• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Drawsborough

Ahhh I haven't commented here in ages D:

I love the little Dragonair icons, they're pretty. And the colouring is pretty neat, too, especially if you were using a mouse (whenever I try and colour with a mouse I end up with wobbly outlines everywhere because the mouse keeps falling off the edge of the mousemat or something stupid ;>>). And the Garurumon is cool~ You can see the shading on it better than on the BlackGarurumon.

The colours you used on WUE's Pokesona came out really well, and I love all the curly fur all over Atnura, it looks groovy. x3 The Flying-type Cubone and Fire-type Linoone are favorites on this page - the beak-like skull and alternate bone that the Cubone's holding are both good detail, and the colouring on the Linoone's fire is awesome~ Almost like lava. You've done a pretty good job with the Arcanine sprite copy, too, it's nearly exact but looks much better being properly coloured (the sprite colours, close up, are really weird shades).

Curly fur IS groovy. :3 And wow, it really looks like lava? (Although colouring those avatars with the mouse hurt my hand slightly. D:) And I'm glad to know the Arcanine sprite is near exact! I really tried with that one. Thaaank you~

So Cirrus and I were talking... and well, somehow we started to talk about Arylettjumpers. Which is me if I were a jumper/sweater. XD I'd be the best damn floofy curly jumper out there. Made only for corgis:

Corgi in an Arylettjumper.
(I'm such a nutcase for drawing this. XD)

And Cirrus also inspired this next one:

Queen Arylett.

Just... don't ask.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the fire-type Linoone. Linoone's one of my absolute favourite Pokemon, and the Fire-version is so awesome; I adore those ears <3

The Arcanine is very pretty; the shading is good and the pose is exactly like the DP sprite, so well done. I wish I could copy things that well.

I really love the newest pic with the corgi; the feet and paws look excellent, and the head angle is really difficult to draw well, especially with animals with long-ish snouts, but s/he looks great. :D

You really liked the ears? Ahahaha, Linoone's one of my favourites too, and I just thought it would be perfect to make into a Fire-type.

I tried to imitate the drawing very closely to the sprite, so the shading is the same as the sprite as well. But yay, I'm a good copier!

Whoo~ I used an actual corgi picture as a reference and I'm glad I've improved on my paws. Thaank you, Danni. :3

So I have a very minor update! I made myself this spiffy avatar (done digitally), of my Pokesona, which I am currently debating whether or not to use. Let's have a look:

ArylettthePoochyena.png

I want an Arylettjumper :D They look floofy (yes, floofy). The Corgi's nose, ears and paws are all well drawn here. Colouring's spiffy, as always.
Queen Arylett has a Queen Elizabeth I look about her, to me at least. Cool crown.

Eee~ The Pokesona avatar is awesome. The shading on the fur gives it a more realistic look and I love the colouring in th eye/glasses (it's all sort of shimmery and glassy). Like the expression there too. :3

Arylettjumpers are floofy~ (I know, I wear one on my head all the time!) ;;Gives Kinova an Arylettjumper;; :D

Oooh, I'm glad to know it looked like an actual Queen! I did my job, then. (Whee, the crown IS awesome.)

It really looks shimmery and glassy? Yay~ I was trying to imitate the look of my glasses. And thank you. :D (Avatars are fun though and I really like how that one came out, so maybe I'll make a lot more.)

As usual, your coloring is nice, and I like Queen Arylett~

The shading on your icon is very nice, but the lineart bothers me a bit. It's a bit blocky; if you do more digital things, you might want to try tapering the ends of your lines after you draw, and editing them so that some parts are thinner than others. It helps a lot. Seems alright other than that, though!

Hmm, I see what you mean. I'll work more on the lineart. Using a mouse is a bit challenging, but I'm sure if I practice my control more I'll be able to do better outlines for future avatars. (And also, if I stop being lazy. XD) And I'm glad you like the shading~ I really like it too. Thank you Mhalsy. ^^ (I'm working on some more avatars, so I may edit this post to include them.)

EDIT: Got one finished! It's Umbreon and it has a glow around it. You can't really see it in Dewgong style, but in the darker styles you definately can.

Umbreon.png

Last edited:
I have a huge update! Whoo~ Whoo~ Okay, I'll shut up now and let you look.

First up is a Creation revision! Ah, I haven't done one of those in a long time, have I? Well, I FINALLY got this one done. Take a look at the new and improved Sineer:

C35 Sineer R.

And here's another type change. Water-Type Onyx:
Onyx as a Water-type.[/IMG]

Since you guys seemed to like my Arcanine sprite drawing so much, I did another one! Here's the D/P Charmeleon sprite:

[URL="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/Arylett-Dawnsborough/Drawsborough/CharmeleonDPSprite.jpg"]Charmelon D/P sprite.

And wow, this is my 1,000th post! Whoo~

Last edited:
So I've been experimenting, yeah. Practicing my humans and trying different things and poses. And guess what that means? Yep! New art~ (And yes, the art you are about to see is painfully sketchy. Blech!)

You get 1,000 Awesome Points if you can tell me who this is (I was trying out a sort of "Yay!" pose, a happy one):

Ahaha~!

And here's another pose I drew, I call it a "bashful" sort of pose. Yeah, this is how I actually look, dress, and act in real life:

Arylett.

I'm also working on another human picture, but I'm not quite finished with that one. So I'll have it up later~

Last edited:
Wow, the Charmeleon looks really good. :3 The claws are so well-drawn, the shading looks pretty, and you've drawn its head really well. And Sineer looks great. I like its design and the colours you've used.

D'aww, the corgi is so cute. I like the colouring and shading and I would so buy an Arylett jumper if they were for sale and I had a corgi.

The Umbreon is very pretty. Its visible eye looks byuuteeful. :D The Poochyena's fur is really cool, and I love the way you've coloured its/her (seeing as it's your Pokésona, do you call it a her? Sorry. xD; I don't know much about these things >.>;) glasses.

I love your creations so much; the detail on Sineer is awesome, and I love water-Onix's design; it kinda looks like an Onix crossed with a Huntail. Kinda. But the colouring on all of these is so bright and pretty~

Rinoa! Do I win? She's adorable here~
I like your humans; you're good at faces and overall proportions; heads and legs and things all tend to be the right shape/length/whatever. Do you use refrences for them?

Flazeah~ Thank you, I'm glad you like the claws. ^^ And I would so give you an Arylettjumper if you had a corgi and if they were for sale. XD And yep, Poochyena's a girl. Whoo, those glasses were sort of hard to do, I was really trying to make them look like my actual glasses.

Dannichu, my dear, you have just won 1,000 Awesome Points! ;;Awards;; Water Onix was sort of based on Huntail, I used it to help me out. And you really like my Creations? Aww, thank you.

References? I didn't really use any. I sort of just drew them, trying this new techinque for drawing humans that I learned recently. Whoo~ It worked! I'm very happy to see that my proportions are good! Thank you, thank you~ :D

Last edited:
The human is good - I especially like the legs, which are the right thickness and length, which is pretty hard to get right, but the head is a little on the small side and oddly-shaped. With the chin where it is, you should be able to see both her eyes from the angle. She definetly looks like a Mightyena, though; her ears are <3

Amini is cuuute. Much cuter than Zubat. I like the ears and wings and the way you coloured her makes her look all fuzzy~
I'm seeing a nose, a mouth and then teeth coming out of the chin, though. Are one of the red blobs markings, or are they supposed to be spikes coming out of the jaw?

Amawt's wings are gorgeous. I love the tail and hind legs, too.

Thank you, Danni~ <3 Yeah, I knew there was something wrong with it. The head. Hmm, I'll have to remember that for the future~

Eep, the teeth look like they're coming out of the chin? Oh dear. That was just me being lazy and not drawing the bottom part of the mouth. D: One of the red blobs is the nose. And the one above it is a spike coming out near the nose. I'm sorry it wasn't very clear. ;;Needs to draw things less ambiguously;; But I'm glad you think it's cuter than Zubat~ :D

Ooh, the wings and the tail and hind legs are gorgeous? Thank you, thank you again~

Human heads are amazingly difficult to draw. The most annoying thing is if you get something even slightly off, it's really obvious because people see human faces every day, while you could mess up, say, a bird's beak a little and nobody'd care.

Like everything else, it takes one helluva lot of practice DX

Aaah the Umbreon head is all glowy and bright - it looks really good, especially on the dark backgrounds, as you said.

Coloured Creation! :D I'm pretty sure I say this in every post, but I really do love your colouring. x3 The vivid green on Sineer makes him much more impressive and shows off his design with the yellow outlines. Onix looks pretty good with the watery colours, and the fins are positioned well.

Your people seem to remind me slightly of Quentin Blake illustrations, but I can't place why. That's a good thing, though. XP I like their expressions~

The Mightyena-human-version is quite well proportioned and I like her hair, ears and eye~ The only thing I'd say about it is that she's sort of... sat weirdly. If she is sat at all - it kind of looks like she's perched in mid-air, and her arms are held quite stiffly in front of her; they could be resting on her knees, I suppose, but they look uncomfortable where they are.

Amawt is awesome~ I really like the ears and the wings - the colouring on the main body looks quite convincing as fur, too, or maybe that's just me. It looks great, anyways; the same can be said for his prevo but in a less impressive way. x3;

Hmm, that makes a lot of sense, Dannichu! Yes... I'll practice my heads more.

And Kinovacakes, you are so awesome, thank you~ (who is Quentin Blake, by the way? He is a super awesome artist, right? He HAS to be, if you are comparing him to ME, the great Arylett. No seriously, I'm not great.) Yeah though, I agree with you there, Human Atnura's pose is a bit weird and the arms are a bit stiff. (I was too lazy to draw something for her to sit on. D:) So I shall practice more in the human area with these criticisms in mind!

...Aw, but I don't have any new art for you guys. I just have some more old Creations from that tattered notebook of mine. By the way, the reason I haven't been posting old sketchy Creations is because I lost the notebook, but then I found it again~ So to celebrate, I'm posting a few more! Isn't that great? (I'm sorry, I'll have newer stuff later, I promise. It's just that school's started and things have been a bit hectic. I'm still working on that Arylett in crazy clothes drawing I said I was going to do~)

Here's a weird bird thing with an odd name, Strange Masterpiece. (I gave it this name because that's what I thought it was, a strange abstract masterpiece of a bird.) It's special because it's the first Creation I ever made:

C1 Strange Masterpiece.

And this one makes NO sense at all, really, I have no idea where I was going at with it. Canine thing, maybe? Doing a handstand... right... Don't worry though, in the revision, its design will be a lot less nonsensical. (But I'm sad to tell you that there are Creations weirder than this) So here's Creation 2, Claton:

C2 Claton.

Lastly, here's another odd one. I called it Leaf Dancer, because that's the first thing I thought after I drew it. (you'll find with a lot of these that the names don't make much sense) It's Creation 20:

C20 Leaf Dancer.

There ya are, people, gaze upon my bizarre two year old art. Gaze, I do say!

Last edited:
Aww, they're so cute :D I'm not sure it that's what you were going for, but I think they're cute anyways. I'm looking forward to the coloured versions of these, especially Strange Masterpiece because he's awesome :D

who is Quentin Blake, by the way?

He is awesome. He did the illustrations for most of Roald Dhal's books. He had (has? I think he's still alive...) a very distinct style which I adore because I grew up on Dhal's books <3

Back
Top Bottom