• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Hey I have a bad idea and a battle slot, let's combine the two!

Format: 1v1
Style: Set.
DQ: Two weeks.
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery limited to 4 per battler, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler, Attract
Arena Description: WWE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPERSLAAAAAM

AVAILABLE ON PAY-PER-VIEW FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF $59.99!

WILL JOHN CENA DEFEND HIS TITLE? WILL IT BE STOLEN AWAY BY THE UNDERTAKER? WILL I LET MY SHIFT KEY TAKE A BREAK? THESE QUESTIONS AND MORE WILL BE ANSWERED THIS SUNDAY NIGHT ON WWE SUUUUUPERSLAAAAAM! AVAILABLE FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF $49.99

This main event battle will take place live on television before millions of fans! Before the battle, each battler enters the ring to their signature theme music before giving out the customary pre-fight taunts. Then they finally get down to business. Fighting. The ring is a basic wrestling arena, a ring in the middle, surrounded by concrete floors, surrounded by 21,000 screaming fans.

Additional Rules:
  • Only Pokemon that are part Fighting type may be used.
  • Because of the screaming of the crowd, sound moves don't work as well, having their accuracy dropped by 20% because of the shortened range. Round and Echoed Voice are an exception, both getting the equivalent of a one stage boost.
  • Every round, there's a 20% chance a (randomized) fighting type will come into the ring and use a randomized attack it learns on one of the battlers. (This can be any fighting type of any stage, legendaries included.)
  • Battler's PM the ref their choice of Pokemon and it's music for its big entrance.

Last edited:
Ref test battle for Bobino; needs one advanced/elite mentor ref and one other battler.

--------------

2vs2 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Ref test battle for Bobino; needs one advanced/elite mentor ref and one other battler.

--------------

2vs2 Single
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, they may choose to apply the experience earned by their rental Pokémon, minus one point, to their team in any manner that they choose.

The prizes for this battle are $20 to the winner, $10 to the loser, and $15 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

Me, me! This time I hope my young padawan shall not disappear on me after two rounds...

2vs2 Single
Style: Set
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Pain Split, Direct Recovery, Attract, Sleep inflicting moves, Chills limited to 3 per Pokémon
Terrain: A Rainy City Street by Keldeo

A typical narrow street in a typical urban area, flooded by incessant rain. All the normal effects of rain apply, but Fire moves also have a 25% chance to fizzle out and fail, and due to the inherent conductivity of the area, all Electric moves have their base damage increased by 2% and their base energy decreased by 1%. In addition, at the end of every round, one of the following things will happen:

10% chance: Thunderbolt, damage calculated as if it were used by a fully evolved Electric type with no experience, hits one Pokemon. It will not strike the same Pokemon twice, so if all Pokemon on the field have been hit when this is rolled, nothing happens.

10% chance: A sudden gust of wind deals 3% Flying damage to all Pokemon, dealing 5% to Pokemon currently in the air and knocking them down unless they are inherently flying/hovering.

10% chance: A street sign or other implement topples from the force of the rain, dealing 4% Steel damage to all Pokemon.

10% chance: The rain lessens to a drizzle for the next round. There is no Electric boost, Fire moves cannot fizzle out, all HP recovery from rain is lessened by 1/2, Swift Swim Pokemon are only 1.5x as fast, Water moves are boosted by 1.25x, Fire moves and Solar Beam are decreased by .75x, and Weather Ball is only boosted by 1.5x.

30% chance: A flash flood sweeps through the area. Between rounds, Pokemon under 1 meter tall must expend 2% energy to avoid the water, while those over 1 meter tall take 2% Water damage from the buffeting waves. Water Pokemon and Pokemon currently in the air are exempt from this damage. If this effect is rolled, there is an additional 50% chance that the next round must be spent evacuating to a safer place for a battle (turn order is preserved in this case, but a new effect is rolled, and status and other effects worsen as they normally would).

30% chance: The rain strengthens to heavy rain (identical to the effects of Primordial Sea) for the next round. In addition, every Pokemon on the field takes 1% Water damage per action, and the Electric boost is increased to 3% base damage and 2% decrease in base energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I have a bad idea and a battle slot, let's combine the two!

Format: 1v1
Style: Set.
DQ: Two weeks.
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery limited to 4 per battler, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler, Attract
Arena Description: WWE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPERSLAAAAAM

AVAILABLE ON PAY-PER-VIEW FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF $59.99!

WILL JOHN CENA DEFEND HIS TITLE? WILL IT BE STOLEN AWAY BY THE UNDERTAKER? WILL I LET MY SHIFT KEY TAKE A BREAK? THESE QUESTIONS AND MORE WILL BE ANSWERED THIS SUNDAY NIGHT ON WWE SUUUUUPERSLAAAAAM! AVAILABLE FOR THE LOW LOW PRICE OF $49.99

This main event battle will take place live on television before millions of fans! Before the battle, each battler enters the ring to their signature theme music before giving out the customary pre-fight taunts. Then they finally get down to business. Fighting. The ring is a basic wrestling arena, a ring in the middle, surrounded by concrete floors, surrounded by 21,000 screaming fans.

Additional Rules:
  • Only Pokemon that are part Fighting type may be used.
  • Because of the screaming of the crowd, sound moves don't work as well, having their accuracy dropped by 20% because of the shortened range. Round and Echoed Voice are an exception, both getting the equivalent of a one stage boost.
  • Every round, there's a 20% chance a (randomized) fighting type will come into the ring and use a randomized attack it learns on one of the battlers. (This can be any fighting type of any stage, legendaries included.)
  • Battler's PM the ref their choice of Pokemon and it's music for its big entrance.

Wow, nobody's taken this yet? It's time, to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-duel!

I like the idea of teamwork in ASB, so I'm making this open challenge.

Format: 2+2 vs 2+2 doubles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Pain Split, Direct Recovery (except during break time), Chills limited to 3 per Pokémon
Arena Description: Team-building Exercises

The arena takes place in a stereotypical corporate office setting. The cubicle walls have been removed, and computer desks covered in financial reports and stock portfolios have been pushed aside to make room for a Pokémon battle. The walls are covered in pie charts and motivational posters, and on some desks are little trinkets and house plants.

Water from the water coolers is available for attacks that need a water source, and the indoor plants can be used for attacks that require plants, dirt, or rocks. The weather, however, cannot be affected inside the office building.

Any time both teammates use a move of the same type during an action, they increase their "synergy" and their critical hit domains will increase by one. This can only occur once per round.

Every fifth round is union mandated break time. Battlers will make their way to the break room where they can chat around the water cooler, drink coffee, and eat snacks from the company fridge. During this round, only self-targeting moves and moves that affect allies can be used. The move Snatch will not steal opponents' moves. Battlers can also use an action to eat a sandwich from the company fridge, restoring 5% health at the cost of no energy.

I have a bunch of open battle slots right now. I'll use this to fill one of them.

Taking this as well.

sounds nice! i'll pitch in!
Everything has been so slow lately, so I'll grab this one! Any preferences as to how battlers should be organized?

Might as well have one low-pressure thing going on.

Format: 2v2
DQ: 1 month
Damage Cap: 49%
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct recovery, Pain Split, any moves that instantly faint a battler (Explosion, OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, etc.), Attract. Chills are restricted to 7 per Pokémon.
Arena: Derelict Ship

I'm sure it must have been a cool arena that these two trainers must have originally been planning to fight in, if it was only accessible by boat. What a shame, then, that it turns out that a quick Metronome Battle doesn't really make for a good way to pass the time in a marine trip. Fortunately -- or, perhaps, disappointingly -- the ship is still standing; however, avoiding the increasingly distressful seas has ultimately led to it being rammed against the shallows. The crew has evacuated in an orderly fashion, using lifeboats efficiently enough that many were left on board... But instead of going home, the trainers suddenly the decided that the abandoned vessel actually made for one sick arena, too.

The fight will take place aboard a ship that lies trapped in shallow water, standing perfectly straight despite a gaping hole in the bottom of the hull. The battlers will begin from the upper deck, with access to the lower deck below via a flight of stairs, and then to the cargo hold via another, each taking about an action to climb down for a Pokémon of average speed and with adequate limbs for the motion. Of course, holes through the floor can work just as well as means of locomotion across the decks. It's also possible to take the fight all the way to the shallows, providing even a good chance to disturb the maritime wildlife (although it may furiously retaliate if sufficiently provoked -- you never know if there are Gyarados in the water!).

Additional Rules: Sleep will only be successfully induced once against each team (arena effects aren't affected by this restriction and don't trigger it).

Hey, I'll accept this challenge if you're still up for it. I haven't played ASB in years and could use something low-pressure to help me get back into it!

Hey, I'll accept this challenge if you're still up for it. I haven't played ASB in years and could use something low-pressure to help me get back into it!
Sure, I'm still up. Additionally, if you'd like, I could send out first, since there's... a relatively small difference in the size of our active squads.

Sure, I'm still up. Additionally, if you'd like, I could send out first, since there's... a relatively small difference in the size of our active squads.

Aha, just a bit of a difference! That would be very kind of you, if you're okay with it. Thanks! I may also buy another Pokémon - I have until a ref posts the battle, right?

2vs2 Single
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Pain Split, Direct Recovery, Attract, Sleep inflicting moves, Chills limited to 3 per Pokémon
Terrain: A Rainy City Street by Keldeo
A typical narrow street in a typical urban area, flooded by incessant rain. All the normal effects of rain apply, but Fire moves also have a 25% chance to fizzle out and fail, and due to the inherent conductivity of the area, all Electric moves have their base damage increased by 2% and their base energy decreased by 1%. In addition, at the end of every round, one of the following things will happen:
  • 10% chance: Thunderbolt, damage calculated as if it were used by a fully evolved Electric type with no experience, hits one Pokemon. It will not strike the same Pokemon twice, so if all Pokemon on the field have been hit when this is rolled, nothing happens.
  • 10% chance: A sudden gust of wind deals 3% Flying damage to all Pokemon, dealing 5% to Pokemon currently in the air and knocking them down unless they are inherently flying/hovering.
  • 10% chance: A street sign or other implement topples from the force of the rain, dealing 4% Steel damage to all Pokemon.
  • 10% chance: The rain lessens to a drizzle for the next round. There is no Electric boost, Fire moves cannot fizzle out, all HP recovery from rain is lessened by 1/2, Swift Swim Pokemon are only 1.5x as fast, Water moves are boosted by 1.25x, Fire moves and Solar Beam are decreased by .75x, and Weather Ball is only boosted by 1.5x.
  • 30% chance: A flash flood sweeps through the area. Between rounds, Pokemon under 1 meter tall must expend 2% energy to avoid the water, while those over 1 meter tall take 2% Water damage from the buffeting waves. Water Pokemon and Pokemon currently in the air are exempt from this damage. If this effect is rolled, there is an additional 50% chance that the next round must be spent evacuating to a safer place for a battle (turn order is preserved in this case, but a new effect is rolled, and status and other effects worsen as they normally would).
  • 30% chance: The rain strengthens to heavy rain (identical to the effects of Primordial Sea) for the next round. In addition, every Pokemon on the field takes 1% Water damage per action, and the Electric boost is increased to 3% base damage and 2% decrease in base energy.
I'll take this battle if Guestrodon is still up for it! (looks like it hasn't been online in a few days, but hopefully it'll see this! also I made some changes to the formatting of the post for readability, hopefully that isn't an issue)

in addition, to help me get back into the swing of ASB, I'd like to post a fairly straightforward and low-pressure challenge of my own! (I hope it's acceptable to accept a challenge & post another in the same post... I didn't see anything about it/can't see why it wouldn't be but. if not let me know!)

Format: 2vs2 Singles
DQ: 3 weeks (21 days)
Banned/Restricted Moves: Chills are limited to 6 total per Pokémon, and 10 total per team. Each Pokémon may only use a direct recovery move once per battle. Any moves that always cause a Pokémon to faint as part of their effect (OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, Explosion, Selfdestruct, and any others I've missed) are banned completely. See the arena description for additional terrain-based restrictions.
Arena Description: A vast outdoor field stretching seemingly infinitely under an open sky. The terrain is covered with green grass and a variety of wildflowers, and there are a few small hills and valleys. Most of the grass is short, although there are some patches where it is taller, up to about 1ft. The soil is soft enough to easily dig through. There are no immediately accessible water sources, nor are there any large rocks to be found, so moves requiring such terrain features cannot be used.
Additional Rules: N/A

in addition, to help me get back into the swing of ASB, I'd like to post a fairly straightforward and low-pressure challenge of my own! (I hope it's acceptable to accept a challenge & post another in the same post... I didn't see anything about it/can't see why it wouldn't be but. if not let me know!)

Format: 2vs2 Singles
DQ: 3 weeks (21 days)
Banned/Restricted Moves: Chills are limited to 6 total per Pokémon, and 10 total per team. Each Pokémon may only use a direct recovery move once per battle. Any moves that always cause a Pokémon to faint as part of their effect (OHKOs, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, Explosion, Selfdestruct, and any others I've missed) are banned completely. See the arena description for additional terrain-based restrictions.
Arena Description: A vast outdoor field stretching seemingly infinitely under an open sky. The terrain is covered with green grass and a variety of wildflowers, and there are a few small hills and valleys. Most of the grass is short, although there are some patches where it is taller, up to about 1ft. The soil is soft enough to easily dig through. There are no immediately accessible water sources, nor are there any large rocks to be found, so moves requiring such terrain features cannot be used.
Additional Rules: N/A

Apparently I haven't posted the two weeks.

So I'll get back to posting by accepting this!

I'll pick up Zapi vs Murkrow, because apparently I enjoy forcing myself to post horrible writing on a daily basis...

edit: Also, I'm removing TruetoCheese's pending battles from the Challenge Board, seeing as he seems to have disappeared for quite a while and they've been there since September. He can, of course, feel free to repost them when he returns.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone! I was here a long time ago, and I can't even remember why I left, but I'd like to come back and stay this time. I've set up my first Pokemon, and I'd like to have a simple battle if someone would accept. :)

Format Singles 2vs2
Style Switch
DQ 20 Days
Damage Cap 40%
Banned Moves None
Additional Rules I'd really like just Babies and unevolved Pokemon.
Arena A playground beside a river. It has swings, slides, Monkey bars, a merry go round, seesaw, and ref and opponent can add things I can't think of. There are a few trees around.

Anyone interested?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom