• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

Brock

Hmm, yeah, that would probably work. The attack retains all qualities of the ones it comes from (so both higher crit rate and possible defense-lowering) and would have a base power of 175 with 75% accuracy.

kk. But would it change type? Like, would it be counted as Steel or Poison-type for STAB purposes.

Well, for the only Pokémon that gets Iron Fist naturally (i.e. Hitmonchan), I can't think of many better ways to use Giga Impact other than with the fists.

Also, could anything that can be used to deactivate/ignore inherent hovering by Levitate Pokémon (gastro acid, mold breaker, etc.) also be used to do the same with levitating Pokémon that hover but not because of an ability?

And if an attack mixes electricity with other forms of damage (e.g. punching, biting), would Lightningrod still draw the entire attack toward the Pokémon with the ability?

Lastly, while Solid Rock works the same way it does in the games, Filter seems to be far more efficient. Is that meant to be so?
Yes re: hovering/levitation.

For sake of convenience, lightningrod would draw the whole attack.

When I wrote the guide they were thought to have different effects, but apparently that is no longer the case. Filter is now equivalent to solid rock.

The description of Sturdy implies that you can use Explosion but still have 1% health left at the end.
sreservoir is correct. Sturdy only has an effect against actions taken by the opponent.

kk. But would it change type? Like, would it be counted as Steel or Poison-type for STAB purposes.
The "poison tail" component of the attack deals poison damage and the "iron tail" component does steel damage: they are calculated independently for the purpose of determining STAB, type effectiveness, and so on.

So... I'm a little confused I guess. Is there anything in particular you can even -do- to a phased ghost, short of a special-based sure-hit move? There are the revealing moves, but to a 'Mon that doesn't get them phasing is seeming like a sort of invariable godmode. I: The only thing I can think of is combining an ineffective sure-hit for sighting purposes, but that has the potential to drain energy levels something major and depending on the ref's combining mechanics waste a lot of turns.

I should really be seeing something I'm sure, especially with half a squad of ghosts as I tend to do, but I guess I'm not fully getting the phasing deal. This also sort of provides argument to me not liking set battles as that problem is mitigated by having available counters, while locked-in 'Mons without any particularly tracking ability get rather ganked for the opponent's cost of a fairly modest energy cost.
Still, that's barking up the suggestions thread, I feel like I'm missing something but I'm unsure..

Last edited:
If a pokémon is suffering from a status condition and then has its type changed to a type that is immune to that condition, does the condition go away?

If a Pokemon Snatches a Chill and there is a limit on Chills in the battle, does the Snatched Chill go towards the Snatcher's limit, or the original Pokemon's limit?

Edit: And can Imprison affect Chills?

Last edited:
I was just wondering. Riolu normally cannot learn Aura Sphere, but it's possible to get a special Riolu via Ranger Net that has it.

Does this make it a valid move for ASB purposes?

I was just wondering. Riolu normally cannot learn Aura Sphere, but it's possible to get a special Riolu via Ranger Net that has it.

Does this make it a valid move for ASB purposes?

I'm not sure what Ranger Net is, but if that Riolu can legally be traded/obtained in the main series (as in, not a Ranger or other spinoff game), then it should be legal in ASB also.

I'm not sure what Ranger Net is, but if that Riolu can legally be traded/obtained in the main series (as in, not a Ranger or other spinoff game), then it should be legal in ASB also.

It's a feature of Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia. You do a mission in the Ranger game, and get a Pokemon that can be transferred to the main series. I actually have one myself. looking at him right now - Aura Sphere, Shadow Claw, Drain Punch, and Bullet Punch as the moveset.

So I'm still not sure, because technically it's only possible through an event.

It's a feature of Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia. You do a mission in the Ranger game, and get a Pokemon that can be transferred to the main series. I actually have one myself. looking at him right now - Aura Sphere, Shadow Claw, Drain Punch, and Bullet Punch as the moveset.

So I'm still not sure, because technically it's only possible through an event.

What I meant was, as long as you can obtain it legally in the main series then it should be allowed in ASB (it doesn't matter how it obtains the move), so any Riolu should be able to Aura Shpere without a problem here. I'm sorry if I was unclear.

...as long as it isn't in a game that's currently japanese-only. japanese events are fair game, though. (see previous page for utter lack of detail.)

So... I'm a little confused I guess. Is there anything in particular you can even -do- to a phased ghost, short of a special-based sure-hit move? There are the revealing moves, but to a 'Mon that doesn't get them phasing is seeming like a sort of invariable godmode. I: The only thing I can think of is combining an ineffective sure-hit for sighting purposes, but that has the potential to drain energy levels something major and depending on the ref's combining mechanics waste a lot of turns.

I should really be seeing something I'm sure, especially with half a squad of ghosts as I tend to do, but I guess I'm not fully getting the phasing deal. This also sort of provides argument to me not liking set battles as that problem is mitigated by having available counters, while locked-in 'Mons without any particularly tracking ability get rather ganked for the opponent's cost of a fairly modest energy cost.
Still, that's barking up the suggestions thread, I feel like I'm missing something but I'm unsure..
Any special-based move that would damage the ghost in its normal state should still work, provided it doesn't rely on damaging body parts the ghost no longer possesses. There are many ways to reveal a hidden pokemon or figure out where it is if you can't do that.

If you knock out the opponent with Explosion, Destiny Bond, etc., do you gain experience for the kill?
Yes.

If a pokémon is suffering from a status condition and then has its type changed to a type that is immune to that condition, does the condition go away?
It would go away for as long as the pokemon remains whatever the immune type is, but if it changes into some other type later that would be susceptible to the status, it would start to feel the status' effects again. So the status isn't removed, it's just suspended (though in the case of bad poison, the poison would continue to worsen for the duration that the type-changed pokemon is poison/steel typed, although it wouldn't start dealing damage again until they changed back).

If a Pokemon Snatches a Chill and there is a limit on Chills in the battle, does the Snatched Chill go towards the Snatcher's limit, or the original Pokemon's limit?

Edit: And can Imprison affect Chills?
The snatcher and yes.

Does Explosion technically have 500 base power as it does in the games?
Yes.

What does Magnet Rise do if used by a pokemon like magnemite which is inherently hovering?
They would hover higher, but other than that nothing.

If Psych Up is used against an opponent who's Anger Point ability has activated, is the 1.5x energy consumption copied as well at the +6 attack?

Back
Top Bottom