• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How do you pronounce 2010?

Re: How do you/will you pronounce 2010?

I've never heard this 'noughties' thing; how is that pronounced? Because I keep reading it like 'naughties' and it's amusing me.

What I wanna know is how they'll make those glasses they sell in New York (like so) when it gets to be like 2015. They can't work with the 9's and 0's any more.

I've never heard this 'noughties' thing; how is that pronounced? Because I keep reading it like 'naughties' and it's amusing me.

That's how it's said. Wait: people have been calling it that for ten years now and you've only just heard of it? xD

I'll be calling it twenty-ten. I called 2009 and such 'oh-nine' anyway. Who can be bothered saying two-thou-sand-and-ten? Twenty-ten is half the syllables; '09 is a third of the syllables of two-thou-sand-and-nine.

eehee lazy talking ftw

I've never heard of the "noughties" thing either. Maybe it's a region specific-thing.

I always say two thousand ten. I'll also say two thousand eleven and two thousand twelve. But probably somewhere in the mid-teens I'll end up just saying it the short way, mostly because it's a mouthful to say, "two thousand and seventeen."

I'll definitely say twenty twenty, though, and on in the same way until 2100, assuming I live that long.

I haven't really heard anyone call the decade that ended like an hour ago "the noughties" in any context other than "hey, here's a way to refer to this decade: the noughties!" but I have heard the 'aughts a couple times. The latter term is slightly less retarded than the former. Seriously, "noughties" is HEINOUSLY retarded.

Similar to Furret, I will probably call this year "two thousand and ten", slurring the two "and"s together so it comes out like "two thousanenten".

Twenty-ten or two-thousand-ten.

"Twenty-ten", and I'm going back and calling the last decade "twenty hundred" through "twenty-oh-nine" if I can get in the habit.

EDIT: On second thought, I might stick with "two thousand" over "twenty hundred", but everything past that is changing if I can manage it.

Last edited:

Comes out naturally as 'twenty-ten' for me. So the decade will probably be the 'twenty-tens'.

The 2000s I call the aughties.

The 1900s I call the 'nineteen-hundreds' because referring to the separate decades of the 20th century is common compared to how often I refer to specefic decades of other centuries.

Ooooh, ambiguous!

EDIT: alternatively WHY DO PEOPLE WRITE TWENTY-TEN WITHOUT HYPHENS :(

EDIT: alternatively WHY DO PEOPLE WRITE TWENTY-TEN WITHOUT HYPHENS :(
The "twenty" and "ten" are separate! Compare "nineteen ninety-nine", which has exactly one hyphen.

EDIT: I think I tend to hyphenate everything only if there wouldn't be any hyphens otherwise...? I wrote "twenty-ten" up in that last post but I don't like "nineteen-ninety-nine".

Well, in my language, I say "tjugohundratio", which translates to twenty-ten, so I guess that's it :)

The "twenty" and "ten" are separate! Compare "nineteen ninety-nine", which has exactly one hyphen.

EDIT: I think I tend to hyphenate everything only if there wouldn't be any hyphens otherwise...? I wrote "twenty-ten" up in that last post but I don't like "nineteen-ninety-nine".

But those are the only two numbers!! IT LOOKS WRONG AND DIRTY

Two thousand and ten, but I pronounce it more like "Twothousanenten." Maybe it's a Midwestern accent thing.

It might be. I say it the exact same way. But I imagine I'll start using twenty-ten eventually.

Back
Top Bottom