• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Am I the only one who would rather play portable games?

nothing to see here

...probably not posting here too much anymore.
Pronoun
he/him
Am I the only one who would rather play video games on portable systems rather than consoles? Especially longer games with more of a storyline.

It always bugs me when people whine about how a DS/PSP game isn't being made for the PS2/PS3/360/Wii/etc. instead. I can't figure out where this crap is coming from, either--the GBA and DS are easily the best systems for portable games ever (can't comment on the PSP as I've never had one), and yet people still go "waaaah! portable bad!" whenever a game they might want to buy is announced as a GBA/DS/PSP game instead of a console game.

I honestly can't think of any reason why I'd ever want to play a game on a home console instead of my DS now, other than the obvious "(insert game here) is only available on (insert console here)."

To play console games, I'd have to sit on the couch or on the floor in front of the TV. Sitting on the floor gets uncomfortable fast, and the couch is pretty far away from the screen (which isn't a problem with the Wii's wireless controllers, but would be a pain if I ever decided to get any other console.) It also means that if other people want to watch TV while you're playing, you'd better have multiple TVs... and even then you have the game and the TV going at the same time, which can be a bit distracting.

Another thing: pretty much all console games are 3D now, which annoys me--though the Wii/360/PS3's capabilities mean that they can finally make 3D that doesn't look like shit, I'd still rather have well-drawn 2D graphics any day. There's just something about the graphical style of most 3D games that just looks off somehow.
Pretty much the only system I know of that still gets a lot of 2D games these days is the DS (aside from the downloadable games on the consoles, but... I'm stuck with crappy dial-up. So I can't even download them in the first place.)

Also, if you need to get out of the game and do something else, trying to rush and find a place to save the game (especially in RPGs and stuff like that) is a problem with consoles. You can't just pick it up and take it with you like you can with a DS or any other portable system, so you end up having to choose between "try to find a save point and be late" or "turn the game off and lose your progress since the last save." Or "leave the game on but turn the TV off," but then there's no guarantee that someone else won't turn the system off while you're gone, mistakenly thinking that you left it on by accident.

The only thing I can think of that consoles actually do better than portables is music, and even when it comes to music there isn't really that big of a gap between them now (compared to the huge gap in sound quality between the original Gameboy and the SNES.)

Is there anyone else who actually likes portable games better than consoles? And why do people complain so much about portables? Is it just that people don't have the portable systems (which doesn't make much sense, since the portables cost less, have more games, and have been outselling the consoles in this generation), or do they have some kind of preconceived notion of "portable = bad," or what?

Last edited:
Re: Am I the only one...

For me, console or handheld doesn't matter; what matters is the game behind the console/handheld.

I actually never play console games.

Also, nothing on the major consoles appeals to me. The Wii consists of shovelware, and the PS3 and XBox are just LOLOLOL SHOOT ANYTHING THAT MOVES SUPER HARDCORE FPS WITH SOOPAH GRAFFIX

Some people need to start ignoring the "most" and looking into the "all".

Nowadays, pretty much all I play on the Wii is Guitar Hero: Metallica and Punch-Out!!. Nonetheless, IMO, these are so awesome, they're worth being the only ones. And I'm sure neither of them is at the same category as most of what is released for the Wii.

I'd be playing Brawl too, but my copy's broken beyond repair and I never got a new one.

This could apply to the PS3 and the XboX360 too; I can't say for sure, though, because I never played either, save for playing Guitar Hero 3 on a friend's house.

I feel the same way!

I have a PS2 and a Wii, but I barely ever play them. My brother's taken the Wii over, and the PS2 is in my room and is used primarily as a DVD player/dust shelf until I'm motivated enough to play FFIX or FFXII again.

I don't like having to sit on the floor craning my neck to look up at the screen. I don't like how long it takes to set home consoles up - in my case, I have to fumble through various settings on the TV, hook up controllers/nunchucks/whatever, then fumble around with CDs and their cases to get the game I want... I'd rather just be able to turn on my game and play.

Also, my favorite thing to do before bed is curl up with my DS or Micro and play until I'm sleepy (sometimes even until I'm almost nodding off as I save the game :p) and that's just hard to do with home consoles.

I can't answer for everyone who doesn't like portable consoles, but I know I have some friends who won't play a game if it doesn't have amazing graphics. I probably couldn't get them to play a DS game for very long if I tried.

Some people complain because handhelds aren't able to have excellent 3D graphics like the 360, PS3, and even the Wii have. Others complain because its a system they don't like.

As for this:

Another thing: pretty much all console games are 3D now, which annoys me--though the Wii/360/PS3's capabilities mean that they can finally make 3D that doesn't look like shit, I'd still rather have well-drawn 2D graphics any day. There's just something about the graphical style of most 3D games that just looks off somehow.

It's called Uncanny Valley(or something like that). Go Google it.

Both the Wii and the PS2 are on my brother's room, which is small, so, I've never had a problem looking at the screen. The PS2's controller wires do get messy sometimes, though.

Also, I've given up on telling people other than my brother that the games I play on the DS are good. It's not even graphics; some people can't stand a graphic novel, all they wanna do is play games packed with action.

I might need it myself.

But hell, most of them barely read the books school makes them. Let alone other books or graphic novels.

I feel pretty much the same about graphics... While I normally don't care for graphics, I absolutely love hand-drawn 2D graphics, which is why I absolutely LOVE games like BlazBlue, KOF, or Tales of Rebirth. Side note; if you want 3D that doesn't look like crap, Tekken 6 is the best.

Best form of 3D though is definitely cel-shading. It's MUCH better than hand-drawn when you're trying to get that anime, or manga look, like Tales of Vesperia (Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm was particularly excellent in that aspect), or if you just want something stylized, like Madworld, Okami, No More Heroes, or Jet Set Radio. Unfortunately, not enough games us cel-shading...

The thing with me is that if I'm home, I'm always playing one of my consoles. Be it my Xbox, Wii, PS2, Dreamcast, or Saturn, I've always got at least one of them on. If I'm gonna be going somewhere, or I just don't feel like console gaming or I'm sitting on the computer, I'll have my PSP or DS at hand, playing whatever RPG I happen to be into at the time.

Wires, cords and stuff have never really been much of a problem for me, given that I never move anything, so my room pretty much consists of a giant mass of cables coming from the bajillion game systems and controllers for them I have, and the systems themselves xD

The problem with 'longer games with more of a storyline' is that they can't make all of them longer, and more detailed on a handheld system, because of hardware constraints. Almost every RPG I've played on the DS have only been a measly 20 to 30 hours, which is a length you'd see on like, a SNES game. While I don't mind that, there's not as much content, sidequest wise as I'd like to see in RPGs these days. It's not as much of a problem on the PSP, since most PSP RPGs are about 40 or so hours, being that the system's basically a portable PS1 running on Dreamcast hardware.

Only exception I've seen to this is Tales of Hearts on the DS though. Which I suppose is basically what you seem to be wanting on a handheld system, having some really nice hand-drawn sprites, and a very good, not to mention fairly long story, especially on the DS, clocking in between 40 and 50 hours of gameplay.

Last edited:

For me, console or handheld doesn't matter; what matters is the game behind the console/handheld.

This. As long as the game is good, I'm up for it.

Though portables have one advantage you missed, their games are cheaper upon release than console games and most mainstream PC games. I used to play portable games a lot more simply because they were more affordable.

I mostly play computer games, though. I've played my DS less and less recently, partly because I have less opportunities now and partly because I got a PS2.

Best form of 3D though is definitely cel-shading. It's MUCH better than hand-drawn when you're trying to get that anime, or manga look, like Tales of Vesperia (Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm was particularly excellent in that aspect), or if you just want something stylized, like Madworld, Okami, No More Heroes, or Jet Set Radio. Unfortunately, not enough games us cel-shading...

Have to agree there. I've only played a few games that use cel-shading (most recently DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, which I mainly picked up because Gamestop had a brand new copy of it for sale for something like 15 bucks), but the cel-shaded graphics look infinitely better for anime/manga-styled games than "generic 3D" does.

Punch-Out!! uses cel-shading to achieve a cartoonish tone most of the time.

I'm sure it'd look like crap if it was "standard 3D", but, with cel-shading, it's awesome.

I'm sure it'd look like crap if it was "standard 3D", but, with cel-shading, it's awesome.

It depends. There are a few standard 3D games out there that look decent, to amazing. RE The Darkside Chronicles is looking especially nice, and Sin and Punishment 2 looks fairly decent, especially in environments and stages and the like. As I said before, Tekken 6 has to be one of the most best things I've ever seen, and it just makes everything move that much more fluidly (If that's even a word O_O)

It depends. There are a few standard 3D games out there that look decent, to amazing. RE The Darkside Chronicles is looking especially nice, and Sin and Punishment 2 looks fairly decent, especially in environments and stages and the like. As I said before, Tekken 6 has to be one of the most best things I've ever seen, and it just makes everything move that much more fluidly (If that's even a word O_O)
I've never said standard 3D tends to suck (which I don't think; GH Metallica has fairly decent graphics and has some standard 3D stuff). I was just saying it'd suck if it was used on Punch-Out!! specifically.

I'd agree with the OP. My DS has seen far more use than either of my consoles. Even when I'm at home, I'd rather be able to go around the house with a handheld than be stuck in my room lying in an uncomfortable position in front of my TV.

The other problem is saving. In my experience, most handheld games offer some form of 'quicksave' (or at least, most SRPGs/RPGs, which are the two genres that need it the most), whereas I don't think I've ever seen a console game with a quicksave feature. This means that I either have to set aside hours on end for console gaming, or be willing to accept losing progress if I need to go down for dinner or whatever and find my console switched off.

Almost every RPG I've played on the DS have only been a measly 20 to 30 hours, which is a length you'd see on like, a SNES game.
I don't consider this much of a problem. I don't play video games much, so a 20-hour RPG can easily sustain me for months. In fact, I get quite bored with games that exceed thirty hours - stuff like the Playstation Final Fantasies just drag on a little too much for my taste.

When I'm at home in my room, I'd rather be on the Internet than playing video games. I play games when I'm eating or traveling, on handheld consoles; sometimes also while at the computer, with the DS beside the keyboard on the special stand I made out of Lego. Thus, I very much agree.

Handheld systems are certainly more convenient to use, and I'd guess that I have used my DS more than my Wii, PS2, SNES or N64 all put together, but I wouldn't say I have any particular preference for the DS over them. Like others have said, if the game's good I'll play it on whatever.

which reminds me, i need to stop ignoring my wii D:

Dude, your avatar is awesome because of this. I like can't stop staring at it. Which person is it? I would pick up Punch-Out!!, but it looks a little difficult for my tastes.

Anyways, I think my time is usually decently distributed between my systems, with a little more time going towards my handhelds cause they're portable.

If I'm playing a console game, it's usually Super Smash Bros. Brawl. But that game is guaranteed awesomesauce.

Actually, on more than one occasion I've sat down with my DSi and fiddled with my music, raising/lowering the pitch and changing the speed. It is so fun for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom