• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Georgia public schools to offer Bible elective

Mirry

http://cityonahillpress.com/article.php?id=623

The idea is that the classes are going to be from an objective, not a spiritual, point-of-view and that the focus is going to be the role of Christianity in history.

In theory I think this sounds like a useful class, seeing as how references to the Bible are all around, especially in literature, and it can be useful to understand them, even if you believe the Bible is hogwash. On the other hand, I think it likely that the teachers will not be objective, and it could become a let's-indoctrinate-the-students class instead. Also, I think that offering any sort of Bible class and no classes about other religious texts is inherently biased, since it's implying that the Bible is more important than, say, the Koran.

Any other thoughts? Is this a good idea or a bad one?

So long as it's an elective, I don't see a problem. A lot of schools have religious study classes as electives. If it is from more of a historical, objective standpoint, I'd probably find it pretty interesting. :V

I can see where you're coming from with them only offering a class for the Bible, though.

Last edited:
Mm, I think as long as it's voluntary they should be allowed to do it, but somehow, they should make sure it isn't indoctrination or something.

“There is so much about our civilization and culture that cannot be understood without understanding the role of Christianity,” said Robin Pennock, deputy schools superintendent of Muscogee County, where Bible classes have been approved for next fall. “The forces that the Bible represents are still woven totally through our literature and our civilization.”

As much as I hate this, it's kind of true. We have "In God We Trust" on our money and "one nation, under God" in our pledge.

And about the saying that the Bible is more important than the Qu'ran, well, America is predominantly christian, I don't think that it's saying the Bible is more important, just probably trying to appeal to more people.

I'm thinkin' the same thing as everyone else. If it's voluntary, okay.

As much as I hate this, it's kind of true. We have "In God We Trust" on our money and "one nation, under God" in our pledge.
That's always bothered me.

Just a little.

Well, this doesn't really surprise me for Georgia. XP

I think it's kind of cool, IF the class were unbiased and remained an elective. Hell, I'd take it.

I suppose you could argue that historically the Bible is more important than the Koran for Americans. And I actually would probably take the class too if I were sure it would be objective and not a tiresome lecture about how I should become a Christian. I guess also the fact that it's Georgia makes me kind of wary.

As long as it's optional and doesn't turn into a class for indoctrination, I'm cool with it, like everyone else is saying.

Elective MEANS optional. Unless, of course, if sometime in the future colleges start picking up people who studied the Bible in middle school.

I'm okay with this. I'm sure some teachers won't treat this like a class, which would be problematic. I'm also worried that if they hired an Atheist some poor god-loving kid is going to run home to mommy because the bad man doesn't like the bible. Just keep this in Georgia and I'll be fine.

I think it's stupid until they put other religions in there, like the study of various ancient Mythologies and how that's all in the bible 'cause they weren't too creative.

Norse mythology elective or classical mythology elective would be awesome. Egyptian mythology too.

I love those stories. I don't take them as fact, but I really love them. I actually did do a classical studies elective in high school. There's a lot in that section of literature that's really cool writing (even if it's all a work of fiction).

I want a Fisk elective.
Except I don't think we have any representatives in the US... Hrrm.

Anyway, I know what you guys are getting at, but let's face it - the Bible is a lot more relevant to American society than Norse or Greek mythology. Nowhere near as interesting, but nonetheless...! I do like the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil though. And Satan, of course. He may be a bad guy, but you've got to admire his guts. Funny I should mention him in a topic about Georgia.

Still, like people have already said... a little too much room for bias, I think. I wouldn't actually know - I've never been on that side of the Atlantic - but from what I've been told, it seems like finding an unbiased teacher for this sort of thing would be pretty hard.

I am not against a Bible elective as long as it's academic and literate and doesn't take anything written there as fact. It'd be like a bible lit class which would be better.

My school has an elective like that called Bible and its Influence. It's not a Christian class, it just teaches about what the bible says and how it has effected the world throughout history. I think it's a pretty useful class.

I don't think the fact it's Bible-based is saying that the Bible is worth more than other religions; they've just found it more contexually relevant. Like how in cooking class you learn to make predominantly Western dishes and in PE you play sports that are typically played in your country.
Plus, I imagine more people are qualified to teach Judeo-Christianity than, say, Shinto, which would make finding people to teach the massive spectrum of religions that there are rather hard.

I think it's pretty cool, and you have the oppurtunity to study other religions/ancient mythologies at university/college.

That's true. You probably won't find many Muslims or Hindus in Georgia (or, rather, people who know much about such religions). :P

Back
Top Bottom