• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters
I think I recall seeing a page last year that had goals for average word count each day... it's like 1667 a day or something like that, right? I'm already at 1613 words as I speak... xD

Don't be deceived, though, because it's always easy at the start.

currently at 3,666 words and finding it hard to concentrate. I'm also out later on today and busy a lot next weekend, so this is going to be hard for me, especially with probable coursework.

Last edited:
Damn it. I totally forgot about the first day of NaNo. This has discouraged me from doing the whole thing. :( Oh well... maybe next year.

Okay, it's official: I'm doing pseudo-NaNo and trying to up my combined word count for The Quest for the Legends and Morphic by 50,000.

So, starting statistics:
Morphic: 24,279 words
TQftL: 208,862 words
Total: 233,141 words
Goal: 283,141 words

I will conquer you, chapter 46!

Okay, I know this is a stupid question: How do you update your word count?

I feel like an idiot, but my word count thing is grayed out.

EDIT: Nevermind, I read the FAQ and I figured it out.

Last edited:
Hurr, I haven't thought of a plotline, so I'm going to do semi-NaNo, by doing the novel I'm writing atm without the prologue. Here we go.

Okay.....I figured out how to update my word count, but the box where you have to copy and paste your story is grayed out and I can't click inside of it. I tried just to put the number that my Word document, but I guess they think you'll cheat... Any thoughts?

hey hey Leafpool our band played Thriller at the Halloween game last night.

Anyway, I've written about a paragraph of the prologue and still have an essay due Monday. :( I hope I can finish it.

Okay.....I figured out how to update my word count, but the box where you have to copy and paste your story is grayed out and I can't click inside of it. I tried just to put the number that my Word document, but I guess they think you'll cheat... Any thoughts?

They don't really care if you "cheat", and they wouldn't provide an option for manually inputting the number if they weren't going to trust you to be honest. I mean, it says in the FAQ that in the end you're only being dumb if you actually are "cheating" for a little webpage banner or to "show off" to your friends, and it doesn't affect them in any way. Everyone else has been manually entering what their word processsor's count is.

The front page has announced several times that the box is grayed out because it isn't working yet. It should be functional tonight.

They don't really care if you "cheat", and they wouldn't provide an option for manually inputting the number if they weren't going to trust you to be honest. I mean, it says in the FAQ that in the end you're only being dumb if you actually are "cheating" for a little webpage banner or to "show off" to your friends, and it doesn't affect them in any way. Everyone else has been manually entering what their word processsor's count is.

The front page has announced several times that the box is grayed out because it isn't working yet. It should be functional tonight.

I wouldn't cheat, but I was hoping to show off some of my progress. =]
Maybe I should start reading the front page...

YAY I'M HOME NOW AND I'M GOING TO WRITE LIKE FUCK

I just decided one of my main characters is Mexican :D
... I have no idea WHY but his dad is awesome.

ugh i've got 477 words of the prologue
i'm fucking tired and i swam three miles or so this morning so it's hard to think coherently.

Almost at 1667 words right now and that's already... pretty much what my entire wordcount for the month was last year, iirc. D: Granted, a good portion of it is actually snippets from the climax and the end, and an even better portion of it is actually a fairly detailed summary, but as I plan to just expand the summary step by step into actual scenes and junk it counts. So it's kind of messy and all over the place but I don't care because they're still words and it's constructive.

I'm feeling pretty good right now because I just realized that, out of the characters I have plans for so far, at least two of them have tendencies to ramble/waffle constantly. I can ramble and waffle without it being cheap or last-ditch, ahaha!

...On the other hand, I don't have enough red herring suspects for my story yet... argh. Hopefully Wicky and Tyro will waffle some up for me. :/

... for some reason I have like three lines for what I intend on writing and it is slightly purple. Slightly.

In other news, my file for random fanfic seems to be lengthening.

You know, I knew this was going to happen but Skye, referencing six TVTropes in under three paragraphs is Not A Good Thing.

I'm at 1,080 words and counting.

Is anyone else having trouble loading the NaNoWriMo site? I'm on Mozilla and every so often instead of loading, a "Page Load Error" pops up. Maybe it's just my computer. Ugh. Stupid hand-me-downs. -_-

The site is always slow for the first week or so. Once lots of people drop out it'll get quieter.

I'm totally not the impatient one here :(

AAAHHHHH HELP IT'S SO TRITE AND BORING AND SLOW AND PATHETIC. ;;

This is depressing, but bah, I'll be damned if I'm giving up now...

Mmkay! 411 words... I suppose that's not bad, having been gone most of the day. It shouldn't take me long to write more, though. I really ought to get some homework done, but I am already on the computer, and I do have tomorrow to do homework...

Back
Top Bottom