• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's going in the order of grass-fire-water. Because the bottom left has leaves and the bottom right looks watery.

I don't know, my thoughts are fire, grass, and water from left to right, just because the tail on the far left pokemon is kind of flame-ish, and I can see it sort of breathing fire on something, I guess. Problem is it looks a bit too much like a mix between Cyndaquil and Charmander. Then I had a thought - what if the face is on the right side of its head as opposed to its left, giving its head a sort of Celebi-like shape as opposed to a Cyndaquil-like shape? I'm not sure I would like that.

Middle is almost definitely grass imho. It's very clearly a pig pokemon, and a pig wouldn't normally have two leaf-shaped objects on the top of its head unless it was a grass-type (as opposed to the far left starter, whose leaf-shaped objects could be either a flame or actual leaves).

As for the last one - it's probably a beaver.

So yeah, there you go.

Middle is almost definitely grass imho. It's very clearly a pig pokemon, and a pig wouldn't normally have two leaf-shaped objects on the top of its head unless it was a grass-type (as opposed to the far left starter, whose leaf-shaped objects could be either a flame or actual leaves).

Pig? I'm seeing a rabbit more that a pig.

@Zeta: Azumarill? And what if they're ears? Pigs don't have ears like that.

Left is grass because it's probably reptilian and ALL GRASS STARTERS MUST BE REPTILES.

Middle is fire because it is either a rabbit or a pig (probably rabbit) and ALL FIRE STARTERS MUST BE FROM THE CHINESE ZODIAC.

Right is water by process of elimination. There's no OMG PATTERN IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW IT IT IS LIKE DIVIDING BY ZERO for water so it could be anything, but it looks mammalian--I would say otter or beaver, but coming in right on the heels of buizel/bidoof seems like a bit much. If there were some space between them a la squirtle > turtwig... then again there was also torkoal in gen 3 so.

I had better be wrong because I am desperate for an official mammalian grass starter or something to rub in people's faces and tell them to stop fucking calling folks out on their omgisnotreptile grass starter fakes already. Please to be suggesting convincing alternatives to the above so I can get my hopes up.

Last edited:
Then I had a thought - what if the face is on the right side of its head as opposed to its left, giving its head a sort of Celebi-like shape as opposed to a Cyndaquil-like shape?

And then it's feet would be pointed the wrong way =( or I could see it's head turned at a very awkward angle

@Zeta: Azumarill? And pigs don't have long ears like that.
I'm pretty sure they'd never give a non-pig pokemon a curly tail - the Marill line all has zigzag tails. And like I said, I think those are leaves as opposed to ears.

Left is grass because it's probably reptilian and ALL GRASS STARTERS MUST BE REPTILES.
Turtles are amphibians, aren't they? Plus even if Bulbasaur is techinically a dinosaur of some sort, it's very mammalian in nature, and Chikorita doesn't really look like any animal at all :\

There's also the fact that every generation has had one quadrupedal and two bipedal starters, and with the exception of r/s/e, the quadruped has always been grass. Admittedly it's probably a coincidence and there's no real reason they have to adhere to this rule, but then again it's probably also a coincidence that all the grass starters are reptilian.

Middle is fire because it is either a rabbit or a pig (probably rabbit) and ALL FIRE STARTERS MUST BE FROM THE CHINESE ZODIAC.
Salamanders and porcupines are not from the chinese zodiac?

And then it's feet would be pointed the wrong way =( or I could see it's head turned at a very awkward angle
It would be tilting its head to look where its right hand is pointing. See if you can imagine it. (and not to be a dick but "it's" is short for it is, while "its" is the possessive form of "it"... this knowledge will help you later in life)

Turtles are reptiles.

Charmander becomes charizard which is the dragon; I agree that cyndaquil would break the pattern, but the argument is that it's the rat as it is classified as "fire mouse".

Speaking of which, these technically aren't my arguments anyway; they're simply what annoying people purists like to start flailing about whenever anyone suggests anything to the contrary (hence the sarcastic allcaps). I would be perfectly happy with something along the lines of your suggestions, for example, and I don't mind considering alternatives, but I just don't see it happening because apparently Game Freak has been sticking to the same arbitrary "patterns" all along. :/

Hey, they're video game designers. They love patterns. They want to marry patterns and have half-pattern half-human babies.

(I know. I date a budding one. 8| It's hard to contain his lust for patterns.)

I can sort of understand that; what I don't get is why the "patterns" in this case are so arbitrary. And why there isn't one for the water starters if they're allegedly being all butthurt about grass and fire.

Again, I would love to be wrong about this!

That's really silly, though! It seems to me really bizarre that Game Freak would do something like that. The reason why grass starters are reptiles is probably just that reptiles yield more natural designs due to being green already, and fire starters being based on the Chinese zodiac is very clearly just a coincidence. And even if Game Freak had been intentionally doing this all along, there's probably no reason why they couldn't and wouldn't just go ahead and break the pattern if they came up with a cooler alternative.

I agree! It's very silly, which is why I will reiterate that I hope I am wrong about what these starters are.

It would be tilting its head to look where its right hand is pointing. See if you can imagine it. (and not to be a dick but "it's" is short for it is, while "its" is the possessive form of "it"... this knowledge will help you later in life)

Which is what I meant by the awkward angle.

And I know about the apostrophe, I'm just tired and that small grammar mistake slipped my mind.

OMG, THEY FUCKED UP THE POKEMON SERIES FOREVER. :freaked: 0.o

Seriously, what the hell are they? I thought the Sinnoh starters were pretty bad, jeez, these look horrible. I hope they look better colored because so far they look almost like crappy fakemons. Gawd..... Jeshus.....

Is it me, or does it seem like they're doing this really fast? They barely gave us enough time to play HGSS before they're up and running with a brand new game.

I think there will be some things screwed up on this, because it seems really rushed.

I can't blame you, because it really does feel like the Sinnoh only recently came out. And a little earlier for Hoenn.... Wow, time flies by fast..... *sigh* And yeah, they seriously need to slow down on pokemon and get to work on the next SSB, They need a new one. I'm glad about Super Mario Galaxy 2, but whatever happened to Super Mario 64 2? And the "New" Super Mario Bros. Wii sucked. I was all hyped up and fell flat on my face. :( I was looking more for SMW.....

..... All right, enough ranting. :D

Last edited:
... it's called "they don't look familiar to the mind's eye yet". You'll get used to them, just as everyone got used to every previous set of Pokémon designs.

Yeah, your probably right but... they just look... bad. They seem all flimsy and delicate. Oh well....

OMG, THEY FUCKED UP THE POKEMON SERIES FOREVER. :freaked: 0.o

Seriously, what the hell are they? I thought the Sinnoh starters were pretty bad, jeez, these look horrible. I hope they look better colored because so far they look almost like crappy fakemons. Gawd..... Jeshus.....
I'd like to point out that we have no idea what the heck they even look like aside from their general shape. If you're going to start complaining, please wait until after their full selves are revealed.

I'm glad they're hurrying along with revealing stuff for the game. Lots of people are saying that it's rushed, but I like it that way. Would you really rather have it like they did with D/P and reveal the first new Pokemon, and release the games over 2 years later? I'm glad they're hurrying the process along. We've had to wait long enough for them to even anounce the new generation, I think.

They seem all flimsy and delicate.

I'd say that the one on the left is the only one who looks a little... spindly, whereas the other two, to me, look pretty physically sturdy. That might be the point; the one on the left could be fast, or something - but we won't know until we find out more about them, and what they evolve into. You could end up really liking them! Give 'em a chance.

wow that's only what everyone says for every generation when there are silhouttes revealed only to eat their words when they realise that oh yeah we did that last time for no apparent reason.

Am I the only one who's seeing the bipedal-tail-finned one as a water starter? Like its tail looks like a fish or dolphin fin to me more than fire or leaves. :| And the body's all kind of streamlined like it'd be a swimmer. And then the one with the bouncy tail is the leaf one, and it looks like a shrew or a rabbit to me (it would be cool if it wasn't a reptile or bird this time for once), and then the round-ish kind of one looks like it'd be a sort of bear or something. :3 OHGOD wouldn't it be awesome if it was like a badass fire panda? OR OR a cat or |D something cute and fluffy for once.

Like this:
picture.php
That's what it looks like to me. |3

and yeah I know there's no fire on it shut up. >:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom