• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

BCE/CE or BC/AD?

Which do you use?

• Total voters
I use BC. I've never used the term "AD/CE" at any point in my life and BC/BCE sound more or less identical, so...

Er, BC and AD are used in conjunction and refer to separate time frames. This year is either AD 2011 or 2011 CE. And BC and BCE sound "identical" because CE means "common era" and BCE just means "before common era". Totally simple.

I mean, I just refer to it as "2011" and not "AD 2011".

Also, am I the only person who finds it funny how everybody is rushing to switching to use BCE/CE now that they're aware of them?

It's because that one doesn't have a mythological connotation, whereas BC/AD obviously refers to Christianity

It's because that one doesn't have a mythological connotation, whereas BC/AD obviously refers to Christianity

The turning point between the two eras is still the birth of Jesus, so it's still religious.

And even then, they're so far removed from their original meaning that BC/AD are more or less secular; regardless, I find it silly that you must use the non-religious terms to refer to the year.

Not anymore, anyway.

Your point?

The turning point between the two eras is still the birth of Jesus, so it's still religious.

As Aobaru pointed out earlier, not all sources agree that that's actually true. :P

And even then, they're so far removed from their original meaning that BC/AD are more or less secular; regardless, I find it silly that you must use the non-religious terms to refer to the year.

Forgive us for wanting history to be more secular.

If only...

Actually, I'm curious-- why isn't the turning point the fall of the Roman Empire? If I had to decide, that would be the best event to divide history between.

Because the Roman Empire didn't fall in a single year.

Because the Roman Empire didn't fall in a single year.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't 476 the year that Rome fell? Obviously the empire was in decline beforehand but something important (the murder of the last Roman emperor, iirc) occurred then.

Then again I was never good in history class so I'm probably wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't 476 the year that Rome fell? Obviously the empire was in decline beforehand but something important (the murder of the last Roman emperor, iirc) occurred then.

Then again I was never good in history class so I'm probably wrong.

The Western Roman Empire "fell" in 476 (it was split in 285). The Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire) merrily continued existing.

I've been told that these days it's more historically accurate to say that Rome didn't 'fall', it just moved east to the Byzantine Empire.

yes. I just said that.

and since they're all arbitrary, "whatever is in common use" seems a pretty damn good choice of epoch to me.

Which BCE uses without having a reference to a mythology that maybe 1/6th of the world believe in!

I see no point in the introduction of BCE and CE, nothing significant divides them, they are just PC versions of BC and AD.
BC and AD are better because they actually bother saying what the difference is.

Back
Top Bottom