• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Is anyone else also like this?

Ether's Bane

future Singaporean
Pronoun
he
I know that many of you would rather use your favourite Pokémon instead of the most useful/powerful/etc. However, I'm the opposite - I prefer using Pokémon which I don't necessarily like, but which are likely to net me a win (Ferrothorn, Volcarona, Gengar, etc.). Are any of you also like this?

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not really sure. I don't use my absolute favorites, but I tend to use Pokémon that I at least like somewhat. (It helps that I like most 'mons.) But I also like to keep my team fairly balanced and easier to win with, too. For example, in White I had trouble properly using Whimsicott, one of my absolute favorite Pokémon, and boxed it because it she just kept getting KO'ed. Same thing with my Swoobat, actually. So I opted for a Hydreigon, which I was fairly neutral towards at the time, instead.

Not always I use favorite Pokémon because they not all fit in the same team, but I tend to use something which looks at least acceptable in any of my teamslots.

But many competitively good Pokémon are terrible for in-game... And there's no fun in using the absolute strongest Pokémon each time, since you always end with the same team.

If I hate it, I won't use it. Simple as that.

however, there are very few pokemon I actually hate, and the ones that are on that list (like Mothim, for example) aren't good anyway.

I basically use whatever I like and works. Which may sound surprising from a competitive mind, but I still plan out my team ahead of time and occasionally adjust to pitfalls.

I make it a point to have a team with at least three or more pokemon I haven't used before.

I'm the type to stick with my favorites. It doesn't leave me with the strongest team, but I'm not into the competitive stuff.

If I really dislike them, I probably won't use them... I've never been much of a "competitive" player.

But if I use them a lot and they are useful and good, I often grow to like them, too.

Generally, I use Pokemon that I like. And I like them, because of how well they can fight. Example: The first time I played Platinum, I went for a Rhyperior. I had never used one before. When it came to the fight with Flint and Volkner at the Fight Area, I literally OHKOed everything.
Also, I feel as if I must cover all/as many as possible types in my team.

I'll try to use pokemon I've never tried at first whenever I new game, but I'll eventually just use most of the pokemon I've used before sooner or later.

If I dislike a Pokémon I will never use it. All Pokémon I use are ones that I am particularly fond of - some of them are very strong, like Arcanine, but some of them less so, like Pidgeot/Swanna for comparison between old & new - they both don't nearly match Arcanine's overall power (nearly 100 points difference in base stat total).

Besides, I like most Pokémon, just some I find harder to use, which is another factor. As my sig suggests, I used Muk in Pokémon Red, he could always cause trouble with poison and the like and I preferred it to Weezing. Yet since Gen 3, Weezing has been given Levitate, whilst Muk still gets KOd by one Earthquake, the one negative point I found he had back in the day. Since then I have never used Muk in my team even though he was there in the originals - I have gone off him because Earthquake is now more common and I have had to come to accept that Weezing is just better.

I'd say I'm a bit of both, as I just said, I started to go off Muk when I realised he was not quite as strong as I imagined. But my old Venusaur is irreplaceable even though it is weak when compared to other starters because of personal opinions. Although I do love my Serperior...

I tend to be drawn to favorites less and power more for random match up settings, anyways.

:|

...though I try to go for powerhouses I also 'like' the 'looks' of and stuff xD; But I haven't played for awhile really.

Cool thread by the way.

What I usually do is plan my team up ahead. I have used my three favourite pokemon (Zangoose, Gengar, Quagsire) very often, but I try to use Pokemon I like and have never used before.

And if i can only think of 5 pokemon I haven't used before, I'll end up using one of the three pokemon previously mentioned.

I find this is what Nuzlockes are really great for - they force you to use Pokemon you've never really thought about that much, and when it turns out one is especially great (in-game, not necessarily competitively), you end up loving it.

Pokemon me and my housemates have fallen in love with through use in Nuzlockes: Golduck, Kingler, Medicham, Scolipede, Leavanny, Tropius.

I actually never use Pokemon I dislike, although they are not in abundance. Most Pokemon I do dislike are weak or have terrible movesets anyway. And if I like a weak Pokemon, I'll just GTS until I find a level hundred version so it doesn't really matter how strong it really is stat-wise.

Myself, I tend to use a combination of useful and unique to my team meaning I have never really used it for a prolonged period of time if at all. There is also some fondness mixed in there.

Ex. I have never used a hoppip/Skiploom before so now I have a Skiploom in my SS team as my grass pokemon. Another unique member of my SS team is my slowpoke but he may not be permanent, I am pondering at one point training my Drowzee. Also a pokemon I have never actually used.

Back
Top Bottom