of the world. Like a abnormally bright meteor shower or something.

Although I have heard several times that some scientists say we're overdue for a pole switch.

Why would a calender end at a certain TIME? Calenders tell dates. I bet your mom's making it up, although I might be wrong.

If she isn't, you would be like THIS CLOSE to be able to drink beer except then the world implodes :(

Our calendar tells dates. iirc the Mayan calender was based off of the sun and stars etc. It wouldn't make much sense for it to fit exactly with our day/night cycle.
But I do agree that it wouldn't show the exact time I mean clocks that we have now don't tell the time exactly right, even the best atomic ones go off about a second every billion years or so, so how would a civilization without technology be able to tell a future time so accurately. I need to make my sentences shorter.

The only reason I'm posting so much here is because I love to read people's opinions on crazy conspiracy/doomsday theories. (more so than the theories themselves)

What makes you think that somehow, an ancient civilization with no access to technology at all could accurately predict the end of the world, while we, who have figured out all sorts of things using science and computers, can't?
Anyone who's watched any episode of Stargate knows that ancient civilizations had the most advanced technology there is.

Back
Top Bottom