• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Beijing Olympics

Lorem Ipsum

Pronoun
x
With the Olympic Games happening in Beijing tomorrow, this is a discussion thread for everything related to the games, whether to do with the actual sport, or to discuss other things that have come with the games, such as the Free Tibet protests intensifying, the question of air pollution in China, and human rights being questioned.

Just a note; the opening ceremony takes place tomorrow, Friday 8th August 2008 at 8:00pm Chinese time (British people can catch the opening ceremony on BBC One at 12:45pm GMT).

Oh, and is it me who thinks that the date for the start of the Games being 08/08/08 at 8:00pm and the Chinese lucky number being 8 is a coincidence?

Don't care for it but the animated BBC ad for the Beijing Olympics is pretty sweet imo

I think it's absolutely horrendous. I quite liked the "Leap for London" ads that were on buses and things before London was picked, with people vaulting over the London Eye or the Gherkin or whatever (uh, like this). But the this one is horrible.

It looks like they handed two underliner pens to either a retarded or blind person and let them go wild.
I mean it's great that London's giving disabled people a chance but.

You want to know what the logo is?

It's K9 from Doctor Who looking at two ducks.
DogNDucks_450x192.jpg

Welp.

I was going to boycott watching the opening ceremony due to the whole Tibet thing, but then Mom said there would be snacks while we were watching it.

Does this make me a failed hippy?

also um excuse me wtf is that thing is london insane or something

Welp.

I was going to boycott watching the opening ceremony due to the whole Tibet thing, but then Mom said there would be snacks while we were watching it.

Apparently so...to the last one...

Meh...I probably won't watch it. I might though.

Welp.

how do you boycott watching a ceremony

also yeah giving up on not watching the ceremony because of snacks is kind of weak tbh but I don't really care since I don't pay much attention to the Olympic games anyway.

I can't wait for the olympics. Sort of. I agree that China definately wasn't a good place to have the olymics this year, but the athletes have worked so dang hard, so I think that they ought to continue.

Hey, did anyone else hear that Iran or Iraq (I forget which -_-) was banned from the olympics? It's so cruel...

If they banned Iraq they're being unfair but I can sort of understand banning Iran since they're being huge dicks right now.
I mean they should still be allowed to participate since the athletes of the country don't have much to do with the leader but I get where they're coming from.

I hope the athletes'll be fine. Air quality in Beijing kinda sucks ass. Well, more than kinda.

I can't wait to watch swimming, and that's it. :D

Apparently this ex-policewoman living near me is going to be in the Riflery section of the Olympics.

The indoor sport athletes should mostly be okay, but seriously how much is it going to suck for the track and field people.

The indoor sport athletes should mostly be okay, but seriously how much is it going to suck for the track and field people.
Quite a lot, from what I've heard. Some people were going to Beijing to try to get used to running with that air quality and were consistently having trouble with the whole 'breathing' thing.

:<

I won't watch it. I never watch it. Sports aren't my thing, and the olympics is just one big sports event that always has some kind of controversy attached to it like it being held in Bejing or someone using steroids. And all you get is a medal. A f-ing medal. Oh, and being featured in nearly every advertisment following the olympics. So I pass.

I watch it I'm on holiday because usually we can only get like three channels then.

I've already been on holiday so I'm not watching it. However we'll probably have it on in the background but not actually watch it.

Back
Top Bottom