• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Calling someone "sister" without being related?

Mercy

was Mercedes
So a few days ago my mother unexpectedly asked me if I thought it was strange if you call someone who isn't related to you "sister" or "uncle" or even "grandpa" and "grandma". And, being from a small area in Alaska, I said no. I have a few "aunts" who aren't related to me whatsoever, but I still refer to them as that and they acknowledge me as their neice. I have two boys at my school who call me their sister, and I call them my brothers, even though we don't share the same blood. Since I'm in this small town setting where everyone knows each other, we all call each other family in some way. (But that also could be partly because my family is adopted into a Tlingit clan and everyone else in that clan is considered "family". :]) So, obviously, it's something that I've grown up with my whole life and haven't known anything else.

So my question is, is this weird? It just got me thinking because I don't live in a big city. Does anyone else do this? Is it different in bigger areas? Or maybe it's the same? Shower me with your opinions. :D

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. =X

Oh I do this all the time. I have a couple of guys who call me their sister, and treat me like it too, mostly since I've know them since I was a wee tyke. I have a few aunts and uncles who aren't actually related, most of whom are my mom's friends from before I was born (like my godparents, who I call my aunt and uncle).

Plus I just have a few close friends that are my siblings practically, like moony is my sister since we're so close and so on. I'm from a pretty good-sized city, though not too big (around 25 000 or so people) too.

I have six aunts and uncles, only one is actually related to me. Everyone does it.

It's not exactly weird. Doesn't seem to be as common as where you live, but, y'know, whatever. I have an 'Aunt' Val, but she's just my mom's best friend, so...

Me and Blastoise's "aunt Val"-she's my godmother-isn't actually related to us, and I call some people at my school my brother or sister.

It's not exactly weird. Doesn't seem to be as common as where you live, but, y'know, whatever. I have an 'Aunt' Val, but she's just my mom's best friend, so...

Hmmm... true. Even though most of this island's people -are- related to each other in some way. Excluding a few families, like mine.

Maybe "weird" isn't the word I was looking for. More like just something that they don't do?

I don't think I do, which is a shame; I wish I did have more fake family, especially considering how little actual family I have - I've seen five family members this year.

As for "calling" someone sister (I may be taking this too literally, but I'm curious) - does anyone actually do that? I never understood the thing where you actually refer to people by their relation to you.

As for "calling" someone sister (I may be taking this too literally, but I'm curious) - does anyone actually do that? I never understood the thing where you actually refer to people by their relation to you.

Well, actually calling your sister 'sister'... well, from what I've seen, it's way more common in Spanish (or I could be mistranslating) than in English.

As for calling an unrelated person sister, well, lke Danni I don't really have anyone to do that *with* x: But caaling familiy friends aunt and uncle's very common. Apperently my favorite uncle wasn't really my uncle until pretty recently.

Dannichu said:

Uhmmm... I don't think I do that with any of my relatives, except for my sister. On the rare occasion that we pass by each other at boarding school, I'll usually say something like, "Sister! :D" It's just a habit. And it helps other people learn that we actually are sisters even though we look nothing alike. =X

As for seeing an aunt or uncle, I usually just say, "Aunt ___" or "Uncle ____" because I think just calling them aunt and uncle is kinda silly.

My entire family calls each other by their 'position'; for example, I'm 'sister' to my mom, my dad, my grandpa, etc., not just my brother. However we only do that in Chinese. If we use English to call each other - which is uncommon - we mysteriously revert to calling family members by their names.

I have no idea what other people do though.

Not at all strange. I got a couple of, hmm, something relations who I don't even know are related to me how, so I just call them cousins. And, of course, over here, any friend of your mother's, or female relation who's old enough to be your aunt, becomes your 'aunt'. Be it south in the desert or north in the glaciers. All across the country. And also. My grammar is legitimate. Not sure about calling someone sister. I call my real cousins brothers (and vice-versa). That's about it.

I don't call people 'sister' or 'brother', but I have a lot of cousins and aunts and uncles, many of whom aren't related to me. Family friends end up as cousins and aunts/uncles, and my family has a lot of extended family that stays in touch with everyone. So.

I refer to my best friend Glen as my brother.

I also consider my aunt Sharon's friend Mags an aunt but I've never actually referred to her as my Aunt Mags.

There's also Auntie C but everyone but her sister and my debating teacher call her that.

I don't think it's weird. In fact, I have a relative who's called by a different title due to honorary sistership.

(Basically, my maternal grandma was best friends with my maternal grandpa's niece, so I always call her 'Aunt' even though she's my second cousin)

Back
Top Bottom