• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Does a God of ANY KIND exist?

How about the Cosmolgocial argument? I can't say I buy the Ontological one either, and the Teleological one is opposed massively by evolution, but science can't explain an infinate chain of causes.

May I just say that when I first heard the Cosmological argument in RE I thought about how incredibly lazy it was.

The God of Gaps isn't an argument and in light of the Big Bang the Cosmological argument had to be changed, pretty much, to "the Universe begun to exist so something must then have caused it to", which doesn't prove a higher being. Lack of scientific evidence is not evidence for God.

More specifically, lack of scientific evidence is evidence that we'll have to wait a bit to find out. Much like where lightning came from.

And science can explain an infinite chain of causes just as well as Magic Beard Man can.

EDIT:

I found this interesting. While I could make a much more fiery point, I don't feel like typing that much.

Also: GameFreakerZero, your avatar is pretty darn feminine, so that's why people keep thinking you're a woman. We really need them gender tags.

Last edited:
(too lazy to read the rest =P)
There could be a god. There could not be a god, with the equally same probability. The thing is, we don't have any proof that a god exists, but we don't have any proof that a god doesn't exists. But people choose to believe whatever.

"If you can't see, hear, or feel it, it doesn't exist!" But maybe it does. Who knows?

Of course god exists! Its just an evil bastard who created us for its own entertainment knowing we would eventually destroy ourselves! and im sorry but i <3 Satan :D its fun to say! Satan! Satan! Satan! =D

I believe so. And He has a great sense of humor. I also believe in Evolution and, by there being no better idea that I know of, the Big Bang. If you would like me to tell you the specifics of my belief system, PM me.

I believe so. And He has a great sense of humor. I also believe in Evolution and, by there being no better idea that I know of, the Big Bang. If you would like me to tell you the specifics of my belief system, PM me.

how do you believe in evolution

don't you see opal
clearly the church is wrong just enough so that big daddy up there is still there
he just decided evolution could happen and the big bang while he was at it

I don't have much intelligent to say on this subject so I'll just go with a series of quotes. XD

Thomas Jefferson said:
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
Bertrand Russell said:
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Jules Renard said:
I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't.
Voltaire said:
If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.

Clearly a god exists. At the very least there are gods man has invented.

I however feel there is a real God (as well), mostly because the evolution of ALL life from single celled organisms seems just a little far-feched to me.

Just because someone says there's a god doesn't mean there is one.

If I insisted that the moon is actually made of a pale-green cheeselike substance and that it is populated entirely by tapdancing martians wearing thongs and enough people believed that I was right, would that make it true?

Clearly a god exists. At the very least there are gods man has invented.

The concept of gods has been created; not actual gods. Not to mention the fact that that goes completely against one of the central points of a god; that it created you, not the other way around.

I however feel there is a real God (as well), mostly because the evolution of ALL life from single celled organisms seems just a little far-fetched to me.

I agree, a magic sparkly man in the sky who came from nothingness and then proceeded to create everything in some bored whim, whilst also demanding that his creations worship him and suffer for faults in his design, whilst giving no proof of his very existence to his followers, and sending any who dare defy him into a fiery pit of death and nastiness for faults in his design, makes much more sense than an objectively recorded, studied, and tested scientific theory.

Just because someone says there's a god doesn't mean there is one.

If I insisted that the moon is actually made of a pale-green cheeselike substance and that it is populated entirely by tapdancing martians wearing thongs and enough people believed that I was right, would that make it true?

I'm not saying the gods are present in the real universe, only that they exist (as concepts if nothing else)

The concept of gods has been created; not actual gods. Not to mention the fact that that goes completely against one of the central points of a god; that it created you, not the other way around.

This may be more accurate, but what i was trying to get was that the gods were created my man and therefore exist as fictional characters

I agree, a magic sparkly man in the sky who came from nothingness and then proceeded to create everything in some bored whim, whilst also demanding that his creations worship him and suffer for faults in his design, whilst giving no proof of his very existence to his followers, and sending any who dare defy him into a fiery pit of death and nastiness for faults in his design, makes much more sense than an objectively recorded, studied, and tested scientific theory.

Firstly, I do not hold half of what you said about god to be true (in particular hell)
Secondly I have no issue with the 'objectivly recorded, studied and tested scienific theory'. I have a problem with the bit where on almost no evidence a major group of animals turned into another major group of animals.

P.S anyone who gets picky over the words I used you will get ignored

a major group of animals did not turn into another major group of animals. GUESS WHAT the phyla didn't exist before, you know, the creatures evolved in completely separate directions.

THEN the phyla sort of happened and stuff. AND IT GOES ON AND ON until species level. At first there would ONLY have been species and then as it got larger blah blah blah.

Firstly, I do not hold half of what you said about god to be true (in particular hell)

Doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Secondly I have no issue with the 'objectivly recorded, studied and tested scienific theory'. I have a problem with the bit where on almost no evidence a major group of animals turned into another major group of animals.

... You have no idea what evolution is. Go learn yourself some science before pretending you know it.

What evolution isn't: "Cat turns into dog", which makes about as much sense as "magic man with unrivaled knowledge and power appears out of nothingness".
What evolution is: The slow change of animal species based on what survives best in its environment. If animal A has larger ears than animal B, and they live in a hot climate, animal B is more likely to die through heat stroke or dehydration, whilst animal A releases more heat from its body, keeping it cooler; therefore animal A will get to reproduce more than dead animal B, and his large ear genes will get passed to the next generation. Where variation occurs is when animal B survives and reproduces, or simply moves to a more comfortable climate, thus meaning they have to adapt to this environment. Rinse and repeat until you get two completely different species adapted for two completely different habitats.

Although this is overly simplified and I'm sure someone's going to rush in and slap me across the face for some folly in my explanation.

Not to mention the fact that evolution is recorded and tested, be it through DNA similarities in animals or even the selective breeding humans put domesticated animals through for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom