• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

YES IT IS AMAZING (Also there is a second trailer here with a ton of things everyone should see including ten and eleven comparing screwdrivers and more hilarity

I am so, so excited about this and the trailers have only made it worse. I managed to get tickets to a screening of the anniversary at one of the illinois showings, and I cannot wait. I want to find out where John Hurt comes into all of this, and the dynamic between ten and eleven and what role Rose is going to play and I could not be more hyped about this

a bit of analysis though"
Rose seems to at least in part be the Bad Wolf for some of the anniversary. Given she has universe-changing powers, i'm kinda curious to see where they'll go with it. Or more importantly, how she got said powers back if they were absorbed from her by nine.

and second, in the first few seconds of both trailers, there is Gallifrey. And Dalek spaceships. And a large battle. I think we are actually going to see the time war!

(i've always called him TenTwo but i see where you got Handy)

I don't think it's TenTwo, mainly because in the second trailer there's a shot of the Ten in question throwing the tardis switch, but then again anything could happen.

Personally I think that the Ten we're going to see is pre-Doomsday.

I wasn't hugely optimistic (I wasn't overly impressed with series seven, which makes me sad) but the trailers are good and HOO BOY did that prequel get me excited. I am also pleased because I'm seeing it at the cinema with a bunch of friends so even if it does turn out to be Not Great, we'll probably still have fun. But I remain cautiously optimistic!

(Also on a slightly pluggy but relevant note, I've been making a Doctor Who short film type thing with the aforementioned friends! The trailer is here if you're interested asdfghjkl I'm so excited about it even though there's still a lot to do in the next six days ahh)

Really good! I'm sure a lot of people are disappointed due to the hype but as far as Doctor Who episodes in general go, I think it was great!

They tied everything together pretty much the best way they could. I mean, it needed to be something big about the Time War and what they did by pretty much saving Gallifrey in such a way that it's up in the air and it might not be saved after all, it's perfect! It doesn't change much and yet it's the epic sort of event the 50th anniversary needed!

I wonder if references to the Doctors from now on will add one to their number or if they'll just refer to John Hurt as War Doctor or Doctor 8.5

I also like how they introduced the "John Hurt needs to to a calculation but it'll take forever but 11 has already finished it" thing with the sonic screwdrivers which they didn't need, and then used it later for saving Gallifrey.

I also take it that since 10 was messing about with Liz I that in his timeline it takes place just before he lands on the Ood planet? ("just before" meaning between that episode and the one before it, he probably did a lots of other stuff in that time)

Also maybe the Bad Wolf megaweapon or whatever it's called always works like that and pretty much always comes up with convoluted plans to save as many people as possible!
Also the Tom Baker at the end was a later Doctor, right?

I didn't particularly like Tom Baker scarf girl. It's great that the writers want to put in a character that the audience will relate to but there's a fine line between that and just putting a Doctor Who fan IN the episode.
You know how for Star Trek's 30th anniversary they made a Deep Space 9/Original Series crossover episode that everyone loved? Well that was only one of their ideas. One idea was to have the DS9 crew visit a planet that has been saved by Kirk & crew and had since developed a culture where everyone dressed like the Enterprise crew and held conventions and stuff. I can only imagine the reason they didn't do that was because it would have been terrible.

The reason Reg Barclay worked in The Next Generation as a relatable-to-the-audience character was because he wasn't perfect in every way *cough*Wesley*cough*, if anything he was a total loser. Maybe I wouldn't have minded the girl in the scarf in this episode if it weren't for the fact that she helped save the day. I can accept either someone being an insert of a Who fan OR helping the save the day. Having both is just obvious pandering to the audience.
Also the Zygon said something about how she was jealous of her "pretty sister"? I guess that's just another instance of only pretty people are allowed on TV but if you put a pair of glasses on them and give them an inhaler, it apparently makes them unattractive regardless of whether that's true at all.

I sort of like that the Zygon part of the story wasn't actually entirely resolved. Presumably they reached an agreement otherwise Earth won't be in the later series. Or maybe since scarf girl (did she have a name?) knew who had the inhaler she worked out which was which and something developed from there.

Also Peter Capaldi made an appearance! Pretty cool! I do wonder if since "all" 13 appeared there that that means they won't make an excuse for more regenerations and just end the series next time he dies?

I was very glad that since it was a simulcast that there weren't adverts.

Well, I'm sad because I just watched Time of the Doctor. And I know I'm going to miss Matt Smith; he was a fantastic Doctor. (Not sure if this even qualifies as a spoiler at this point)

I didn't like the episode as much as its counterparts in the "X of the Doctor" trilogy, but Matt did a really good job in this episode. Say what you want about Moffat, but Matt Smith has always played his role perfectly.

I'm surprised at how inactive this thread is right now.

I'm surprised at how inactive this thread is right now.

Yeah, me too. Especially with the 50th anniversary as well.

Matt Smith was a good Doctor but I'm a bit disappointed with Clara's character so far. I hope they develop her some more before she leaves because we still don't know much about her at all.

Well, this is kinda off topic, but I have a fan theory. You know how the Doctor runs a lot? It might have been caused by
him running from the Untempered Schism
. But that isn't all. I think that
Clara, while being intertwined with his timeline, appeared in the thing and gave him his first RYCBAR. It was her who defined him as a runner

Well, this is kinda off topic, but I have a fan theory. You know how the Doctor runs a lot? It might have been caused by
him running from the Untempered Schism
. But that isn't all. I think that
Clara, while being intertwined with his timeline, appeared in the thing and gave him his first RYCBAR. It was her who defined him as a runner

Or, you know, things could be constantly chasing him. It's sort of been a thing throughout the series that the Doctor tends to run, a lot. It's not really something spoilerific. Well, I've been thinking on my own about RYCBAR, and putting it together with the last anagram we had, YANA, and if you combine them, "Run you clever boy and remember, you are not alone." And with the results of the 50th... pretty snazzy eh?

I hope they develop Clara's character some more. She's been in the show for a quite a while now but she still feels like "the new one"

Or, you know, things could be constantly chasing him. It's sort of been a thing throughout the series that the Doctor tends to run, a lot. It's not really something spoilerific. Well, I've been thinking on my own about RYCBAR, and putting it together with the last anagram we had, YANA, and if you combine them, "Run you clever boy and remember, you are not alone." And with the results of the 50th... pretty snazzy eh?

My new headcanon is that this was completely intentional and not at all a coincidence. It's just too perfect.

A bit too much comedy (mostly the slaptick) for my liking. The boing sound effect when they did the mind-meld was one thing but then they went on to do the bit when the Doctor was hanging upside down in a tree and then Vastra has that remote car key and that scene where Strax gave Clara the bucket of water to drink. Him calling her "boy" is getting a bit old as well. A lot of it felt like filler.

When I looked back the dinosaur didn't seem like it needed to be there at all except for the spectacle but I suppose there needed to be a high-profile killing for the robots to get the Doctor's attention.

But enough complaining. The rest of the episode was good. It looked at how the Doctor changed and his speech about the Ship of Theseus that was totally not supposed to be a reference to his own regeneration.

At the end when that woman woke up the robot in the promised lands - I'm guessing she's the one who put the ad in the newspaper. Vastra saying "by the goddess" is most likely meant to be her being her, but I'm not dismissing the possibility that the promised land woman is somehow connected to that. (Since she has an umbrella, I'll be calling her Mary Poppins until I find out where her name actually is)

A bit too much comedy (mostly the slaptick) for my liking. The boing sound effect when they did the mind-meld was one thing but then they went on to do the bit when the Doctor was hanging upside down in a tree and then Vastra has that remote car key and that scene where Strax gave Clara the bucket of water to drink. Him calling her "boy" is getting a bit old as well. A lot of it felt like filler.

When I looked back the dinosaur didn't seem like it needed to be there at all except for the spectacle but I suppose there needed to be a high-profile killing for the robots to get the Doctor's attention.

But enough complaining. The rest of the episode was good. It looked at how the Doctor changed and his speech about the Ship of Theseus that was totally not supposed to be a reference to his own regeneration.

At the end when that woman woke up the robot in the promised lands - I'm guessing she's the one who put the ad in the newspaper. Vastra saying "by the goddess" is most likely meant to be her being her, but I'm not dismissing the possibility that the promised land woman is somehow connected to that. (Since she has an umbrella, I'll be calling her Mary Poppins until I find out where her name actually is)

I felt that it was just really... indifferent. I get the confusion post-regen, but I felt it was dragged out a bit long.

I got pretty annoyed by what they are doing with Vastra and Jenny. I mean, really? Yes, woohoo, interspecies lesbian couple ftw! But do you need to shove it down our throats? Yes, we get it. How many times do they have to mention they're married? Less is more, Moffat.

I liked Matt Smith showing up though, and the phone call and everything at the end. That was nice, show us a bit of normality after a strange new face and all. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey and all. Still wondering how he did it since isn't it like crossing his own... bah, forget it.

Judging by the red undercoat, I guess he'll be taking after the Third a lot, eh? I mean it's the only logical conclusion.

We shall see.

I agree with Phantom re: marriage mentions. I felt like every time you saw Vastra and Jenny they were obligated to mention they were married, as if we'd forget between scenes. We're not 2 years old, we can remember.

What really bothered me with the ep was when the Doctor abandoned Clara. I have this big abandonment 'issue' where I hate when characters abandon others and it just felt really really wrong even if it was a 'test' or whatever. Writing-wise, it was clearly meant to show Clara's 'skills' by proving she could get out of the situation on her own - but I feel like that makes the Doctor weaker. He couldn't do that himself, without risking Clara's life? Usually he's the one to talk them out of the situation without tossing his companion aside. It just REALLY BOTHERED ME. :|

Also yes, the dinosaur was completely unnecessary. Clearly they're adding big-shiny-things for American audience, including slapstick stuff, because that's what Moffat thinks Americans like.

Deep Breath was actually the most I've genuinely loved a Doctor Who episode in a long time. Meh on the dinosaur/slapstick/hey-look-we-have-lesbians-and-they're-married-remember-the-married-lesbians, but it hit all of my Doctor Who buttons with all the discussion of the Doctor wearing youthful faces in the hope that people will like and accept him more that way, and his Ship of Theseus rant, and him insisting murder isn't in his basic programming only to later quietly admit he was lying before dropping the robot he kind of identifies with to be horribly impaled, and Eleven calling to tell Clara to stay with Twelve because he's terrified and really needs her even if he's not showing it. And I really appreciated the little "The Doctor/companion relationship will be actually platonic this time around, thank you very much." And I liked the multiple scenes of Clara being terrified out of her wits and doing a damn good job dealing with it.

Also, the Doctor's horror at having Peter Capaldi's face and ranting that his eyebrows want to secede from his face was the most hilarious.

I think I'm going to like Twelve, if this episode was any indication.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom