• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters

Cryssie

Ebonclad Enigma
Because it is never too early to start thinking about NaNo. :D

For those of you who have been living under a rock, this is NaNoWriMo in a nutshell: you write a fifty thousand word novel during the frenzied month of November. That's about 1667 words per day. Go on, you know you want to.

From my LJ (because this says pretty much all I have to say about NaNo right now, and I'd just be repeating myself and wasting time to rewrite it):

Despite the best efforts of the local spider population to reduce me to a sobbing, shrieking wreck, lately I have been a mood that could actually pass for relative contentment if you hold it at arm's length and squint a bit.

And in the gap left by the very slight shrinking of my October-related anxiety, November has decided to vie for a little attention, too.

Firstly, NaNoWriMo. Which is celebrating its tenth anniversary this year, in fact.

For one thing, I need to start putting together an idea now before October arrives and keeps me too busy to think about novelling. I'm feeling a little out of interesting ideas right now, and am almost tempted to retry Heaven Sent (my poor neglected black comedy-ish story that never got beyond a single short chapter) as my novel for this year, but recycling an old idea isn't entirely in the spirit of NaNo, is it? I need some inspiration and I need it soon.

For another thing, this will be my fourth year participating in NaNo. I kinda wish I could have been a part of it since the beginning (although a 50000 word novel at eight years old would have been some feat to achieve). It is awesome. It is light-hearted, motivational, creative fun and I now happily hold November as practically sacred novel-writing time. I love NaNoWriMo and everything it stands for.

Which is why I'd like to give a little back this year in the form of a donation and maybe grabbing a t-shirt or poster. I'd love to give a big donation, but having no income of my own yet means that I couldn't really afford to. Still, I figure if I eat cheap instant noodles now and then (or whatever is a step down from what I'll be living off most of the time at uni), Gumshoe-style, I can save a small amount every week. A little under five pounds a week for a year would total £250 saved, which should roughly equate to $500, which is this. (I'd like to donate this year, though, so I'd probably be eating the noodles retrospectively.)

Maybe I am being just slightly mad, but that seems to be in the spirit of NaNoWriMo as well. And the instant noodles.

Now, secondly... World of Warcraft. My subscription ran out some time ago, and I promised my guildies that I would be back before the year was out. I missed my chance at the very beginning of September (the latest I could possibly get two more months without it interfering with NaNo), so that puts my next opportunity at the beginning of December.

Problem? Wrath of the Lich King, the upcoming expansion. The release date has been announced, and it is the 13th of November, smack dab in the middle of NaNo. All my happy ideas of levelling to 80 with my guildies, discovering all the new content alongside them and (most of) the rest of the world, and staying on the glorious crest of the Warcraft wave for once... all dashed unless I am willing to sacrifice this year's NaNoWriMo*.

And you know what? I'm not. Northrend can wait 17 days; my November is set aside for literary adventures only, and those fifty thousand words aren't going to write themselves.

I'll can put aside the price of the two-month game time card that I could have bought any time between the end of my last subscription and November 13th and it can go towards my NaNo donation. That's at least an Extraordinary Helper donation right there. Roughly a whole month of retrospective noodle-eating!

I feel better about myself already. :D

(But I think you all know what I'll be doing when December rolls round. :P)

* Or unless I can write 4166.6 words per day for the first twelve days of November and finish more than half a month early. Hahahah. Not that I won't fiercely attempt to do so given the Warcrafty incentive and adequate caffeine, but really now.
Gogo novelly discussion!

After throwing out my thousand and one first drafts of the first chapter of my novel, I've decided to give up and participate in NaNoWriMo this year with that as my novel. x3

I gave up after 10k last year (first time actually participating and not forgetting about it), so I'm determined to do better this time. :D Bring on the ignor...

Oh wait I have Highers this year. ;~; Uh-oh.

This has been on my mind sometimes recently too. November last year was just fantastic in every way, though I didn't feel some extreme relief when I hit 50,000, I just sat there speechless. And then I never touched it again and thus it still remains unfinished. D:

Nonetheless those horrible falling-behind days were actually so incredibly fun, just being able to bullshit my wordcount back up with mindless drivel that was actually quite entertaining. It's so great to feel like a team with all the others doing it, and fighting on together in attempt to reach 50,000, but not without a bit of "haha, I'm doing better than that person, woohoo!" on my part.

The idea I had this year isn't so hot. But I can't think of anything else. Last year's ended up not going to any plan whatsoever; most of the main characters were introduced at around the 30,000 mark, and, also against my plan, all of them other than the main main character ended up dying. Although, this one minor character who was meant to guide the protagonist through a network of mountain tunnels ended up being a main character himself, as they spent an insane amount of time in those tunnels. I could make anything I wanted happen there, so it was always easy to pump up my wordcount, so I am kind of thinking about doing a similar sort of anything-can-happen scenario this year... Of course, I wasn't gonna let this other character get off without losing anything, so his arm got ripped off and his son got eaten, naturally.

I'm thinking of showing people this year. I'm always scared of showing people my writing because I fear people's opinions on anything I do (though it's never so bad once I hear them), but I think it's about time I let some people see it, huh? :P

It's so great to feel like a team with all the others doing it, and fighting on together in attempt to reach 50,000, but not without a bit of "haha, I'm doing better than that person, woohoo!" on my part.
Ooh, this reminds me. Nanobars! I suppose the forum hack will have been lost, but I think I - *checks* - yeah, I still have my old javascript version if it comes to that. :D

But bah, I need ideas. D: I would feel a whole lot more secure about my chances of success this year if I had a good, solid idea to focus on.

Hmm. Question for ye Wrimos: do you (or would you) prefer to finish November with a significant and respectable amount (say, 30k words) of decent-ish writing, or fifty thousand words of totally irredeemable tripe? Because in the last two years, I've done both. Gotta say, the buzz of passing 50k is great, but it's heartening to have something lengthy that isn't quite so depressing to read over later (the downside being that I'll probably never finish it now, of course).

Ha, I almost forgot about it until I got a reminder email a few days ago.

Goodness knows I'd like to try again, even after last year's miserably disheartening failure, because for the love of god I cannot write ANYTHING and it has to stop. It's driving me effing crazy. I think the last time I was really able to get any significant work done on a written project that wasn't for school was seven effing years ago. It was a horrible piece of Bad Fanfic crap and I didn't finish it (which, given that it was a Bad Fanfic, is probably for the best now I look at it), but for a few months I was actually able to sit down in front of my computer and focus on nothing but writing that damn story. Apparently I need to be twelve years old and an idiot to boot to be able to write anything with any sort of dedication ;_;

Anyway, glutton for punishment that I am determined to get back into the swing of writing as I am, yes, I am going to try again this year. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around (that thing I "blame Negrek for" in my signature, for one), so we'll see what comes of them.

EDIT: As for your question, Cryssie... I don't really know which I'd prefer. Getting beyond the 10,000-word mark is going to be absolutely amazing for me. :/ I guess the 50,000, though, as a small part of my writing hangup appears to be my inability to leave errors alone. I need to teach myself to just get the first draft out, let it be a first draft and then edit it later.

I really would like to participate this year but I probably won't. I've got three resits to revise for [January resits are a bitch] as well as a biology exam and the general work that I have to do for my French course - exposé, my project, blah blah blah - so I doubt I'll have time.

I don't want to start only to fail so I'm not sure if I will.

I might attempt to write in NaNoWriMo if I can find any form of inspiration. As for myself and writing? I've never tried, but I'd really like to try and get into it.

D: I'm not! I'm going to MULTI-TASK -superhero pose-

How I'm going to balance RPing, writing and studying I don't know. My social life will have to die. :[ noooo~

Also I had 10k words of irredeemable crap by the end. Dx I loathed it. I'M GOING TO DO BETTER THIS TIME \o/

I'm doing an origfic for it this year. Not really sure what about, but I suppose I'll find out when I get there.

Also convinced two people in my dorm to do it with me, and one of them said she might mention it to some of her other friends (whom I don't really like but if they want to come along whatever I shall crush them), so unless they totally bail on me I'll have some RL motivation to keep going on it.

As for the irredeemable crap vs incomplete wordcount question, I'd rather have something redeemable. I know I'm capable of over 100,000 words if given enough time, so if I'm not going to be able to do anything with it later, I'm not going to be terribly happy.

I'm really excited for NaNo this year. I did it last year, and won (with some time to spare), but I came out with an atrocious novel and I haven't touched it since. So this year, my goal is write 50,000 decent[/i words. :P

I already know the basic plot, setting, and characters about I'm going to write about, so I really can't wait to get started. BUT we still have a month and a half. :( I guess in half a month, we can start setting up our profiles and stuff, which is always fun. :D

(to answer your question, Cryssie, I'd rather have the 50,000 words)

I heard of it last year here and poked around the site a little and decided that I want to do it. If i don't make the word count i'll have at least worked on my writing skills, and I enjoy a challenge.

I might try it. Hopefully it'll improve my mediocre writing skills.

How the heck I'm going to balance out NaNo and Freedom is a mystery. ^^

Last edited:
Possibly. When I first saw this thread I thought "ooh, I should do it with that one original story I planned! <3"... until I realized that I would probably have no time to keep up my average word count because I have marching band and the Girl Scout Silver Award as other commitments, and not yet having a very good plot for a story, aside from "this is the beginning - this is what happens after they find the crystals (which is the whole plot of the story - and takes a long time - but only starts around a quarter of the way through) - this is the whole scene that takes place immediately after - and this is what happens once the main character returns (which her finding out how to return takes up a very good portion of the story). Meh. Not to mention I never write very long chapters anyway, so even if I did get a halfway decent plot I likely would not get 50,000 words with the commitments and all.

I'll consider it, though. This will be my first NaNoWriMo if I decide to do it, and outside of marching band I have about four hours a day to write (seven hours of not-school ftw), and I type fairly fast at that. <3

Hmm. Question for ye Wrimos: do you (or would you) prefer to finish November with a significant and respectable amount (say, 30k words) of decent-ish writing, or fifty thousand words of totally irredeemable tripe?

Revising is easy; writing is hard.

I have an idea for NoWriMo, but I need to spend time plotting it out at some point.

Last edited:
Going to try again this year. Might break 2k this time!

am more likely to go for random ficbits instead of an actual novel though

I did NaNo in August (AugNoWriMo) and it was a sweet little community. And I actually finished a novel a bit over the 50K mark, in 9 days. Admittedly it was summer and I wrote 5+ hours each day, but still.

So definitely going to do it. Not sure what I'm going to write, as Pokemon fanfic and I don't get along when speed is desirable.

Really, NaNo doesn't improve your writing skills so much as getting a novel down on paper... But if you aren't writing consistently anyways it will.

Back
Top Bottom