• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abortion

One word: ABSTINENCE!!!

If you want to abort your child, go ahead. If you abort it before it is three months into development, then there is nothing wrong because there is no conscious. But after that, I wouldn't want to live with that on my shoulders. And if rape is involved, then by all means get that b******'s seed out of you. Ugh. *shivers*

One word: ABSTINENCE!!!
What's wrong with having sex?
Are you saying that it should only be for those who want children?

If you want to abort your child, go ahead. If you abort it before it is three months into development, then there is nothing wrong because there is no conscious.
Cows are conscious.
Should we stop eating hamburgers because we're killing something conscious?

But after that, I wouldn't want to live with that on my shoulders.
Well some other people wouldn't mind.
Why should you decide for other people?

And if rape is involved, then by all means get that b******'s seed out of you. Ugh. *shivers*
Is a rapist's fetus different than a regular one, aside from genes?

Cows are conscious.
Some people think we should so that was kind of a dumb point.

Well some other people wouldn't mind.
No no no, it's not really a walk in the park for the women who have the abortion. Many mind dreadfully.

Some people think gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, so arguments against it are dumb points.
Some people think abortion shouldn't be allowed, so arguments against it are dumb points.
Some people think religion tied with government shouldn't be allowed, so arguments against it are dumb points.
No no no, it's not really a walk in the park for the women who have the abortion. Many mind dreadfully.
But should we have a group of people decide for those women who don't mind?

Some people think gay marriage shouldn't be allowed, so arguments against it are dumb points.
Some people think abortion shouldn't be allowed, so arguments against it are dumb points.
Some people think religion tied with government shouldn't be allowed, so arguments against it are dumb points.
That's not what I said.

But should we have a group of people decide for those women who don't mind?
I'm talking about women who have an abortion and are pro-choice and all. The way you worded it made it seem that no pro-choice woman getting an abortion gave half a shit about it. Lots of women find it a very traumatic experience.

Oh and I'm pro-choice too so you don't have to get all high and mighty on me tyia

That's very clearly what you said; maybe not so much what you meant.

I'm talking about women who have an abortion and are pro-choice and all. The way you worded it made it seem that no pro-choice woman getting an abortion gave half a shit about it. Lots of women find it a very traumatic experience.

Oh and I'm pro-choice too so you don't have to get all high and mighty on me tyia

I know that people are concerned about getting abortions.
Though I guess my lack of emotions is getting in the way of my arguments (which I find ironic, usually it's the opposite); I would have the cleanest conscious in the world if I had an abortion (of course that assumes I magically turn female).

That's very clearly what you said; maybe not so much what you meant.

Actually, no. Let's look at the quotes in question:

The first quote is straightforward. The next two are important. In the second, VPLJ "that" refers to your first point, ie. Quote #1. In Quote #3, you're using this structure:

Some people think x shouldn't be allowed, so arguments against it [not allowing x, ie. arguments for allowing it] are dumb points.

This is not the same thing that VPLJ said in Quote #2, however. Leaving aside that no one mention not being allowed to it hamburgers, but merely not eating them, there is this point. You seem to think VPLJ is saying

Some people think eating hamburgers shouldn't be allowed, therefore arguments against it [arguments against not eating hamburgers, that is] are dumb.

This only holds, however if the "that" in Quote #2 is an argument against not eating hamburgers; since it refers to Quote #1 (or, rather, the first part of Quote #2 in which VPLJ states that some people think we should, in reference to Quote #1), this is clearly not the point; indeed, the contrary is true.

There's also the fact that you used terrible examples which aren't equivalent at all, that I suspect VPLJ's initial points referred more to the contrary nature of Quote #1, which seemed to be asking a rhetorical question to which you assumed the answer was "no"; VPLJ merely pointed out that many people would answer "yes". This being the argument on which your statement rested, it was therefore rendered void.

QED.

thanks for clearing that up, opal.

anyway, i'll try to rephrase that:

Flies are conscious.
Should we make slapping flies illegal because it's also killing?

It should be legal pretty much anywhere, didn't a lot of women, (a while back), give themselves abortions with unsanitized tools/equipment, or something..
(which was really bad for their health.)

Take away abortion and expect this trend to start up again.

Not 'a while ago', in Portugal women had to do this up to last year. They really used to shove wires or coathangers up there to puncture the womb and get the fetus out while risking their life or health.
Then some doctors did something totally badass: thy stood up to The Man in their own special way. If a woman was pregnant and heard about these dcotors, she could ask for their help and they'd all get in a little boat, load it with all the necessary equipment and supplies and then they'd sail into Spanish or open waters and perform the abortion there.
I mean it's horrible that they had to resort to this but damn if it isn't hardcore.

It's either allow the abortion, or women will find a way. The rich will be able to travel overseas or pay doctors to do their surgery. Those who can't afford such treatments will pay hack doctors or get a coathanger wire to do it themselves. Endangering themselves in the process.

I'm pro-choice because I'd rather have the option openly available, then end up doing one of the above that applies to the less wealthy. In the end, it'd just create a blackmarket in abortions, with the more wealthy getting theirs professionally and the less wealthy having to take the back door.

Or you'd find a lot more babies abandoned on doorsteps, offloaded onto family members or leaving in homes where they feel unwanted.

get a coathanger wire to do it themselves.

I'm trying not to envision how exactly this would be achieved. XD

But all good points well made, Milla. In some ways abortion is the lesser evil, and if it were banned it probably wouldn't stop a single abortion, and instead just create more and more criminals and cause people to harm themselves getting one through unorthodox, illegal means. Favourable by far to this would be better sex ed to cut down on unwanted pregnancies. (For instance, put everyone through that which I received, i.e. watching the same video about some guy with AIDS telling you to use a condom year after year. Not only will the idea of contraception and safe sex be drilled into them, but by the end they won't have been taught anything else, and most likely will barely know what sex is.)

The stuff in brackets didn't count, before anyone says what a crap idea it is. I know. =)

I have to admit, my sex ed lessons didn't exist. It was more biology then how not to get pregnant/get STIs. Without my family's openness on the subject, I'd have a lot of questions concerning safe sex. Luckily for me they had answers ^_^

Several girls from my school have ended up pregnant. From what I know, most are keeping their babies. Hell, one girl posted up her baby scans onto Facebook, Myspace, Bebo etc. But that's a whole different topic on how cheap that is ><'''

I have to admit, my sex ed lessons didn't exist. It was more biology then how not to get pregnant/get STIs. Without my family's openness on the subject, I'd have a lot of questions concerning safe sex. Luckily for me they had answers ^_^
I, however, was once sent out of the room when someone on TV said "hanky panky". At the age of about 12/13. XD [/offtopic]

Several girls from my school have ended up pregnant. From what I know, most are keeping their babies. Hell, one girl posted up her baby scans onto Facebook, Myspace, Bebo etc. But that's a whole different topic on how cheap that is ><'''

You only hear about the ones who keep it, though. There are many, many more that have abortions and just never talk about it.

I'm trying not to envision how exactly this would be achieved. XD
They shove the bendy end of the coat-hanger in their genitals and try to pierce the womb.

When abortion was still illegal in Portugal, lots of women had to do this, and suffer horribly, often getting infections and/or ending up dead. Eventually there was that story with the doctors and the boat that's pretty
emotunsmithjp4.gif
but other than that countries without abortion are depressing as hell in that aspect.
And yeah, you never know when a girl may have had an abortion if she had it early in the fetus' developing process.

I agree muchly with Dark Shocktail and Mike. The absolute best way to cut down on the number of abortions needed is to help more sexually active people (mostly teenagers) not get pregnant.

As I've rambled about before, the US has nearly double the rate of teen pregnancies compared to the Uk, which has the highest rate in Europe. Why? I think it's the embarassment about telling kids about sex (which is much less prevelant in most of Europe: hey guys - teenagers are going to have sex. You might as well tell them how to protect themselves) coupled with ludicrous sex ed programmes like "abstinance only".

And better healthcare. In the UK, clinics visits are free, condoms are free and readily available to whoever wants them, doctor's appointments/consultations are free and the contraceptive pill is free, and it's all completely confidential. Honestly, I think abortion rates would drop significantly if options like these were made available to everyone in the US.

Back
Top Bottom