• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Looking for a new web browser.

All these posts and only one mention of Opera? That's a shame...

Well, anyway, my vote would got to Opera, since that's what I use after moving from Internet Explorer and Firefox. I like Opera because it's very 'computer-friendly'. It's low on memory, three times less so than Firefox, I think, and it's acclaimed to be the fastest browser available. Both of those are something I need on my 5 year old laptop with just over half a Gigabyte of RAM.

If you're running a a better computer than that, though, Firefox is probably the best bet. The customisation and the add-ons are really great when you find ones that are useful.

Other than that, I can't say I've tried anything else. But, if you're only moving away from Internet Explorer, you'll see an improvement with whatever you pick. Even Safari. xD

Well, I just downloaded Firefox, and so far it works great. And holy crap it tells you if you have spelling mistakes. I'm about to download some add-ons now.

EDIT: Oh my gosh smooth wheel is just simply fantastic!

All these posts and only one mention of Opera? That's a shame...

Safari's a better browser by far, but it's still blehApple. And if one does go the closed-source route, Opera is probably the superior choice.

If you want another, you should get Opera, but it is blocked by Windows Firewall sometimes.

I actually really like Opera, but lack of extensions makes me sad. Yeah, yeah, third-party extensions break browsers, blah. I want my Read it Later and I don't want it wasting a chunk of screen real estate as a sidebar, damn you ;-;

Smooth Wheel is pretty awesome, and Bulbapedia is actually pretty cool looking, unlike in IE. I guess I'm going to stick to Firefox for now.

I don't use Opera. I just think it's pretty good. Main turn-off for me is closed source.

I'd sorta like to try Lynx. Seems like it might be handy to have around.

Why are so many people using Hotmail! (Also fuck yeah Firefox, etc etc)

Mostly because I have enough friends that still do. I have a YIM and AIM also, and run it all on Trillian. I'm not the type to impose just one IM on anyone who wants to IM me, I'd rather just accommodate.
also when I record LPs with guests I use Windows Live Messenger's webcam + manycam to pull it off.

Last edited:
Mostly because I have enough friends that still do. I have a YIM and AIM also, and run it all on Trillian. I'm not the type to impose just one IM on anyone who wants to IM me, I'd rather just accommodate.
Makes sense, but what does that have to do with what you use for email? o.O

Last edited:
Makes sense, but what does that have to do with what you use for email? o.O

oh derp
Occasionally one of my MSN contacts will send something to that e-mail because it's the only one of mine that they know. I only ever check my hotmail inbox if something like that happens.

I would suggest Chromium if you get tired or frustrated with Firefox. It's the open source base which Google Chrome is built upon, and thus is not controlled by the company. I switched to it after Firefox became a complete memory hog, and found it to be a faster, more concise browser.

Well, at this point in the thread, all of the big names have already been mentioned, and honestly, when it comes to web browsers, that's likely all you'll want to deal with. Every browser has its quirks and irregularities, and if you're designing a webpage, you won't be able to test it with all of the browsers out there (not personally, unless you're really dedicated and you have way too much free time on your hands), so it's the big ones that're gonna get support.
As we have already established, Internet Explorer is crap. This should be common knowledge. Still, it's one of the big names on the market these days.
Moving on, most other people use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. I use Firefox, personally, because I got used to using it before Chrome ever came around, and because some part of me worries about putting so much faith in one internet company. I mean, I trust Google for my RSS and my searching, but I'm not sure I trust it with all that and my browser history.
Really, though, either Chrome or Firefox is a good idea.

Opera is an okay browser, I guess, but I've never used it extensively myself, and it's been so long since I've used it at all, actually, that all of the complaints that I could make are likely outdated now. Still, it just didn't strike my fancy, but it's still usually fairly well supported, and if I couldn't use Firefox or Chrome in a given situation, Opera'd probably be my next choice.

Safari. Safari. I don't do Safari. It's got a neat name that invokes thoughts of adventure, and grand new sights, and wonderful experiences... I don't think I've ever enjoyed using Safari, though. Maybe it's because I hate macs (I need two mouse buttons at all times, if not more! Ctrl+Click is not an acceptable workaround! And keep my keyboard shortcuts where they belong!) and that's mostly where I've used it, but also consider that it was originally designed for macs, and using it on Windows would be less than ideal. I'm not sure it's as widely supported as Opera, anyway.

Lynx? I wouldn't even bother with. I haven't even heard it mentioned in ages, so I'd expect lots of issues with sites displaying improperly and things being unsupported. Konqueror I've heard about a lot more often, but it's still such a small slice of the market that I'd reccomend staying away from it.

(psst, lynx is a joke answer.)

konquerer is just another gecko shell, iirc, so you won't get anything particularly better than firefox + plugins.

Why are so many people using Hotmail! (Also fuck yeah Firefox, etc etc)
because it's the first online email account I ever registered and 90% of everything that isn't Super Important Real Life Business or shopping stuff is directed to said account? is there even anything particularly wrong with Hotmail apart from the fact that it's owned by the Great Satan Microsoft?

because it's the first online email account I ever registered and 90% of everything that isn't Super Important Real Life Business or shopping stuff is directed to said account? is there even anything particularly wrong with Hotmail apart from the fact that it's owned by the Great Satan Microsoft?
It's pretty much the shittiest free e-mail service.

(EDIT: with a large userbase)

Back
Top Bottom