• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Male Breastfeeding

Before I start talking about pointless anecdotes I will say hey that's kinda cool but blah blah what everyone else said blah blah. You know, about people not really wanting to. Er. But it sounds like a great topic to bring up over dinner!

(then again, how long does a woman need to get over carrying the baby?)
Well, a (wind musician) teacher of mine once told me she had a concert scheduled on her pregnancy due date and they were thinking "oh, hey, maybe we could get someone else in to cover for you", but she had the baby a few days before and apparently performing was totally fine. Or more than fine! Because it's uh, kinda hard to play in the later months of pregnancy so I'd assume she would have been out of practice for at least 2 months or so.
Craaazy.
Anyway, it probably depends on ...things, but apparently it's not too much of a big deal! I mean, I never really hear about recovery afterwards. Except from stretch marks, but that doesn't exactly impede you a lot, eh...

(then again, how long does a woman need to get over carrying the baby?)

I think it really depends on the mother's own body, health, etc. I know my mom took at least a month and still have some back problems now because she overworked, while one of her friend's neighbor was out running with her baby after a day.

So women can be ready to go back to work whilst the baby's still breastfeeding, even if it's not always the case. That's +1 for male breastfeeding then, especially if the most significant long-term delay to recovery is depression, which might interfere with the mother's childrearing anyway.

I didn't think it would take too long to recover, but I wasn't sure, because I don't know anyone who's had a baby any time recently well enough to ask, nor did I have any reason to until this thread.

Well, it just pretty much depends.
Some women go through horrendous things during pregnancy (vagina to anus taint-tearing, anyone?), and others go through months of depression, while some are back in work the next day.

I could say that given the North American/European mindset that inducing this to culture would be extrordinarily difficult. And cultural influences such as this won't help it.

Personally, and not meaning to be offending or anything, I can't see this working out well. Human society (or at least that of first world countries) has a paticular mindset for genders, and females are essentialy put in the position that it's their task (still not meaning to be offending).

Despite this, I'd see it as an easier way in public (as long as men aren't growing breasts, I'm sory, the one Americn Dad episode scarred me on that regard) as less people get nutsy if a man has his upper trso exposed, where-as it is seemingly offensive if a woman exposes her breast, and people seem to notice breastfeeding wmen in public (I assume) more than needed.

Anyways, opinions are opinions, and this is what I have to say.

Well I mean I'm pretty sure most American guys have breasts anyway.
Okay, sorry, I didn't mean that.

Although I don't see why breastfeeding in public is such a taboo? It's like chill, guys, she's feeding her kid!

Quite frankly, I didn't know that me and the rest of the male community could produce milk.

I think it all comes down to a fear of the unknown for the same reason people are against gay/lesbian, transsexuality,etc. (as stated on page 1 by Music Dragon)

I personnally wouldn't, for a reason i ignore for now. I think it's normal that the father-child relationship is different from the mother-child relationship, and it should stay the way it is.

Also, another question, i know that the breast requires a "bag" (excuse my poor vocabulary) to stock milk, so maybe the fathers taking the said hormones would... grow breasts?

Is it tested?

Wrong. Milk glands are just mutated sweat glands; the size of human breasts is just a sexual adaptation. The breasts would swell, but there would be no woman-like breasts.

And yes, it is tested. I've heard of some men just willing it, rather than taking hormones, though.

Yeah... ok. Well im certainly not against it, but eh. I think I better not try it myself. I try to avoid any unnecessary hormones (be it for milk or muscles).

Back
Top Bottom